Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th July 2004, 11:24 PM   #1
Trivia-Wolf

Default Scams - Scams and More Scams

Those of us who have been on the computer awhile know about the growing number of "send me your information" scams. Unfortunately, we are not the majority of computer users.

Hopefully everyone who uses ebay or PayPal know that they never ask for your personal info in an e-mail. If you should receive a request, forward the entire e-mail to either [email protected] or [email protected]. Then delete the requesting e-mail.

Within the past week, I've started getting the same type of e-mails from Citi Bank, looking to verify credit card info. Since I don't know where to forward the e-mail, I just delete it.

Today, one of my clients who just renewed their domain name, received an e-mail from another hosting company saying all they need to do is "click here" and their transfer for the domain name server and hosting provider will be complete. After the client pressed the "I agree" button she decided to call me saying, "I thought we were finished, but then I got this e-mail."

The red flag went up, and I immediately contacted my hosting provider and explained what happened. Told them in no uncertain terms that the site was not to be moved. They replied that indeed the site is OK, and that the company originating the request was a "scam company" and has a law suit(s) filed against them for their shady practice.

The bottom line here is, while I thought my clients were all in tune with this type of scam, they are not. So, I stated putting out an e-mail to my clients informing them of the things that can bite. I suggest that if you do web sites, or know of others that do sites, tell them to keep their clients informed and never assume that they are in tune will all the scams and nasties out there.

I hope that at least for some of you who read this, it's new, or at least useful information. Thanks for reading....
Paul

Trivia-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th July 2004, 04:41 PM   #2
K.S. Katz

Yeah, a lot of these emails can be classified as phishing. There's actually a Anti-Phishing Working Group (www.antiphishing.org/) that tracks these phony emails.

Also, I wrote an article about phishing (www.creditguard.org/press_release_3.html), which gives some tips on how to spot phishing and how to protect yourself against it.

Last edited by K.S. Katz; 30th July 2004 at 04:43 PM.
K.S. Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivia-Wolf
I suggest that if you do web sites, or know of others that do sites, tell them to keep their clients informed and never assume that they are in tune will all the scams and nasties out there.
This is a very important topic and that is excellent advice. It will not only save your clients from loss, it can also save you from a number of headaches.

Old 31st July 2004, 12:17 PM   #4
BossBean

Default Great advice from Trivia Wolf !

I agree with Robert completely.

I see these phishing expeditions and other assorted junk in my inbox every day. I am constantly amazed that ANYONE would fall for any of it.

But my arrogance blinds me to the fact that some people DO fall for it - otherwise nobody would do it!

Thanks for that insight. I will pay more attention to the fact that I probably have customers who will fall for this kind of thing too.

Oh, and I got some of the same things from Chase Bank. I sent them along to my contact in New York. She was just as amazed as I was that anyone would fall for it. Gee. Chase Manhattan Bank, arrogant too?

Alan
Delaware Intercorp, Inc.

Last edited by BossBean; 31st July 2004 at 12:19 PM.
BossBean is offline   Reply With Quote