Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2014, 02:03 PM   #1
scc4561

Default Need Website Advice, Opinions On Quality

I have a small auto glass business in florida. I've built some basic websites but always wonder how i could make them better, for search ranking and general quality. I'm limited on experience, time and money. What do you think and what would you do? one of my sites is and i'm not looking for your business just your opinion and suggestions how to get upgrades without breaking the bank. I have 4 sites but i will only list one of them. www.autoglassrepairjacksonville.com. I'm lost in a way and time is truly my largest obstacle.

Steve

scc4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Fary Matter

Hi scc4561,

well, you don't need to pay too much for having an established 'basic' website but I would say you can have a better design without spending an additional penny.

Some design tips to consider:
- The site needs a good logo
- Get ride of the horizontal scroll
- More images with better colors contrast

For marketing tips:
- You need to establish a 'local' marketing plan to target probable customers in your area.
- Find a relevant keyword for your customers preferable including your location.
- Now further establish the rest of marketing plan accordingly

~ Fary

Fary Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Spider
VIP Contributor

In my opinion, Steve, your website needs the benefit of a professional web designer. There is much that good design can do for you that non-designers would be unable to explain.

One alternative available to you is web.com. They are advertising that they will create a website free of charge and, if you like it and decide to keep it, they will charge you "a small amount" per month. I haven't investigated this so cannot comment, but you may want to check them out for a no initial cost way of getting a professionally designed website for your business.

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 05:57 AM   #4
PKaki

Send a message via Skype™ to PKaki

As Spider said you need to tune up the quality of design - images on the left need to be transparent, good logo, coloring and detailing...

PKaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 06:12 AM   #5
tzzrd

Steve,

Hi. I actually make websites for a living. Looks like you're using Godaddy's site builder. It looks not-so-good.

If you want to save dough, just head to squarespace.com. Make your own site. They have certain templates in place so there is your quality control for your site.

Also, keep your design and marketing separate. They are two completely different things and performed best by 2 different companies or at least people.

Old 22nd January 2015, 05:52 AM   #6
deadmix

Hello,

First i wish you goodluck for your business.

we all agree that the design is kinda basic and oldies... you can do better by keeping the content and using Wordpress FREE theme which can give a modern look to your website...

Think about mobiles too.. the website must be Responsive...

Goodluck

deadmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 05:42 PM   #7
natemcmullin

WordPress would definitely help and some great themes. One of my favorite themes has been Divi by Elegant Themes, it allows for great drag/drop page building and really unique looks (vs a lot of the same old themes that always show up). Also WooThemes, a bit pricier, also make sure your site is responsive and loads well on mobile devices, huge factor ...

natemcmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 04:56 AM   #8
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

If you are comfortable with HTML, you can buy nicely designed web templates at around $20 and modify to your needs. Your current webpage looks like those from the 90s.

Otherwise, you may want to engage a proper web designer. Also, I think it would be good to keep your domain name short. I am not sure about others, but long domain names somehow irritates me.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 12:31 AM   #9
Gogsi

Steve,

In order to rank higher and have an overall improved feel to the site, I suggest the following (my suggestions, based on experience in the field, others may disagree and they have the right to):

- New Professional Looking Logo
- Keep the Phone Numbers
- Move Your Website to WordPress.org (This is not difficult to do and your host provider should have a 1-click install option; most do)
- WordPress has a short learning curve for the basics, and for what you are trying to accomplish it is ideal.
- Search for professional looking themes at ThemeForest.com; there are some really good free ones out there.
- Once the new theme is installed, you will be amazed at how much better your website will look.

(The above may sound like a complicated process if you are not familiar with online blogging too much, but believe me it is not. Since you say you built these sites, you are more than equipped for this task).

Now comes the fun part, ranking:
- Questions to Answer:
1. Do you have the knowledge and time to write articles for your website?
2. Do you have the side funds to either: Pay for Ads on Search Engines (PPC) or Pay for Content (SEO)?

I recommend:
- Adding a blog section to the site, title it whatever you think is best. Resource/News/Info/Blog
- Put up a couple articles on the website, maybe 4-5 to start off; depending on you situation.
- The more content the better; make sure your content is focused on auto glass repair and the headaches consumers have in dealing with that. I am sure you can come up with a ton of specific topics to either write about or have someone write.
- If you cannot write it yourself, order it from textbroker.com
- Once your content is done, make sure you include the problem you are targeting in the Header and a few times in the article itself. For example you can write something like "Common Mistakes People Make When Choosing Insurance Plans" and talk about how insurance plans in FL automatically cover windshield repairs and what not.
- Ideally you would post one article a week, but I know that may be asking too much, so do it either twice a month or once a month; after the initial 4-5 articles you post. The initial ones post at the start.
- Anyway, without writing a novel here, do that and also try to link with relevant parties in the industry that have an online presence to increase your online network and you should see an increase in rankings.

I know this is a very condensed version of how it is done, so if you have do by some chance decide to pursue this and need some assistance, please feel free to reach out to me.

~ G

Gogsi is offline   Reply With Quote