Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Best Marketing Methods...

My clients often ask me, "What is the best marketing method for my business? My answer is always the same. "There is no best marketing method." All legitimate marketing methods work. It's just a matter of finding which method works best for you. For instance, I happen to prefer article marketing. Does that mean article marketing is the best marketing method? No. It simply means that's the method of marketing that I prefer. That method works well for me.

The key to effective marketing is to test different marketing methods, until you find something that works well for you. Marketing is not "one size fits all." Never has been, never will be. Not all methods work for everyone. Different methods work for different businesses. Test pay-per-click, article marketing, ezine advertising, etc. As well as offline advertising like direct mail, magazine advertising, yellow pages, newspaper advertising, community shoppers, etc. Approach each method with an open mind, be patient and track your results carefully, so that you'll know what's working and what isn't.

But whatever you do, don't ever continue beating a dead horse. If something isn't working after a reasonable amount of time...drop it. Conversely, when you find something that works, continue using it until you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Dale, thanks for sharing. I gravitate to seo. My experience is that most find a single way that works for them, and they become dependent on it. While all marketing tactics won't work for everyone, I think one of the most important things is to have multiple marketing tactics that are effective. I can't say that I've had great success with other tactics, but I guess other tactics that have worked well for me are yellow pages and direct sales.

Dale, outside of article marketing, I'm curious what other tactic has worked second best for you?

Old 12th November 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Dale, I'm interested to know what you think is the "reasonable amount of time" for trying out a marketing technique beore dropping it. The more reason so if the technique costs money.

Thanks! Nice post again Dale!

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hi Dale, thanks for sharing. I gravitate to seo. My experience is that most find a single way that works for them, and they become dependent on it. While all marketing tactics won't work for everyone, I think one of the most important things is to have multiple marketing tactics that are effective. I can't say that I've had great success with other tactics, but I guess other tactics that have worked well for me are yellow pages and direct sales.

Dale, outside of article marketing, I'm curious what other tactic has worked second best for you?
Hello Logan:

You're quite welcome! Believe it or not, after article marketing, forum posting has been my most effective method of marketing.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 12th November 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12th November 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilks_eye View Post
Dale, I'm interested to know what you think is the "reasonable amount of time" for trying out a marketing technique beore dropping it. The more reason so if the technique costs money.

Thanks! Nice post again Dale!
Thanks, Wilks! That's a tough question to answer, because there are a variety of factors involved and every situation is different. But I'll try to answer your question as best I can.

Suppose you decide to do a direct mail campaign. If you have all your ducks in a row, including a compelling offer and a good targeted list, if you don't at least break even on your initial mailing, I personally wouldn't do a follow-up mailing, because its been my experience that with each successive mailing, the response rate generally goes down.

Here's another example: A lot of ezines will offer you a free ad if you purchase three ads in advance. I wouldn't take that offer, because if your ad doesn't pull the first time around, running it additional times isn't going to make it pull any better.

Here's one final example: I've had pay-per-click campaigns start out slowly and just as I was about to pull the plug, suddenly explode. So it's best to be a little bit more patient with with PPC.

Generally speaking, when you find something that works, stick with it until you reach a point of dimiinishing returns. Like I said previously, there are a variety of factors involved, and every situation is different, but the aforementioned examples are good rules of thumb. Something else to keep in mind. These are my own personal experiences. Others may have entirely different experiences altogether.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 13th November 2007 at 07:29 AM.