Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Working at Home Isn?t All Fun and Games

Here is an article that makes you think it all out before you make the move to have your own home business.

"I don?t think that anyone could ever honestly tell you that there is one no-fail method of how to become your own boss and establish a ?successful? at-home business. The variables are endless and there is no way to provide you with a formula for how you go about setting yourself up as an entrepreneur."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...to/002008.html

What do you think of the author's view?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th July 2005, 06:33 PM   #2
A Little Hut

I've worked from home for the past 5 years. Similar to what the author says my husband is a full-time employee that earns a decent wage so I'm not in the position of having to put food on the table per say. Yes, it takes discipline and yes, there are drawbacks but I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, my plan is never to work for anyone else again. I just can't see myself doing it. I have the quantity of work that I can handle at this point (having two small children affects that) and my career (graphic designer) completely lends itself to working online (most of my clients are out-of-state).

In a nutshell, I agree with most of what is said in the article. Working at home is not for everyone but it can definitely be done. I think the only thing that I'm really missing is a networking community that is geared toward the stay-at-home-mom/entrepreneur. All networking opportunities that I see around here offer lunches as their networking meetings...where am I supposed to leave the kids?! I can't be the only one with this dilemma!

A Little Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
yellowwing
VIP Contributor

From the Article:
Quote:
The list of questions goes on. And this doesn’t begin to address the “what ifs” that go hand-in-hand with working at home. What if you don’t have any work this week? What if work doesn’t come in the week after that? What if you get sick and can’t finish a project on time? What if your client doesn’t pay you on time? What if your client doesn’t pay you at all?
That's can be a sticky wicket. Diversifying clientele helps ensure a good spectrum of payment. If one client is late (or goes bankrupt), you still a few more checks coming.

I had dreamed of making my own hours. I did not know then that it meant making your own 60+ hours a week! I can get easily distracted at times. Errands to run, or if there is a boring work task at hand doing the dishes and laundry seems like a good idea.

yellowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 09:56 AM   #4
moraviaspy

Send a message via AIM to moraviaspy Send a message via Skype™ to moraviaspy

Default Business is Business

I currently work from home and for the most part enjoy it very much. As I read the article it appeared to me that the author was making at home jobs sound like they were different than out of home jobs. I think the key issue to remember is that most 'work-at-home' jobs mean that you are running your own business and running your own business involves discipline and management whether it's at home or in an office. It also means for a good number of home businesses that you are the sole player and must do everything.

Securing the work or sales is necessary for any business. When there is no next project (ie. no new website for a web designer) then your job becomes marketer/sales person. You've got to find a way to get the work. I find this the toughest part because I don't enjoy sales. However the ability to take that break and take a walk or clean the sock draw gives me time to think and plan. That helps to relieve the stress and clear my mind so I can get back to my work at hand.

I enjoy the most, the ability to think out of the box and make decisions on my own. Looking at all attempts, whether successful or not, as learning experiences keeps me moving forward.

I am tempted to give in every once in awhile, when bills are due and the dollar is short, to go back to a full-time job. However, when I re-evaluate the benefits of my current situation, I think I want to keep plugging away and working towards success.

At 57 I've copped out to my dreams too many times.

Old 6th July 2005, 10:12 AM   #5
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hut
Yes, it takes discipline and yes, there are drawbacks but I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, my plan is never to work for anyone else again.
Amen to that littlehut!

Michele

Old 7th July 2005, 10:07 AM   #6
flastate

Default Responsibility and Discipline

Hi there, I've enjoyed this thread so much. In the past 6 years I've developed 1 parent company and 3 subsidiaries. All of them are home based but each has a different set of responsibilities. The last subsidiary became do big so fast that I incorporated it and had it assigned it's own EIN#. This service company I manage for my 2 son's and their location is still our home address. For the last 18 years I've worked for a major university in business management and this experience has helped me in these ventures. I plan to open a storefront retail business in March 2006 but will salary a full-time General Manager to conduct day-to-day business. This Mgr. is highly skilled and proven in the industry. I plan to retire (59) and will work from my home office in a dual managing role; my son's 1/2 day and mine the remainder. This is where discipline is critical and balance is so important. I can and WILL do this as all my years as an entrepreneur were in preparation for the here and now. Although there is so much work ahead, I can't wait.

flastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2005, 12:33 AM   #7
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hut
All networking opportunities that I see around here offer lunches as their networking meetings...where am I supposed to leave the kids?! I can't be the only one with this dilemma!
That made me think... how about having an afternoon networking event at one of those moonwalk places where it's giant room filled with a bunch of inflated castles, slides, etc. that the kids could jump on. The adults could sit in the middle on the floor and network while the kids played. Everyone would be used to and understand frequent interruptions in that environment.

Or, how about McDonalds where you can go in the playroom and the kids can play while the adults network.

Old 8th July 2005, 11:57 AM   #8
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I worked at home for several years before I had to hire employees and move to a "real" office. While at home I treated my work as if it was any other job. I got to work "on time" and limited all personal errands to after work hours. Of course, I was homeschooling up to three kids at a time but we won't talk about those days.

The one battle I had to fight was getting my wife (when she was not working) to stop asking me to do little jobs around the house while I was working. SHE had a harder time with the "I'm at work" concept than I did.

Personally, I'm glad to be out of the house. I enjoyed while I was there and would have no problems working from home again, but the office allows me more time to work and get things done.

Old 8th July 2005, 02:39 PM   #9
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I do my best "at-home" work at my full-time (employer's) office after-hours. I just shut my door and "go to work." My wife tends to need things when I'm actually at home!

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote