Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th August 2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default MSN, AOL, Ask.com and Yahoo! Speculate on Search

Jennifer (Username: thejenn) has written a review of one of the sessions at Search Engine Strategies this morning:

MSN, AOL, Ask.com and Yahoo! Speculate on Search
http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/001933.html

Snippet:
Danny Sullivan moderated a panel of four top search executives this morning as they discussed a variety of issues impacting the search industry at the 2004 Search Engine Strategies San Jose conference. Representatives from MSN, Ask Jeeves, Yahoo! and AOL search sat down with Sullivan for Q&A that ranged from personalized search to how search engine marketers are impacting the industry.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th August 2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

...All four representatives explained that the growing emphasis on search marketing and conversion rates has helped to improve the quality of their listings by encouraging Web site owners to develop quality content and to build sites that the search engines can properly index...

That's music to my ears. It's probably not a surprise, but it's nice to hear.

...Ask Jeeves' Paul Gardi explained that 10% of Ask queries are specifically related to localized queries, which made it fairly obvious that they needed to invest time and effort into that area of search...

I suppose that has something to do with their newpartnership with CitySearch.

I have to admit, I hear about 'personlized' search all the time, and I do like the idea. Although I might feel a bit reluctant to give out personal info to make my search better. It sounds like they realize this can be a hurdle and hopefully they'll turn the hurdle into a small speed bump.

Nice article - it's good to see views and plans of the actual SE's.

Paul

Old 24th August 2004, 03:39 PM   #3
StupidScript
Administrator

I'm still a bit confused about why someone would want an integrated search on their desktop for searching email, docs, etc. AND the web? Don't people know which area they want to search? Are they likely to find useable info on the web when they are looking for something in an old email? Are they likely to find info in an old email when they are looking for something on the web?

About the only real value I can see goes to the search engine, which gains "personalized" data they could use in future search technology development.

I would far prefer the engines spend time grouping and categorizing for "drill-down" searching.

What am I missing?

BTW, nice report, Jennifer! I feel like I sat through the whole presentation!

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote