Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th September 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Cody

Default Flash Web Sites - Pros and Cons

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to market this product, so I wont post the link to this flash web builder, but I will at a later date if someone gives me the green light!

First off, I found this website when I offered to make a team website for a video game I used to play. At some point during my search for a web builder, I ran into this flash building site. I think they have three versions and I used the free one. There are also three above the free version. I'll start a small pros/cons list, and if anyone has anything the list should or shouldn't have, please tell me.

Pros:
-Creating a site is very easy.
-May only take a few minutes to get one up and running.
-Nice features, such as a chat room, forum, blog, Ecommerce tools, and probably many more.

Cons:
-Prices: There are two versions are between $100-$200 USD a year, which is what you'd probably want for a small business. The other one or two have very little tools and/or low bandwidth.
-Some people make not have a flash plug-in. It'll give you the option to download it, but some people may choose not to.
-Slow load times. Especially if you're on dial up. I'm on a 512k, and a few sites I went to had 5-7 second load times.

Like I said above, please reply with questions or comments. This could be a way for computer illiterate people to start designing their own web pages.

Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th September 2006, 09:21 AM   #2
LimCS

Another big cons: Not search engine friendly

LimCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

I think it really depends on your market. If it is a game or a musician, etc, then flash might be a pretty good way to go.

I would always though make an HTML copy as well just in case some people are still on dial-up and for the search engines.

Old 28th September 2006, 09:31 AM   #4
JGAviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimCS View Post
Another big cons: Not search engine friendly
Can you explain more about this? I wanted to redo one of my sites using some Flash, but if it's going to hurt in the search engines, then I won't do it.

Old 28th September 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Basically think of flash as not visible to the search engines. If you have an all flash site, then the site is not visible to the search engines. If you use 'flash elements' and the page can stand on its own without flash in the search engines... then it is okay

Old 28th September 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
JGAviator

So having a Flash Header is ok?

Old 28th September 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Sure, if just the header element and plenty of html/navigation to go along with it outside of the flash. Basically, consider the page without the flash element is what the search engines see. I have many sites with a top flash header with the rest of the page optimized and ranking well in the search engines. Very different though from a pure flash site.

Old 28th September 2006, 12:43 PM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm told the SWFObject script is an excellent way to serve Flash with alternative HTML content on a web page. (Link leads to an article on the Adobe site where you can download the script.) According to the article: "SWFObject degrades gracefully, can be used in valid HTML and XHTML 1.0 documents... and is forward-compatible."

HTH!

--Torka

Old 17th April 2010, 08:10 PM   #9
WebGuruSteve

Default Flash Sites

Yes I totally agree having a total flash site is a very bad idea. It may look pretty but will load slowly and yes the search engines will not index it properly. If you want to use flash then have specific elements like a header or a few sections on a few pages to have flash elements.

Another good alternative is Silverlight but this requires a plug in to be installed in your visitors browser (it is very small and a quick download). Again you will only want pieces of your site to be Silverlight elements.

BTW if you want to get blown away by a cool site using Silverlight then you need to check this out: http://memorabilia.hardrock.com/

WebGuruSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 06:11 AM   #10
netometry

You need to have a <summary tag for any flash.

With the oncoming html5, i reccomend switching to jquery. There is a new html5 element called <canvas that may intrest you.

If you want a sweet flash site that's easy to build try googling "wix".

I wouldn't base a site on flash if i were a startup but if your url is a year or 2 old and you have a PR, i feel it's ok to migrate to ... less search friendly methods.

netometry is offline   Reply With Quote