Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th November 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
mystery

Default Expired Domains Traffic?!

Has anyone heard of expired domains traffic? There are services that sell traffic of expired domains... anyone tried these?

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th November 2006, 11:09 AM   #2
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I haven't tried one, but I think it's like anything in that you would want to look way beyond the initial promise into what you'd really be buying.

Just grabbing any domain because it comes with traffic doesn't mean any of that traffic is targeted in any way towards your topic.

For the most part I would think that businesses selling expired domains are selling promises more than they are anything of value. If you sell audio equipment and are buying a domain that used to sell hearing aids I wouldn't think the traffic you'd be getting is going to be all the useful to you.

You also need to know the history of the expired domain. It could well be expired because the previous owner practiced some risky seo and the domain has been banned by the major search engines. You might be inheriting the problems of the domain along with the promise of traffic.

On the other hand if you find a domain that was run cleanly and on the same topic as your site it might bring in some target trafiic that you may be able to keep.

Old 14th November 2006, 01:16 PM   #3
mystery

I think you are right vangogh, but those services allow you to browse between categories and to choose the site that matches your main site's content to get it's traffic. On the other hand, I can't see how you could possibly "inherit" the problems of a supposed banned domain. My site wouldn't be doing the same illegal seo activities as the banned one, I'm only getting traffic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 14th November 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Denis Schwartz

Default Traffic from dead domains ...

Hello everyone, it's good to be back. I have been working tirelessly on our website for CATS.

About this 'traffic from dead domains'...I just bought a 'targeted traffic' pkg for 10,000 names from a company I found on the internet. I'm not sure I should print the name in the forum but anyone who wants to send me an email I will be more than happy to share with you. We are supposed to get the first hits within 48 hours of the purchase and the full 10,000 within 30 days (normally). The offer comes with a 100% money back guarantee (but enforcing that could be difficult)

We made the purchase last nite (11/13-10:00pm) and I not had any hits yet... We have our collective fingers crossed. Not only did this cost $89.90 but it is our FIRST major email blast [so-to speak] and have a lots of hopes hingeing on it. I will let you all know how it works out in a success-vs-failure kinda way but if you want any specifics you will have to send me an email.

Hang in there Mystery.
denis

Last edited by Denis Schwartz; 14th November 2006 at 06:11 PM. Reason: punctual errors...I am bad!!
Denis Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Dale King
VIP Contributor

To my knowledge, when you buy one of those traffic packages - 10,000 hits for $89 or $99, all you're going to get is a bunch of garbage traffic.

Remember the saying, "garbage in, garbage out?"

Oh, you'll get plenty of hits to be sure - but you'll also get zero sales!

What's amazing to me is how people keep falling for this scam over and over again.

Caveat emptor!

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Robert
Administrator

Yeah, if it's not too late try and cancel the order.

Old 16th November 2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Denis Schwartz

Default more on Dead Domain names ...

Well Dale ... It is now past the 48hour mark and we have NOT received any hits!
It appears you are partially correct...we not only have not received any 'targeted traffic', we have not received any traffic at all!

Mystery, you were a wise person to question BEFORE investing!

Denis S

Denis Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 11:06 AM   #8
mystery

Well It's a habit Denis friend I can't tell you how much I've been saved from rushing to buy from useless or overly expensive services, after researching and asking.

Sorry to hear you were punked. As much as I think that Dale is correct, it still amazes me that I occasionally find people satisfied with their results from such services, and at such prices. I just think that you were unlucky in choosing the service, as apparently they are scam. I have the names of 2 well known services in this domain and people claim they are very good. Don't know if I'm allowed to say the names here. Found a post made by someone asking about such services, in which Stone Evans jumped in, expressed interest in them, asked the guy some questions and said he'll investigate but never came back.

Dale, in your opinion, about how much should a legitimate service charge for 10,000 hits?

Mystery ..