Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th March 2006, 09:31 PM   #1
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese
Default Has anyone used business plan pro?

I am contemplating buying Business Plan Pro, but I stopped when I saw the $100 price tag. Has anyone used this product? Is it worth $100? What could the software do better?

Old 30th March 2006, 02:42 AM   #2
Gav

Hi Friese

I would happily send you a business plan draft, where you fill in the blanks if you like. We use this style of draft whenever we setup new businesses. It is broken down into categories such as Business Description, SWAT for personla and Business, etc. Just let me know where to email it to if you would like a copy of this.

Regards

Gav

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 04:04 AM   #3
Gav

Hi Friese

I've placed the file online for you to download (and anyone else that perhaps requires a small hand in getting their first business plan written) - Simply click here to download the Example Business Plan in Word Format

Regards

Gav

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 06:03 AM   #4
albreuk

Send a message via ICQ to albreuk Send a message via Yahoo to albreuk
Default Business Plan download

Thanks gav for the download, I will enjoy evaluating it.

albreuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Bestmiler

Send a message via AIM to Bestmiler Send a message via MSN to Bestmiler

you can always search on ebay

Bestmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 08:59 PM   #6
friese

Send a message via Skype™ to friese

Thanks for the download Gav. I was really trying to get an idea of what people thought of the product. Is it really worth the $100 price tag?

Old 31st March 2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Maverick says...

Friese,

I am a business consultant and made many extensive business plans over the last 35 years involving billions of dollars. My answer to your question; I give Business Plan Pro a 9 on a scale of 10. That's about as high of a rating I give software. Of course, I've done many business plans without software or even templates, so I understand their format and structure.

I use the Premier edition and not familiar with the Standard edition because I need to import large amounts of financial data from Excel. The program can be a great time saver, and I feel the learning curve is slight.

I've been using this software for many years and will continue to use it. I do change much of the stock phrases and input info for originality. I feel you would benefit from the software only if you plan to do business plans on a regular basis, otherwise, a simple template out would probably suffice.

I like the SAMPLE business plans provided with BP Pro. It cuts down on reinventing the wheel as to what one should look like for the inexperienced, and gives examples of what's need in the category you are working on. Most importantly, I don't use their stock sentences and phrases for originality because a canned BP is often easy to identify by the experienced, cutting down on the originators credibility.

Palo Alto Software states about BP Pro:

Business Plan Pro is based on a business plan format recognized by banks, lenders, investors, and the Small Business Administration (SBA). Business Plan Pro walks you through the entire planning process and generates a complete, professional and ready to distribute plan with a proven formula for success. I agree with their statement.

I know highly experienced consultants state they donít use Mickey Mouse canned software. Generally, I find they often produce pretty BPís that took enormous amounts of time to produce and made a couple thousand dollars. I was paid $38,000 for one BP I created in BP Pro.

Here's a few links you may find interesting:
http://sba.org/?show=sba+business+plans
http://sba.org/

I purchase the upgrade about every 2 years. I've used other software like Business Plan Architect and Virgin's BP Software (I believe no longer available - my favorite)
Regards,
Maverick

Last edited by Maverick; 31st March 2006 at 12:25 AM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 08:38 PM   #8
DecoArtImports

I have the 2005 Business Plan Pro but I haven't used it until Now. So far, I like the easy use of it.

DecoArtImports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 06:13 AM   #9
patsquared

Default Business Plan Pro

I purchased Business Plan Pro about 3 years ago and have upgraded it every year since. I use the product in my business. I am a professional writer and work on business plans for my clients. The software provides a great format and outline for creating a business plan if this is something you are not used to doing. It also offers a ton of templates based on business type that I think are effective. Finally, one of the most powerful pieces of this software is the "financials." Every template has the suggested financial information you will need to provide to get funding. Only one caveat - to write a good business plan, you have to do your research, know your business thoroughly and be creative and passionate. If you ONLY use the Biz Plan Pro template and don't make it your own, the plan will be technically correct and less interesting than a pancake without sausage and syrup.

patsquared is offline   Reply With Quote