Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th September 2007, 11:34 PM   #1
Logan
Administrator

Default Tips For Evaluating A Directory

Matt Cutts (... Google) posted some tips he would consider for evaluating a directory -

Quote:
- Does the directory reject urls? If every url passes a review, the directory gets closer to just a list of links or a free-for-all link site.
- What is the quality of urls in the directory? Suppose a site rejects 25% of submissions, but the urls that are accepted/listed are still quite low-quality or spammy. That doesn't speak well to the quality of
the directory.
- If there is a fee, what's the purpose of the fee? For a high-quality directory, the fee is primarily for the time/effort for someone to do a genuine evaluation of a url or site.

From DigitalPoint
I think those are all good rule of thumbs you can't go wrong with and all come back to evaluating if a directory is listing high quality sites. Do you have a rule of thumb you use to evaluate directories?

Here are some directories that I think probably meet the above criteria.

BOTW
Business.com (B2B only)
DMOZ
Gimpsy
GoGuides
JoeAnt
Skaffe
Web Beacon
Yahoo

Which directories would you drop or add to the list?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th September 2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Do you have a rule of thumb you use to evaluate directories?
Sure and not surprising they're quite a bit different than the ones outlined by Google Engineer MC. I'm going to cut and paste my comments from an interview on SEOBook, here's the question Aaron asked:

Directories have fallen out of favor amongst many people on SEO forums. Do they still hold any weight? How do you tell if a directory is worth listing your site in?

Yeah, directory bashing by SEO’s seems to be the rage these days which is funny since so many of the newer ones have been developed by SEO’s.

The concept of “merit based inclusion” is what makes securing links in the better directories desirable. It’s reasoned that search engines bestow hub authority on these sites because human review is necessary before a site is included. And since human review is part of the co citation process search engines are programmed to reward, it stands to reason these types of sites would pass link popularity.

I use directories as a standard part of every link building service I offer and look at a number of things before I’ll submit:
  • Is the page my link will sit on in the Yahoo and Google index? If not, why?
  • Is it something simple like it’s a new page or is something blocking that spider?
  • Does the home page of the directory show PageRank but not the internal pages?
  • Do the directory pages host an inordinate amount of adsense? If they do, I pass. Same applies for site wide links. If there is more than a handful of site wides, I walk.
  • If it’s a paid directory, is it a lifetime or annual submission fee? I go for lifetime with the exception of the Yahoo! Directory which I advocate using if you’re a new business.
  • Do you have to use the name of your business in the anchor text link or will they allow descriptive keywords? If they do, I mix up the keywords and the descriptions.
  • Does the directory allow deep linking?
  • How long has the directory been online? My threshold is two years.
  • Does the directory have an RSS embedded on its category pages? This is a bonus for me as I can keep tabs via keyword settings on new sites being added.
  • And lastly – does the directory allow you to edit submissions? It’s helpful to be able to change your descriptions/anchors to reflect the changes in your business.

I always submit to the “tried and true” directories such as JoeAnt, Ezilon, GoGuides, BOTW, UnCoverThe Net and RubberStamped as well as any niche directories I can find.

And yes, I still try to get into DMOZ provided I find a category editor on the page I want to submit to. Otherwise I don’t bother anymore.

One last tip about using directories…You’ll find a lot of the niche and local directories are hobby sites run by enthusiasts or business owners. Look around these sites for email signup boxes or an indication they publish a newsletter. If they do, write the owner and ask if he’ll resell his mailing list or allow you to place a text link ad in their newsletter. You’ll find it’s an inexpensive way to reach a targeted audience.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 03:33 AM   #3
rollings

That is a good point to evaluate the directories. But You can get all of those Qualities at starting point. Those Qualities will attain slowly.

rollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Armando

I would say that trust of the domain is the only thing that matters to google. No matter how links are approved - how can Google know that? Is just a matter of backlinks for them....

Armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
I would say that trust of the domain is the only thing that matters to google
I've launched sites, thrown a handful of directory and ROS links at them and they've ranked within two weeks and stayed there. I have clients in competitive markets with younger domains than branded sites that are ranking over the branded sites based solely on their inbound links.

I don't know your definition of trust but mine is age of domain and quality of inbound links. I can get links from "trusted" sites and point them at my new site and outrank an oldie in a short amount of the time. So it's not just about trust, it's about smart marketing and good links.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
One last tip about using directories…
You’ll find a lot of the niche and local directories are hobby sites run by enthusiasts or business owners.
Look around these sites for email signup boxes or an indication they publish a newsletter.
If they do, write the owner and ask if he’ll resell his mailing list or allow you to place a text link ad in their newsletter.
You’ll find it’s an inexpensive way to reach a targeted audience.
This is a great tip, and ensures you get a unique spread of inbound links specific to your niche.
More time consuming, but in that lies the value...
I will be highlighting this and passing it on to owners to encourage them top be realistic with their advertising price point - too often the price asked is completely over the top.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 06:44 AM   #7
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Great stuff. It's become so difficult to know which directories are still worth it. Lately I've just been sticking with the quality paid directories like Yahoo, BOTW, JoeAnt etc.

Does anyone have any advice for finding niche directories?

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 06:31 AM   #8
karetra

Thanks Logan & Debra to taking some time out to put a light on clear-cut & practical evaluation criteria for directories.

karetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Jen 100

Quote:
One last tip about using directories…You’ll find a lot of the niche and local directories are hobby sites run by enthusiasts or business owners. Look around these sites for email signup boxes or an indication they publish a newsletter. If they do, write the owner and ask if he’ll resell his mailing list or allow you to place a text link ad in their newsletter. You’ll find it’s an inexpensive way to reach a targeted audience.
I'm curious if you've had a lot of success with this. I would think most would not be willing to sell their email list.

Old 24th July 2013, 05:09 AM   #10
scottbaird

Thanks for sharing such useful information. Directory listing is one of the best methods to create quality backlinks.

scottbaird is offline   Reply With Quote