Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th January 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
hscpub

Default Excessive Linking Problems with Google?

Hi. I have a friend (not me, I swear) who is an internet marketer for a living, specializing in reciprocal links. He had a large number of sites, his own in addition to his clients, maybe over a hundred in all, that went, overnight he claims, from the top of the Google rankings to taken off Google. He claims that he does not know what he did wrong and that Google will not respond to his contacts. Even though he's much more sophisticated than me and is doing his own inquires, I want to help him out. Another expert friend of mine who I asked about this talked to my friend and I think Google and said the problem was "excessive linking" though my friend says all of the links to the site are highly relevant. Does anybody know if there is a Google penalty for excessive linking? Thanks. Alex

hscpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th January 2005, 11:26 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Possibly somewhere along the line he linked to a bad site or even a bad neighborhood. These "bad" sites are typically known link farms and while one cannot get in to trouble if they link to you, they can certainly earn a penalty if they link to the link farm.

Also if a bunch of sites are linking to one another in an effort to cheat PageRank, then that too can garnish a penalty. Possibly you can provide some more specifics on what "your friend" actually did.

Old 1st February 2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Old Welsh Guy

I am with david on this, it seems like he has created a hub of sites that are cross linking. How is he doing on yahoo! as Y! is normally better at finding and penalising sites for cross linking.

Google has had a few liuttle shifts that seem to be link monger related over the last month or two. Looks like your friend got caught in a trawl.

Old 9th February 2005, 01:37 AM   #4
Richey

Google has penalized all of those sites yet. Some are still doing quite well, although they also have lots of other types of links.

Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Search4news

Send a message via Yahoo to Search4news
Exclamation

I was surprised to read about this penalty thing. How do we find out whether we are linking to a bad site and whether they are linking to link farms?

Search4news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 01:27 PM   #6
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The common sense approach in linking to other sites is to only link to sites that are useful to your own visitors. If you practice this, then you should never have a problem linking to a link farm.

However, if you sign up for one of these link exchanges, then you don't know who you are linking to and are treading dangerous waters.

Old 17th February 2005, 08:29 PM   #7
nsusa

I always recommend to place the links yourself and not to go through a link broker. Only that way you keep control on where your links are added and if it is really benefitial for your site.

Christoph

nsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 10:06 PM   #8
Search4news

Send a message via Yahoo to Search4news
Thumbs up

Thanks David and Cristoph for your information. Definitely, I will follow your advice.

Search4news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 09:30 AM   #9
LubovBondar

Default Thanks...

Thanks, gues, for such useful information. I will follow your advices.

LubovBondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 09:53 AM   #10
[email protected]

Send a message via MSN to wendy@tne.co.uk Send a message via Skype™ to wendy@tne.co.uk
Smile

Purchasing links, although easy and sometimes a temporary and quick caffeine type of fix, is nowhere near as rewarding in the long term as searching for sites that are complementary to the one you are attempting to organically grow.

Inbound links from authority sites are the absolute best, especially if .gov or .edu... these sites rarely link so when they do it tells search engines like Google that the site is judged to be a good authority on the topic it is publishing.

Try to avoid reciprocal links if you can... although not always avoidable for political and commercial reasons...

One of the sites I've been trying to build on recently offers loan servicing software and I'm negotiating links from sites such as loan officer training schools... an industry link that is not direct competition.

Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

wendy@tne.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote