Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
mikebmt

Lightbulb Mike'sWonder

Hi guys! I just got an amazing idea... I have lots of retail friends who has retail gas station and grocery stores! I am really thinking of starting some credit card processing service! Anyone has any idea about it! Or can anyone think of some business that I can do with 300 c-store B2B and make my living! I see these stores as an asset and instead of trying some products with luck I am actually thinking of using these c-store as assets and trying to think of some business idea which can flourish!
Your input is really needed and appreciated!

mikebmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd April 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
jgbreeden

The merchant account reselling business has a nice advantage in the perpetual commissions, but it is highly competitive. Everyone who gets a new business license gets bombarded with solicitors wanting to set them up for accepting cards.

But that group of business connections is definitely an asset worth capitalizing.

Talk to those business owners and find their pain point. What is a common annoying task that they wish the had a better solution for?

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 03:06 AM   #3
jamest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebmt View Post
Hi guys! I just got an amazing idea... I have lots of retail friends who has retail gas station and grocery stores! I am really thinking of starting some credit card processing service! Anyone has any idea about it! Or can anyone think of some business that I can do with 300 c-store B2B and make my living! I see these stores as an asset and instead of trying some products with luck I am actually thinking of using these c-store as assets and trying to think of some business idea which can flourish!
Your input is really needed and appreciated!
I think the best way for you to go about is to approach your retail friends and see the common pain points that they are having. From there you could mould a better idea.

Hope this helps.

Old 7th April 2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Handdy.com

Agreed. Payments processing industry is a highly competitive industry with very low margins, so unless you have good volume it might be difficult to make a profit.

Old 9th April 2013, 03:02 PM   #5
mikebmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handdy.com View Post
Agreed. Payments processing industry is a highly competitive industry with very low margins, so unless you have good volume it might be difficult to make a profit.
Thank you for your input! I appreciate!

mikebmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:14 PM   #6
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

I think you and your retail friends have to go deeper with your business plan before you venture this Payment processing industry. Just like the commentators here, it's a highly competitive industry. I suggest you must have a backup plan just in case when something doesn't go as planned.

Try to make up worst-case scenarios so that you know how to deal with threats if they arise.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Handdy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebmt View Post
Thank you for your input! I appreciate!
You are welcome