Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:13 PM   #1
csepulvda85
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default Jump Into The Pond, Or Go Into The Sea?

Ok so i have a online business that's going ok, but i plan to open a storefront.
I been searching for the right store for about 6 months now but they are just so expensive!
I really don't want to get into a high paying high traffic store for my first time because im nervous that i may be ahead of myself. I have been looking for a small storefront and finally found one!
BUT the foot traffic is nothing...
The rent is very cheap and they include utilities. Its right around the block from where i live and the owner is willing to do a short term lease since it is my first time....

My question is .. Can a store in a "no traffic" area make it? or am i setting my self up for failure?

There is no way i can be in a high traffic area with out spending a lot for rent.. And for my first time renting a store.. I don't want to get into that financial burden without having the experience that i feel the Small store can give me....

My Business is a fashion and jewelry boutique ... Next to that store is a bar, liquor store, restaurant/ deli/ corner store/ cleaners and day care...

can i make it? what advice can you give me?

csepulvda85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,046
Default

Welcome aboard

How are you going to get people to your storefront?

__________________
Search Engine Guide - Small Business Guide to Search Marketing
Small Business Brief - Small Business Ideas Forum, Articles & News
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:33 PM   #3
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csepulvda85 View Post
Ok so i have a online business that's going ok, but i plan to open a storefront.
I been searching for the right store for about 6 months now but they are just so expensive!
I really don't want to get into a high paying high traffic store for my first time because im nervous that i may be ahead of myself. I have been looking for a small storefront and finally found one!
BUT the foot traffic is nothing...
The rent is very cheap and they include utilities. Its right around the block from where i live and the owner is willing to do a short term lease since it is my first time....

My question is .. Can a store in a "no traffic" area make it? or am i setting my self up for failure?

There is no way i can be in a high traffic area with out spending a lot for rent.. And for my first time renting a store.. I don't want to get into that financial burden without having the experience that i feel the Small store can give me....

My Business is a fashion and jewelry boutique ... Next to that store is a bar, liquor store, restaurant/ deli/ corner store/ cleaners and day care...

can i make it? what advice can you give me?
Will you be able to find an affordable storefront?

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
csepulvda85
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Welcome aboard

How are you going to get people to your storefront?
I plan on doing advertisement .. also using social media and Yelp .. do you have any suggestions ?

csepulvda85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
csepulvda85
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
Will you be able to find an affordable storefront?
Yes .. I actually found a great price and perfect space to rent.. Its walking distance from my house and owner seems nice... Only problem is there is NO foot traffic AT ALL .. Its hidden in a street next to a main street.. There are other business around me on the block.. I am not the only one.... but thats where this question comes in.. Im wondering if its possible to make it with a store that has no foot traffic...

csepulvda85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csepulvda85 View Post
I plan on doing advertisement .. also using social media and Yelp .. do you have any suggestions ?
First I would consider (1) how much will the advertising you are doing cost? Is it equal to or more than the difference of a prime location? (2) Is there a way to test if the advertising will work prior to committing to the lease? You mentioned you are already doing this online. Can you run some of the advertisements you are considering to see if they are effective bringing in business without your storefront but to your online business.

There are so many ways to market your business, I would spend a lot of time realistically looking at how that part of your business planning is going to work. Just because you advertise doesn't mean it will convert into customers.

__________________
Search Engine Guide - Small Business Guide to Search Marketing
Small Business Brief - Small Business Ideas Forum, Articles & News
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

Would it be possible to run the storefront out of your home for a while?

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
jgbreeden
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 77

Default

My first reaction is no, a fashion/jewelry shop cannot survive without high traffic.

However, if the online business is doing enough to justify paying for a space just so you can stock inventory and deal with business, it could be feasible.

Also consider the hours you would be open vs. how much time you would man the store yourself. Even a part time employee will cost more than the rent.

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Article - Picking The Size Of Your Pond thejenn General Search Engine Marketing Information 7 11th May 2011 02:59 PM
12 Practical Tips To Jump Start Your Small Business In 2011 ychange General Small Business Issues 1 12th January 2011 02:57 AM
Can't Make The Jump rg2007 What Type of Business Should I Start? 12 6th November 2007 10:12 AM
Jump In, Jump Out, Introduce...Myself Matt McGee New Member Introductions 1 18th July 2006 03:53 PM



Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for General Small Business Issues RSS for this Category Only: General Small Business Issues

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy