Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Robinson908

Default Carnival Game Trailer

Hey all.

I need an outside opinion

Here's a what would you do question:

Background:

I have a small game trailer that I take to street fairs, and festivals on the weekends. It had only one attraction inside the trailer and it does well. I added a 2nd small game in trailer hitch area that doesn't compete with the main game.

My 2nd game is geared towards a different age group and I call it my $65 dollar Duck Pond. Small plastic swimming pool set atop a base of hay bales. It does about 30% of the sales, and I know it can do better. I will admit I'm torn over whether this 2nd game is crappy looking. I say charming, but others may say redneckish.

I came up with two ideas to increase sales:

1. There is a professional duck pond unit that costs almost $700. (Carnie worker with teeth are extra).

Pros
- I wouldn't make fun of my $65 duck pond
- Sets up in 50% less time
- Stands taller and maybe more visible

Cons
- Dare I say its lacking serious character?
- $700 at the start of the season adds to the big deficit.

2. The other Idea I had was to buy better prizes and keep the $65 duck pond.
Current prizes costs 20%, I could move it up to 35% for a name brand product.

Pros
- Kids identify with name brand and beg mommy & daddy for it
- Quality prize for less than quality game?

Cons
- Cost is too high
- Two types of kids - one that need the name brand and other that like the cheaper but more unique prizes. Adults like the unique prizes too and buy them outright. (I've sold more inflatable monkeys to adult women that I'd like to admit)

The answer may be clearly written out, but I need some help.

So do I drop $700 on this less than charming, cookie cutter duck pond and keep going with the womanizing monkeys; or do I keep hay bale scrappy pond but get more respectable and trendy monkeys?

Robinson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th February 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
jgbreeden

I'd guess it's all about the visual impact from 30 feet away, or however far the typical customer walks by. What will catch their eye and get them to walk up, the monkeys or the game?

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:27 PM   #3
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson908 View Post
Hey all.

Background:

I have a small game trailer that I take to street fairs, and festivals on the weekends. It had only one attraction inside the trailer and it does well. I added a 2nd small game in trailer hitch area that doesn't compete with the main game.

My 2nd game is geared towards a different age group and I call it my $65 dollar Duck Pond. Small plastic swimming pool set atop a base of hay bales. It does about 30% of the sales, and I know it can do better. I will admit I'm torn over whether this 2nd game is crappy looking. I say charming, but others may say redneckish.

1. There is a professional duck pond unit that costs almost $700. (Carnie worker with teeth are extra).

Pros

Cons
- $700 at the start of the season adds to the big deficit.

2. The other Idea I had was to buy better prizes and keep the $65 duck pond.
Current prizes costs 20%, I could move it up to 35% for a name brand product.

Pros
- Kids identify with name brand and beg mommy & daddy for it
- Quality prize for less than quality game?

Cons
- Cost is too high
- Two types of kids - one that need the name brand and other that like the cheaper but more unique prizes. Adults like the unique prizes too and buy them outright. (I've sold more inflatable monkeys to adult women that I'd like to admit)

The answer may be clearly written out, but I need some help.

So do I drop $700 on this less than charming, cookie cutter duck pond and keep going with the womanizing monkeys; or do I keep hay bale scrappy pond but get more respectable and trendy monkeys?

It depends on your target audience. If you are taking your duck pond to upper class neighborhoods, then you might need to invest in a better pond.

My suggestion is to start by purchasing some better prizes. Also keep the two prizes. Determine which types of prizes do better in which neighboorhoods.

And if you are going to a street fair for both Saturday and Sunday, you might try cheap prizes one day and more expensive ones the next. Keep a record book and you will eventually figure out which street fairs attract people that like unique prizes and which types of fairs have people who want name brand prizes.

Also evaluate whether you are in more affluent areas where people would like the better pond. You might also talk to people at the fair and see what they think. Pass out surveys and find out why people choose to play your game. Pass them out to people who don't play your game as well.

Old 2nd April 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
mikebmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson908 View Post
Hey all.

Background:

Pros

Cons
- $700 at the start of the season adds to

Straight answer: Invest 700 and get good pond plus get name brand toys as well! It looks odd to invest such a big amount up front but rewards are great! Trust me! ROI is pretty quick! I guess sales will increase from 30% to 60% if you improve quality!

mikebmt is offline   Reply With Quote