Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2006, 07:10 PM   #21
Gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bno1manager
I have done some research on this subject. I utilized a company called Accurate Domaines to appraise the value on a domaine name. I thought their services were very cool! I learned that 8 characters or less is premium. I had no idea this was the case. Accurate Domaines services come highly recommended by me. They were fast, efficient and reasonably priced.
Here is a sample of their work.

Each category is given a rating of 1-10 with 10 being the best.

Commercial use – 6/10

Brand recognition – 6/10

Length of domain – 5/10

Dot value – 10/10

Minimum Value – $3,900

Maximum Value – $5,000

Below is an explanation of our 4 categories.

Commercial Use – What kind of industry can this name be used for? Can this name be built into a commercial web site?
Brand Recognition – Is the name easily recognizable? How easy will it be to build brand recognition for this name?
Name Length – How long is the name? In nearly every case, a shorter domain name is preferable.
Dot Value - What is the ending segment of the name? Does it end in .com, .net, .cc, or a different ending?
Minimum Value is the lowest price the domain should sell for.

Maximum Value is the highest price the domain should sale for.

*Domains may very easily sell for higher than the Maximum Value if two people or companies both want to purchase the domain.

Unfortunately (without effort to deflate your enthusiasm over what they have supplied to you there and given you hope about), they have used an $8.95 piece of software to generate that "appraisal report" for you. It is an automated software product, that generates those exact fields that they have copy and pasted to you. Please under NO circumstances, base any credibility on the quotes given to you their for the value of your domain. For a true analysis of a domains worth, it takes more than just utilising an automated software product that can be purchased off the net for $8.95 (with resell rights *cough and splutter and choke*). True analysis of a domain/websites worth comes from so many other factors, such as analysing traffic statistics on a short term basis and also a long term basis to pick up seasonal trends, age of domain, and so on.

Once again this is not meant to deflate you under any circumstances, this is meant to warn you against utilising what you think you have their as a markatable report that can possibly be presented to potential buyers or investors as it is not a correct appraisal, and could actually damage your credibility in a sale/lease/joint venture situation if it is presented to the buyers and they recognise the "öff the shelf" appraisal software generated certificate.

Regards

Gav

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th April 2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Maverick says...

Amazing. The three experiences I've had with Go Daddy were ALL horrible. I've noticed the posts here praising Go Daddy didn't mention if they also used their hosting. I admit, I only used their domain filing service, because it was 3 times cheaper than my hosting company charged at the time.

Every time it took weeks, multiple phone calls, and a lot of frustration to get Go Daddy to follow through with their end of the transfer to my server. A VERY simple process, but in each case, they parked my domain on their server, told me they did their part to point to my server, and in EVERY case they were wrong.

I just went through this with a University domain name I transferred. I didn't file with GO Daddy on this one, my client did, I just assisted in the transfer to my server. I'm not a hosting service, but maintain a server for my personal (large) clients, not soliciting new domain business.

I noticed aussieguruu's Post above also referenced this transfer as a problem. My personal assumption, based on my experience and the many positive Go Daddy posts; they might be good if you plan to use their hosting service, but "Caveat Emptor" - Let the Buyer Beware) if you plan to transfer to another server. Personally, I have very little respect for a company that uses these ploys, and only provides quality service if you play their game, using low cost domain filings as a "Loss Leader" to get "Greater Share of Customer" business, then penealize you if you only buy their loss leader service or product.

Over the years, I've witnessed MANY companies with this attitude. In their defense, they DO HAVE many satisfied customers and there is much to be said for that record too. The bottom line, no companies perfect, and you will have to consider if they are your best option under your circumstance.

Regards,
Maverick

Last edited by Maverick; 7th April 2006 at 05:11 PM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Jim2Macs

Unfortunately Maverick is correct! There's several places out there that just won't, or at least make it very hard to release a domain for transfer to another host. It's wrong, but like I said earlier, it happens. Just because you find a place with the cheapest domain names, doesn't mean it won't cost you more in the long run.

Jim2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 07:16 AM   #24
maverick123

Moniker.com and Sedo.com , both ROCKS.......

excellent service............

maverick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 11:02 PM   #25
nikki

Well the best domain reseller availble in the market are godaddy, name, namecheap.com . All this are the best in the market . They have a good reputation in the market.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:04 AM   #26
AndrewJ

I prefer Namecheap or Name.com

Andrew

AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 03:37 PM   #27
AnthonyS11

I have always used GoDaddy...but I may expand my horizons when I have my next purchase.

AnthonyS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 06:35 AM   #28
bennetm3

I have also had poor experiences of GoDaddy, and now use domainmonster.com. Never had any problems and I am very pleased with the service.

bennetm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:18 PM   #29
victoriauww

Default Domain Name Seller

I highly recommend yourdomainpick

I've used it for a while and its great.

victoriauww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 07:41 AM   #30
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick123 View Post
Moniker.com and Sedo.com , both ROCKS.......

excellent service............
I'll throw in another vote for moniker.com. We use them.