Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th December 2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Drama

Default Is It Ok To Get Website Started Before New Business Registered?

I am starting a website were people pay me via paypal for a link to web pages that have products they are looking for. Its a little more involved then that, but I dont want to give away my idea.

Can I put up the site and keep track of my transactions to report to the IRS while Im waiting for my business to be properly registered?

Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Limozine

What do you mean by "properly registered"? If you are referring to the domain name, that has nothing to do with the IRS or taxes. So yes, you can jump right in.

Old 27th December 2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limozine View Post
What do you mean by "properly registered"? If you are referring to the domain name, that has nothing to do with the IRS or taxes. So yes, you can jump right in.
No, I mean properly registered in New Jersey department of treasury, division of revenue. It takes time.

I just want to put up the site already

Do you still think this would be ok?

Old 27th December 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

The problem is not income taxes, but sales taxes.

You should be registered to collect and remit sales taxes before opening for business, either online or off.

Legally, if you collect sales taxes without being registered, you are stealing. And if you sell without sales tax then you are personally responsible for them.

Most states you can now register online for a sales tax account in just a matter of minutes. Not a big deal and you can be legal the same day.

Here's a link to a site with more info and a link to the NJ sales tax site -
Small Business FAQs

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The problem is not income taxes, but sales taxes.

You should be registered to collect and remit sales taxes before opening for business, either online or off.

Legally, if you collect sales taxes without being registered, you are stealing. And if you sell without sales tax then you are personally responsible for them.

Most states you can now register online for a sales tax account in just a matter of minutes. Not a big deal and you can be legal the same day.

Here's a link to a site with more info and a link to the NJ sales tax site -
Small Business FAQs

Thanks, thats great news..

Old 31st December 2007, 01:07 AM   #6
Red Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
I am starting a website were people pay me via paypal for a link to web pages that have products they are looking for. Its a little more involved then that, but I dont want to give away my idea.
I hope it's a lot more involved than that! I find it difficult to imagine that working among the mirriad of FREE search engines, directories and comparison sites, but good luck with it and I'll be very interested to see your site when it goes live. (Feel free to PM me if you want an independent test!)

Red Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Xanifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post

Can I put up the site and keep track of my transactions to report to the IRS while Im waiting for my business to be properly registered?
I believe someone already did this... and it's free.. I believe it's called www.chacha.com They give you a live person to do the searching for you. I used to work as a guide.

Xanifur is offline   Reply With Quote