Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2013, 09:37 PM   #1
ashleypryce

Question Most Effective Link Building Techniques?

What do you think are the most useful and effective strategies when it comes to link building or link development? Can you share a list of them and share your experiences too? Thanks!

ashleypryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:50 PM   #2
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

I think it's content and article marketing, social bookmarking and social networking. There could be new ways to do it (i.e., guest posting). But these things have done a good job, though not as potent as they used to be.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 11:36 PM   #3
mmorpgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypryce View Post
What do you think are the most useful and effective strategies when it comes to link building or link development? Can you share a list of them and share your experiences too? Thanks!
Link building for what? Traffic or long term ranking? Ideally both in my opinion, but there are different ways to do this, depending on the outcome you want.

If you have the time to create a strong branded website that is considered authoritative, that could take 1-2 years to build. You will need to write insightful, unique content, that is relevant to whatever niche, and is so useful that your readers will do your linking for you.

That is ideal. Your website is so good, that people do your SEO linking / social linking for you - because your website has value. Let that sink in.

The other way would be building links on forums like this and other locations that will "stick" for hopefully a lifetime. That is white hat link building. Where you are building backlinks on URLs that are relevant, and have a relevant link to your website that adds value to a discussion.

Then there is blackhat - building links any way you can. The links may disappear in less than 24 hours, and could be seen as a penalty. This is a way to get high rankings fast, but they are not stable rankings unless you continue black hat activity until google catches ya. If they do, I'm skeptical on google's actual spam fighting abilities many times.

mmorpgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
ashleypryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthervision23 View Post
I think it's content and article marketing, social bookmarking and social networking. There could be new ways to do it (i.e., guest posting). But these things have done a good job, though not as potent as they used to be.
I see, we just tried guest posting but we just did 2 guest posts so I'm not sure if it can already help. Maybe we need to schedule more GPs?

Old 22nd March 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
ashleypryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorpgs View Post
Link building for what? Traffic or long term ranking? Ideally both in my opinion, but there are different ways to do this, depending on the outcome you want.

If you have the time to create a strong branded website that is considered authoritative, that could take 1-2 years to build. You will need to write insightful, unique content, that is relevant to whatever niche, and is so useful that your readers will do your linking for you.

That is ideal. Your website is so good, that people do your SEO linking / social linking for you - because your website has value. Let that sink in.

The other way would be building links on forums like this and other locations that will "stick" for hopefully a lifetime. That is white hat link building. Where you are building backlinks on URLs that are relevant, and have a relevant link to your website that adds value to a discussion.

Then there is blackhat - building links any way you can. The links may disappear in less than 24 hours, and could be seen as a penalty. This is a way to get high rankings fast, but they are not stable rankings unless you continue black hat activity until google catches ya. If they do, I'm skeptical on google's actual spam fighting abilities many times.
I agree with all your suggestions. Hmmm.. I guess, I prefer the first two. Google can indeed make you fall so hard when you achieve high ranks because of black hat SEO. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 22nd March 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Lawson

Article Marketing is effective SEO technique. It includes(Article Submission, Guest Posting, Niche Blog Posting, Web 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthervision23 View Post

Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Jen 100

Quote:
we just did 2 guest posts so I'm not sure if it can already help. Maybe we need to schedule more GPs?
2 is a good start but I wouldn't expect to see any changes with just 2 posts, which probably means just 2 links. Continue to work on guest posting and spread those posts around on a number of different sites, but only to sites that are quality and relevant.

As you create a task schedule, plan to write 1 or 2 posts a week for your own blog and then 1 guest post each week as well. If you have time for more then go for it. Just be balanced in your approach.

When you write great content on your own blog share it on your social networks and spend some time to Tweet and email other bloggers to let them know about your great article. Ask them to read the article and, if they like it, ask them to link to it and share it with their readers. This won't always result in a link, or even a response but keep at it because when you do get a response it could mean just a link or it could mean building a relationship and developing another guest posting opportunity.

Old 22nd March 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
OptimizerMan

Send a message via Skype™ to OptimizerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypryce View Post
A lot of the replies I read here seem to be either (1) outdated or (2) ineffective.

A lot of this is because Google has made everything so screwy.

Some of the more advanced SEO people -- let's say those with 10+ years experience -- seem to be leaning towards tiered link building of two and three layers.

Others are engaging in private link networks.

These new backlinking techniques are in response to all the Google Penguin and Panda crap that hit webmasters and SEO people the last year and some.

Whatever linking you do, it pays to be secretive, and Google is NOT your best friend.

OptimizerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
accurate.cygnet

Blogging is the best online marketing weapon today. It generates many quality back links. Apart from it, Social Media is a great platform to place your links and advertise your business.

accurate.cygnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 02:19 AM   #10
bitFAT

Blogging and its promotion over social media websites should be a best techniques of link building in now a days.If your blog has quality and useful content and you get success to reach it to right people through social media then people can republish or further share your content.In this way, you can get more target and relevant link for your main website.