Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2008, 01:10 AM   #1
RideSearch

Default Migrate To AutoResponder

So my site has gotten huge and now my old way of using my smtp client to send out my newsletter needs to be revamped. I tried getresponse and it was a bad idea because they wanted my existing users to resign up. It was terrible when they sent them an email in my name asking them to join. I am looking for a newsletter email program or service that I can tie to my database and send newsletters using my domain name as the sender. I want to manage the confirmations and not have an email sent to them to reply to join or anything since they have already signed up at the site. The best solution would be also if there was a webservice or something that could also send admin to single user emails as well. Any recommendations? Thanks,

Brian

RideSearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th March 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
prasunsen

If you mean newsletter (not autoresponder), here is a decent cheap script:

http://calendarscripts.info/product-4.html

If you mean something else or this is not good enough, just check at Hotscripts

prasunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
calevans
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to calevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSearch View Post
I am looking for a newsletter email program or service that I can tie to my database and send newsletters using my domain name as the sender. I want to manage the confirmations and not have an email sent to them to reply to join or anything since they have already signed up at the site. The best solution would be also if there was a web service or something that could also send admin to single user emails as well. Any recommendations? Thanks,

Brian
If you really want a program you run on your own server, check out phplists.com. It's by far the best FOSS solution available.

However, there are problems with running a large mailing list off your own server.
  • Check with your host first. As a web host, I have very strict Terms of service regarding mailing lists. They have to be a double opt-in list, no slamming, etc.
  • Look into things like Realtime Black Hole Lists. (RBHL) If you get your IP in one of those it can take days or even weeks to get out of them. Some you just can't get out of.
  • Make sure you have the server and the bandwidth to handle your needs. If you run your own server then this won't be an issue because you probably already know this but if you don't mailing list programs can be very expensive in both CPU utilization and bandwidth. (It would suck to send your newsletter out and shoot you over your bandwidth allotment and shut your site down)

The other option you could look into is using a hosted service. Hosted services run from the moderately priced to the feature rich.
  • constantcontact.com
  • incontact.com
  • myemma.com

All of these services will fit you basic needs but you may want to investigate each of them before laying down cash. The most important thing is to make sure that the company you go with is reputable. If you get tied in with a spammer, it may do irreparable harm to your domain.

HTH,
=C=

p.s. my fav of these services is myemma.com. I know them and they are a good company to work with.

Last edited by calevans; 12th April 2008 at 09:02 PM.
calevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
pete
VIP Contributor

Funny timing here, I must say.

I have just made a sizable investment in an autoresponder script and had it installed. I am in the hosting business and have had clients ask about the service and I also am setting up some affiliate programs that will use an autoresponder.

What many here are talking about is what is called sending Broadcast email. This is one-time sending of things like newsletters, specials, etc. All of the AR sites and scripts include this, as well as what is actually the "sequential autoresponders" that send out a series of articles, courses, sales letters, etc. on a scheduled basis.

Like Brian, I too have several customer lists that I wanted to add at AWeber instead of GetResponse, but it was the same situation. Even though my lists are all purchasers within the last six months, they wanted to go through the verify routine.

I just didn't want to go there. I'm not spamming anyone, just communicating with members of my forum, who definitely opted in and customers who also are legitimate continuing contacts. Of course, they will have the option to leave, but only through my regular mailings, not asked beforehand by a third party.

It is true that you can do the broadcasts with phplist and other scripts. Been there, done that. But you are under the gun with your hosting provider, many of whom won't let you send a quantity of emails at all, or limit you to maybe 50 per hour. Truly a hit and miss kind of deal.

With my AR on it's own cpanel account, on my own server, I can make my own rules. There is no restriction on the number of emails. And within the AR script I can set a "burst rate" to where they go out in small bursts, rather than 10,000 instantly.

The reasons for this are twofold. First, there is no sense tying up the server just sending emails and second, many of the ISP's and email services judge an item to be spam if too many from the same sender hit their mailservers at the same time. So, sending out a thousand at a time, with 100 of them Yahoo addresses would cause Yahoo to cut them off at the pass.

By bursting them in small groups, even just seconds apart, they do not get read the same way by the incoming mail servers and will have a much better deliver-ability rate.

So, even though there are some "under $100" AR scripts available that anyone can install on their cpanel hosting account, the server owners often will stifle any potential use of the script. They are concerned about slowing down their servers and becoming a "spammer haven".

I can understand Brian's frustration. Part of the reason I bought the script I did was so I can offer an AR service to folks like Brian, at a price half of the "big boys". And I can also offer a one-time broadcast service or a low priced monthly broadcast service to others.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote