Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd June 2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Designsmith

Default One Month Away - And Google Has Already Punished Me.

Hi.
I do a variety of different things to earn my money online. (my long term goal is to build up 15 affiliate sites that all get more than 5000 monthly visitors)

Recently I was given a month contract to work on a clients website.

This resulted in me doing no new posts or pages to my websites for a full month.

All I had time for was checking emails, sending products that has been sold, having appointments with new clients.

BUT NO NEW PAGES OR POSTS.

Now I use semrush to check on the performance of my sites every now and again - and checked last week after I returned to my daily IM business.

So here is the bad news that I saw after a month of neglect to my sites.

A website that had about 30 keywords in the serps - most of them in the top 10 and a few in the top 20, they had all dropped at least one spot, and in some cases as many as 30% of my keywords had dropped off the serps completely.

So - This proves to me that Google's new algorithm does keep an eye on the websites activity levels - and if your page or site does not have a strong amount of back-links - it will start to fall in the serps within a month of no activity.

Now I cannot verify this bit of research as 100% true to all my sites (some do not show up on semrush) - but either way - I am off to start to add pages, and back-links to make the site stronger and more resilient to this happening in the future.

Rob

Designsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:51 PM   #2
lw-daryljames

Thanks for sharing your findings. Sorry to hear about the results, but I'm not surprised to hear that Google punishes inactivity.

lw-daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 11:20 PM   #3
websonalized

That's the spirit Rob

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:25 AM   #4
n_touch

This is very true, if you have built a large amount of links and then site on it, you will see that Google believes that your site is not as relevant as it once was. That is why when you are working on link building you need to make sure that you are getting a constant amount of links on a regular basis, not just at once. That also shows the search engine that you are relevant, and that you are gaining relevance on a daily basis.

Old 13th June 2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Rojae Braga

Send a message via Skype™ to Rojae Braga

Smile

Hi Rob ,

My sympathies for what happened.

As what n_touch mentioned, there is a need to continue your link building activity on a regular basis. Google always says go for quality instead for quantity. So I'd rather create 10 back links everyday for a month than 100 links in a day. It is important to create quality back links relevant to your website. If Google finds out that you've had a lot of 'bad' backlinks, your ranking will surely be affected.

Just keep backlinking - a few social bookmarks when adding new content, keep the links diverse by having it come from blog comments,forum profiles,social bookmarks, articles, press releases, anything you can think of just do a few of each every day and I'm sure your website will stay on the best ranking.

Thanks for sharing this here!

Cheers,
Rojae Braga

Old 13th June 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Designsmith

Thanks for all the comments guys, remember that I am fully aware that it is this very issue of neglecting your regular posts, pages and back-linking that we must never do to our websites.

I just shared this so that newbies can see than even a 3 year old site still need fresh input - if the keywords are a little competitive.

It is this very thing that I teach all my clients everyday.

So many of the new clients that start their training under me, are so enthusiastic in the beginning, and remember that I have been there and back twice over my 30 months full time online, and I still cannot stress it enough to the new guys.

In the beginning they believe me. But then they start to Google "make money online" and the trouble starts...

I know where it goes wrong... I am trying to make them (teach them ha ha) to stick to a system, but because they are new online they are finding all those "shiny" products that we all have done in the past.

Then they want to try them, just like I did.

Hell I still feel tempted to try all the new stuff every day, so I understand.

And pretty soon, they are not posting, or doing those back-links etc.

It is only be getting those of us like you guys that have added to this thread - that we can hope to keep the new guys on the straight and narrow.

Ok, I am off to format a hard drive, and I hate doing that because a lot goes wrong every time...
Oh dear!

Rob

Designsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Candice Robins

Thanks for the feedback designsmith. I think that what you describe is in line what what Google describes as the new changes that were implemented with the panda update. They want to raise attention for sites that are creating a buzz, hence this phenomenon. Is it fair? Maybe no, because there is an obvious feedback loop - but it wouldn't surprise me if Google were a step ahead and already compensates for this effect.

Old 15th June 2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Lucky Adam

Yes, I am totally in agreement with you regarding the website updates to keep it up to mark and maintain the proper ranking as well.

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Melva

Thank you designsmith for your insight. Regular update to one's site is very important.