Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2004, 02:33 PM   #1
lake_ontario2000

Default submit to directories

Hi everyone,

I am a totally newbie to internet marketing. I am so glad to find this forum and learned a lot from just listening. Thank you.

I am submitting to some directories. And I don't know is this the right place to post the questions I have in mind.

When I submit to some directories, they ask me to insert certain meta tag to my page. Is it good to my site or not?

Also I find it is so time consuming just submitting. I just wonder how do you guys usually do? How many directories do you submit everyday?

Thank you

lake_ontario2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd July 2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Hi Yang! We are glad you're here.

Do you know what types of meta tags they are suggesting you add to your pages? For example, meta description, meta keyword, etc.

Old 22nd July 2004, 03:50 PM   #3
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Do you mean a special meta tag that they have you cut and paste in your own code? I've seen a lot of them before. I don't think they're evil, but I do avoid them just to be safe.

I've seen directories that will automatically pull up your meta description and keyword tags when you enter your URL as well.

Yep, submitting to directories is time consuming. I don't submit to a certain amount everyday. It's really good for link building purposes, and depending on how competitive your industry is, the more you'd probably want to find. Hope this helps.

Paul

Localmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 06:46 AM   #4
WiteKnite

Default Posting is a lot of work

Couldn't agree with you more... posting is a lot of work... I thought I'd "get rich quick with little or no work" and it turns out that's not true!

When I started, I used to set a goal of X directories per day... I started with 10 and never actually made that... then I went to 5, and sometimes didn't make that... Depending on the directories you encounter, it can be VERY time consuming.

The best approach I've found is to dedicate a certain amount of time per week and post for that time. To make that time more productive, I've created a procedure. I have a list of activities I do and a list of places to post all written down, separated by target market, etc.

Many entrepreneurs don't do that because they don't like the routine, but it's routine work and it has to be done. By doing it this way, I can achieve effective results in a minimum amount of time. Even when you can't automate a task, developing a system, procedure, routine, whatever you want to call it... will make you much more productive.

WiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Old Welsh Guy

Hi Yang, welcome

You are right, it is very time consuming. The trick is to automate as much as possible. Do yourself a favour and open up notepad, and create yourself a 'directory submission page'

Write out the perfect

Title
Description
Keyword set

together with the full url incl http://

Next go to your researched list of directories and copy it below the above information.

You are now set to copy & paste your way through more directories than you know.

All you now need to do is copy the url of the first directory into the browser, go to it, go to the submission page, then copy & paste the prewritten data from the notepad page.

Submit, delete the directory from the list, move on to the next. This is what I do, and It means never having to worry about which directories you have submitted to as if it aint on the list, then it has been done. Just save that notepad text file (don't use word as it will add hidden tags that might stop the htmp from being read properly) .

Next time you are ready to submit, open up the file, and you start exactly where you left off. If you come across a new directory, then just add it to the foot of the submission list.

Hope this helps

OWG

Old 23rd July 2004, 09:29 AM   #6
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I do something similar to OWG. I view source of clients home page and edit it to include the following:

========================

My name

A throw-a-way email address

Company Name

Title Tag (only use complete title tag in some directories, most often you will use company name only)

Description

Keywords (from keyword meta tag)

Short list of keywords (space separated, no repeats)

Directory friendly description (more third person, 'site contains' as opposed to first person, ' we offer')

JoeAnt description (they do not like you copying meta description tags and want an un-biased third person review of what the site contains)

Illumirate Opinion

Company address and phone number.

========================

I then save this on desktop and am ready to copy and paste. A lot of time can be consumed just searching for the right categories.

I also wrote a pretty concise article on directory submissions. It is in two parts - Proper Directory Submissions - Part I and Proper Directory Submissions - Part II .

Old 23rd July 2004, 10:24 AM   #7
lake_ontario2000

Default Thank you.

Thank you everyone. You really help me to organize the submission. And David, I am reading your article now. Thank you.

Yang

lake_ontario2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 02:37 PM   #8
NatashaVexcom

Talking Which directories?

I'm glad that someone asked this question. I was ontoday and came across a list of directories. I have a few questions about directories as well.
  1. How can you tell which directories are legit and not just ways to get your email address. (I visited the links on that website and only 3-4 I know to be legimtimate)
  1. Does it hurt you at all to submit to directories that are not legit?

Thanks in advance for the help guys ands dolls,
Natasha

[edit - removed live signature, you can add a signture in your control panel - DW]

NatashaVexcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:21 PM   #9
Robert
Administrator

Hi Natasha, welcome to the forum!

Quote:
[*]How can you tell which directories are legit and not just ways to get your email address.)
You can't always tell because new directories are sprining up all the time - some intend to be legit, some not. One easy way to handle the email issue is to use a "throw-away" email address and use that for all of your submissions. You could get an email account with one of the free providers for this.

Quote:
[*]Does it hurt you at all to submit to directories that are not legit?
I wouldn't think so, but I'd like to have others respond to this as well in case anyone has run into some funky situations.

Old 23rd July 2004, 04:00 PM   #10
Old Welsh Guy

IMO there is no such thing as a bad incoming link. There are such things as incoming links that do absolutely no good, but even they are not bad. Regarding emails, I normally use the name of the site as the email address. If I am registering at dodgydirectory.co.uk, then I set the email as [email protected].

The beauty about doing it this way, is that the catch all picks up the address to it, and, as soon as the spam starts coming, you know exactly what scumbag sent it to you as they are using a unique mail addy.