Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th December 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
bradleyb

Default Envelope, Postcard Or Flat For Advertising?

This is just a general question that I hope just to get some others opinions on this.

We started by using postcards and then started mailing envelopes and not we're going to start mailing flats to see how they do.

We received the best response from postcards which were either the pretty standard 4'x6" size and later we mailed over-sized 5.5"x8".

The new mail-piece is considered a "flat" because of it's over sized at 8.5"x11" which is a standard piece of paper. We're using heavy stock (I think 80lb cover) so it's really like a jumbo sized postcard.

The size should make it standout against other mail pieces received that day and since it's a single piece - there's no folding or stuffing involved - which makes it easier for us to mail.

But besides before elections - I don't see many companies using flats for direct mail advertising and I don't know why.

They are slightly more expensive since the paper has to be heavy and the postage is slightly higher but nothing that's prohibitive.

Does anyone have any negatives to using flats for direct mail advertising? Of course it also depends on the message and the design but as a mail piece - I'm pretty excited about flats really.

bradleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
JohnFenton

The negative is mostly the extra postage. Other than that, they work well.

JohnFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 03:46 PM   #3
danielkanuck

Yeah i agree with John. Consider to use postcards because they can produce a good ROI.

Old 12th May 2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Tri-Win

Postage cost is a negative as it the condition of the card as it travels through the mail. Flats are more susceptible to damage in processing and delivery. I suggest a 5.5 x 8.5 postcard.

Old 12th May 2011, 02:56 PM   #5
danielkanuck

Another thing about postcards is that you don't have to worry about getting your letter opened.

It's already open, so this is one less barrier you have to face when your prospects receive your piece in the mail. You postcard will more than likely be read instead of thrown in the trash immediately.

Old 13th May 2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Tri-Win

good point daniel, when there is nothing between the reader and the offer, like an envelope the amount of people that read your offer will certainly go up

Old 13th May 2011, 10:48 AM   #7
SanWay
VIP Contributor

I agree that postcards are a better desision, so as you show everyone that you have nothing to hide

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 02:14 PM   #8
dowson12345
VIP Contributor

I am for postcards as well. More or less cheap and they are effective if you make them eye-catching.

Old 19th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #9
danielkanuck

I've received postcards from business's where the postcard was fully colored, and another one where it was black and white.

I don't know the costs of the colored ones, but i'm willing to bet that it was worth it to try.

The colored one got my attention and it also seemed personal too.

Needless to say... i responded to the colored ones.

I knew the business owner fairly well and felt that it was personal because he took the time to put my name on the card (in red), and highlighted other areas on the cards with different colors.

If you can customize your postcard where you include your prospect's/customer's name on the card, i think you'll get a really good response from it.

Old 20th May 2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Tri-Win

The full color variable data cards are really effective for grabbing attention and personalizing a message. As for the cost we print 5000 8.5 x 5.5 full color cards with variable data on both sides for $0.21 per card plus a 75.00 set up fee. Cost reduce if you don't use variable data on both sides or color on both sides.