Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
TrezaBrown

Default Stand Out At Trade Show

Hello, looking for ideas so that we stand out at our next Trade Show. President is thinking that we could display something higher to be noticed. We are located at the end of an aisle so that people will dead end into our booth. This is an In-flight Entertainment event major airline companies will attend. We are a product development company so we develop the in-flight systems.
Thank you,
T

TrezaBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th March 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Jim Ewan

Wink Raise your profile - literally!

Get yourself one of those radio-controlled miniature airships; paint "Call here for a big (or 'pleasant' or ?) surprise!"

Fly it in circles over your booth - then make sure you deliver when the visitors call!

Of course, this will attract loads of people you are not interested in, so also make sure your qualifiers (or 'rejectionists' as I think of them) are really capable.

Hope that helps

Jim

Jim Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
TrezaBrown

Jim, brilliant, thank you...

Old 17th April 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
trade-show-diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ewan View Post
Get yourself one of those radio-controlled miniature airships; paint "Call here for a big (or 'pleasant' or ?) surprise!"

Fly it in circles over your booth - then make sure you deliver when the visitors call!

Of course, this will attract loads of people you are not interested in, so also make sure your qualifiers (or 'rejectionists' as I think of them) are really capable.

Hope that helps

Jim
I think Jim has a great idea, but I don't the trade show would allow it. Think of the liability if your remote control plane crashed into someone! And what if several other booths started flying their own planes... chaos!
Still, this idea is a good example of being creative and thinking outside the box.
Maybe what you can do is hang a stationary plane above your booth with motorized propellers turning and blinking lights?
But keep in mind that most shows require an additional permit for anything above your booth space (like hanging signs).
Please post again if you come up with a great idea and use it, and let us know how it worked.
Good luck!

trade-show-diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
bizmaverick

You can get more leads by enhancing your exhibit design. Yes you can try building up a bigger booth. Try to utilize more exciting colors and lightings. Use images and graphics that could directly appeal to the audience. Make your architecture more inviting and interesting. Design your exhibit to daringly display why attendees will benefit from working with you. You can add some benefit statements and taglines on your exhibit graphics and use a theme that draws people’s attention which could memorably link to your offerings.

You can also launch something new at the expo. Add more motion and ilife. Play some presentations or videos on large monitors. Hold a raffle, a game or a contest to further enhance interactivity. And if you can, sponsor something that gives out a really, really big price. (This effectively draws crowd attention.)

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
TrezaBrown

Thank you for all the suggestions. No, I will not be able to fly anything in the show, but I still like the idea. Bizmaverick, I'll probably do something like your suggestions.

I'll post after the show and let everyone know what I did and how successful. Show is in September...

Old 29th April 2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Jake McIntyre

Default Design is Key

Gimmicks can be fun, but the key is a successful design of your display graphics. Paying for good design is cheaper than buying a bigger booth (which will still need good design to be effective). I recommend finding a graphic designer that has experience designing large-format graphics or exhibits and presenting them with a clear description of what your company does, who your target audience is, a call to action and maybe a clever tagline. Keep your text to a minimum and be open to what the designer tells you.

Jake McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 06:15 AM   #8
mktgbiz

As we're tossing out thoughts and ideas....I recall all of the trade shows I've atteneded and don't ever remember "looking up" or any really "cool booth" that left me speechless.

A "Register to Win" is always a way to get people to stop at the booth!

Free food is always a way to get people to at least slow down.

Free imprinted item (javelin pen, highlighter, plane shaped stress ball, etc) positioned towards the back of your booth, so folks have to walk in to grab your promo item is always a good way to start a conversation.

Something to relieve the pain of walking through a trade show for hours might be helpful. Maybe offer free massages (hire an expert) to sit in front of your booth, or inside, to give people relief and explain your company also offers relief by relieiving the stress of blah, blah, blah....

Keep us posted!

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:02 AM   #9
ReganP

Not sure if the event has passed by now but are there any really cool demonstrations you could do or something funny like a short skit every 15 min or something?

I agree with the idea of giving awaypromotional products. An interesting idea for that is custom usb drives. DISCLAIMER: I work for the company I just linked to.

But, people use them a lot at tradeshows since they're reusable and people will remember your brand down the road when they put files on them. Also you can offer some sort of content on them like a preview of your services or just info. People will watch/read it if it isn't terribly long.

If you are interested you can visit that link or PM me!

Old 28th March 2013, 12:56 PM   #10
TrezaBrown

I bought helium airplanes and flew them over the booth. People wanted to know where I got them and if they could have them after the show. The show was a success probably not because of the balloons, but I had our booth placed not next to anyone, all by itself and we got tons of traffic.

Visitors would say you guys are way over here so I thought I 'd check you out.