Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Natasha2005

Default Another Question.........or three

Would you say, the idea of a blog or web site set up this way, is to have as many resources in one place as you can so people can do all their shopping in one spot?
I have a good idea for this, probably quite a few out there already (I need to do my homework on that). My husband keeps telling me to add all sort of stuff, but I say no, it needs to appeal to one group of people and not be too overwhelming.
Am I on the right track?

OK, so I have a store or two I would like to sign up with as an affiliate.
I have their link, which needs to go on my blog/website.
I dont know anything, zippo, zilch about code.
How to I figure out how to put the link in? Will most blog programs tell you where to paste the information? Are you usually pasting in pictures or links?
This is the kind of stuff us non-techie folks need to know to know if we can even do the thing.
Last question, do you ever get turned down when you sign up to be an affiliate? Do they check your web site/blog out first or not usually?
thanks for any info.

I kind of wanted it to be a fun thing, not a confusing or really frustrating thing. I get enough of that with my own businesses.....

Last edited by Natasha2005; 4th April 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Add another question
Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Natasha! Lots of questions there

For starters, if you are struggling you may want to expand the number or types of products you are promoting. Some times that plays a huge role, and experimenting with other market areas may provide additional ways to generate revenue. At the same time, yes you do want to keep in mind the audience. I wouldn't suggest taking a wal-mart approach, but an audience can be much broader that one specific niche. For example, with carpet care I don't think it would be inappropriate to also target hardwood floors or other things.

When you select an affiliate product/service they will provide you the code for the link. You copy that, and then paste it into your blog where you would like it displayed. This may be within a post discussing this, or on your sidebar area where you insert links to other sites. Just copy the code they give you, and paste it into your blog program. Experiment with different things like text vs images to see which works best. Also, many times (i.e. cj) the affiliate system will give you stats on an affiliate's ads performance.

Turned down? Typically, no. Some/many may have no checks in place, others might have some such as checking the site. They only pay based on sale, so their concern isn't so much with what you do until you provide a sale transaction.

Old 7th April 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Natasha2005

Default Thank You!

Thank you Logan. You made it really concise and easy to understand.
The whole idea is, I want to have fun with it.
If it doesnt work, nothing much lost and if it does, all the better.
thanks again, you answered exactly what I wanted to know!!!!!!!!!!

Old 7th April 2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Natasha2005

Question Logan, One More Question......

In another thread you suggested making sure you can put commercial things on the blog you set up.
You said Blogger wasnt the best choice.
Just curious why not? Do they allow commercial links?
And if that choice is not as good, what blog program is good and easy for us non-tech people???????????????????????

Old 7th April 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Glad it was helpful, regarding the blog issue with commercial sites that came about from several members who started things with wordpress.com and were notified afterwards they don't allow commercial blogs. Blogger is ok, just not my favorite but probably one of the easiest. More personal preference, than a particular issue with blogger.

Old 8th April 2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Natasha2005

Thank you.
Appreciate the reply so much!

Old 9th April 2008, 03:19 PM   #7
DaveDee

You definitely want to make your blog/website focus on one target niche. The tighter the niche the better. Trying to be all things to all people is a recipe for disaster.

The big secret for making an affiliate program work is for YOU to capture the names and email addresses of prospects who come to your site before having them click on the affiliate links.

You can do this by offering a free report or something else of value to your target market in exchange for their contact information. Now you can send these people a daily, weekly, monthly e-mail newsletter and stand alone emails promoting affiliate products.

The KEY to online marketing, whether you are selling affiliate products or your own products is to build up your own list. It will be your most valuable asset

~Dave Dee

DaveDee is offline   Reply With Quote