Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2012, 05:29 AM   #1
mktgbiz

Default Twitter Results, Sales, New Customers?

So, I don't Tweet, but.......ya never know, maybe some day.

Honestly, the reason I don't, is I think most people read famous peoples Tweets...ya know, like logging in to Twitter every day to read what Clint Eastwood Tweeted. (Jeez.....I can't really associate Dirty Harry with the word TWEET can I?)

Anyhow.

How about sales from your tweets? How about NEW customers? I'm referring to new, never met of heard of, before customers/sales (not family).

Do you generate new business or is it just exposure?

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
John Tabita

Before I answer, let me disclose that I still consider myself a newbie in regards to Twitter. That said, here's may take on it.

I'm using Twitter for exposure, not to sell a product (yet). But the bottom line is, people use Twitter for the same reason they subscribe to email newsletters, read blogs or even books for that matter. It's to get information that's valuable to them.

Some people find the latest celeb gossip valuable. I find business and marketing information valuable. Others find special offers and deals valuable. The trick is, find out what your client base considers valuable and give it away. Twitter is a great channel to do so, but it's not the only channel. You also should take into account whether your client base is more the Twitter type, or the Facebook or email type. Twitter is just the means to the end, not the end itself.

If you're going to use any type of social media, I'm of the opinion that you still need another channel to drive people to follow or like you. The Old Spice commercials went viral on YouTube, but only because they spent a fortune on the television spots. But it can also be can be as simple as a sign in front of a pizza shop, or an email to all your existing customers. Just be sure to offer them a compelling reason to follow you.

Once you have followers, you have the opportunity to engage with them. When I had my web design business (in the pre-Twitter days), I sent out a quarterly printed newsletter full of business and marketing advice, just to remind my clients I was there and what I did. Sometimes that generated a lead and a sale. I think platforms like Twitter can serve the same purpose.

Hope that helps.

John Tabita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually, what it seems is that many businesses are finding Twitter evolving into a customer service channel as opposed to a sales channel.

It's ideal for that -- people can jump in, post a quick "how to" query or a customer service issue and whoever is monitoring the stream on behalf of the company can offer a quick answer and/or a link to a more extensive knowledgebase article or can engage the customer while forwarding the issue to the appropriate person within the company.

It's not all about sales. Different social media channels are suited for different purposes. And different demographics use different channels. While not every company needs to be in every channel -- maybe give it a try and see if your customers are using Twitter?

--Torka

Old 21st March 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
ChrissyBiz

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrissyBiz

I met a client in 2010 I ghostwrote a book for through twitter and a Irishmen with two companies -- yes twitter is for exposure but also sales. I am a service based business but I interact, reply and randomly mention my followers at times to get their attention. Human nature tells them to click on my page and find out about me.

Use it as a person, not a company. Inter-mingle a few real tweets like what you ate for dinner or a funny story of the day between helpful articles and niche-related posts. I also use Triberr to retweet related bloggers blogs which helps me build relationships and grows my network / potential clients.

Hope that helps.

Old 21st March 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
John Tabita

Default Free ebook on the topic

I just happened across this free ebook on this very topic. It specially addresses how to use Twitter to generate leads and sales.

http://www.hubspot.com/free-ebook-ho...s-with-twitter

Old 22nd March 2012, 06:31 PM   #6
mktgbiz

Hi Torka....thanks for the reply! I gotta pop this pimple though.....if there's ever been one statement that's truer than TURE, is from Jerry McGuire...."It's all about the money." (relating that to it's NOT all about sales). Not meaning to be abrupt.......just ever-so politely and kindly and gently (because it is all about World Peace) disagreeing.

Thanks for the link John!

I beginning to see the activity of social media-izing is kind of the way of marketing, but without any ability to track sales.....

I know we have a moderator who is an expert-o-rama on this subject....

Kinda hoping she'll chime in!

Old 22nd March 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
John Tabita

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
I beginning to see the activity of social media-izing is kind of the way of marketing, but without any ability to track sales.....
Actually, there are some tools out there that allow you to do that. Hubspot has software that works like a CRM and helps you track Twitter followers from leads to sales.

Old 29th March 2012, 01:09 PM   #8
mackyanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tabita View Post
Actually, there are some tools out there that allow you to do that. Hubspot has software that works like a CRM and helps you track Twitter followers from leads to sales.

Ohh, really? I just know some Twitter tools that can track who will un-follow you. But a tool that can track your twitter followers leads of sales, I just can't imagine how great is this. Can you please say something about it? Thanks.

mackyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 01:27 PM   #9
printnstyle

Doesn't exposure eventually lead to increase in business at some point in the future? Twitter is indeed the perfect platform to "interact" with celebrities and other famous people, but don't underestimate its value as a marketing strategy.

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 07:50 AM   #10
mktgbiz

So, this deep into the thread.......still no one can claim a new customer, or sale, generated from their tweets?

No trying to be a wise ACE, just confirming.