Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Natasha2005

Default Word Press.org????

HI All: I need to redo some blogger blogs and move them over to Word Press.org. This was suggested, in a webinar I took, as being the best place to put your business blogs.
If it truly is, I know I couldnt figure it out the first time I tried to download it, so I ended up looking at one of those places which costs $7.95 per month and says it is easy to install through their web site.
Again, need help knowing if this is the only way and the best way to have a business blog (or two).
thanks for any info.
Also, if I want to try a web site for a whole different idea I have, would Site Sell be the place to go to try that?
I dont have any advanced technical skills, or knowledge of HTML so I need an easy place to build a site. I was intrigued by their marketing program.
thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by Natasha2005; 17th May 2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: subscribe
Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th May 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Chimpie

If you're still looking for a host, try hostgator.com. Through your control panel you can install WordPress and a couple other blog formats.

I looked at the Site Sell website and I'm still not really sure what they do.

If you're looking to learn HTML (puts on flame suit) pick up a copy of Microsoft's Expression Web 2. While it's not the software of choice for webmasters it is a great tool for beginners.

Chimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Wordpress is not the only way to host a business blog, but it is a good way. The software itself is fairly intuitive to use, it's widely available and -- as you've found -- many hosts have "one click installs" that make it relatively easy even for a novice.

IMO, you do want to have blog software of some kind set up so you can use your own domain name, rather than setting it up on some blog hosting site (like Wordpress.com or Blogger). You just have more control when it's your own domain.

As to Sitesell, IMO, it can be useful if you're new to creating and marketing websites. They have a whole bunch of built-in tools and a formula for you to follow, which can help "shortcut" the learning curve a bit.

You can assemble tools and information on your own to do the same thing yourself, probably cheaper in terms of out of pocket costs, but you'll likely end up investing a lot more time tracking down the appropriate resources.

As to whether SiteSell is worth it for you, or you'd be better off following the DIY route, I think it depends on whether you've got more money or more time available.

My

--Torka

Old 18th May 2009, 10:37 PM   #4
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Hi, I am not an expert on Site Sell by any means--but the issue I have heard several times with them is sites all looking very similar.

If you are not too concerned with aesthetics then it might be fine for you because I know they do have a lot of people devoted to them.

I happen to use and love Wordpress.org--lots of templates to customize your look plus a great support community and tons of functionality.

Old 14th July 2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Gabby10000

Quote:
Also, if I want to try a web site for a whole different idea I have, would Site Sell be the place to go to try that?

I dont have any advanced technical skills, or knowledge of HTML so I need an easy place to build a site. I was intrigued by their marketing program.
Hi Natasha2005

I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but I have two SBI sites and in my opinion (ahem), you would do well by trying SBI. You have the type of profile SBI caters to: no advanced technical skills, no knowledge of HTML.

If you had just one with SBI it would give you the opportunity to learn, get support and experience success. After that, you can go off on your own, etc.

The thing that SBI is very, very good for is giving you an education in building a site that works. You will learn to generate free, target traffic that eventually builds on it's own. Then you learn to monetize that traffic. You can get one up and rolling along and start on another. Again, if you don't use SBI with the other sites, you've got the knowledge under your belt.

You get the idea, I hope.

The point is, once you gain that knowledge you can do whatever you want with it and you can evaluate for yourself what's best for you, what to do and what not to do, etc.

I hope this helps!

Gabby10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Natasha2005

Default Thanks for the reply.....

I'm still here!
Well, I did manage to use a Page Builder wizard and make a new page for my business web site. I also took both sites out of the hands of a web designer, and made them so I can work on them myself. I did a few really complex things, and successfully, so that was cool.
I have not yet moved my business blogs off blogger.
I dont seem to get much traffic from that, so am considering having a blog hosted, and setting up Word Press.org for it.
I also toyed around with a blog of my own doing on blogger, again not much traffic and it needs to be prettier.
I'm signed up with Commission Junction and some other affiliates and with Ad Sense.
Truthfully, I havent had the time to work on things yet, or keep up with them all that well, as I got tied down with other business paperwork.
Thanks for the ideas though, and will check it out.

Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:38 AM   #7
terry3111

Default need free host

The free hosting for wordpress is necessary to me.
wordpress.com Does not resolve baners

terry3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 02:43 AM   #8
businessman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry3111 View Post
The free hosting for wordpress is necessary to me.
wordpress.com Does not resolve baners
Get your own host. The self install of WP is much more powerful than the hosted version.

businessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:06 PM   #9
annalaurabrown

I have a video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6M6tWDT2w that you can watch and learn how to setup your own hosted wordpress blog.

annalaurabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 08:19 AM   #10
xsuni101

Self hosting blogs are not difficult to start. By one hosting package at HostGator and you can easily install blog within 10 minutes. Anyway most hosting service support wordpress blog installation.

xsuni101 is offline   Reply With Quote