Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2012, 01:47 AM   #1
jackmartin

Send a message via Skype™ to jackmartin
Exclamation How To Learn Social Media!

Hi Folks,

I know almost all the techniques about Search Engine Optimization
but i don't have sufficient knowledge about Social Media infect i am
beginner in social media can any body tell me what is social media and
its techniques and how it does or give me some help full information about it ASAP, I am waiting for it

Regards,

Jack Martin.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th March 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

In the most basic sense, social media is a means for individuals and organizations to communicate with each other online. Usually when people say "social media" they're talking about tools such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, etc.

However, in a certain sense, forums such as the one you're reading right now are also social media tools.

The easiest way to get started is simply to get started. Pick a social media platform where there's a good chance your target audience already hangs out. Get an account, follow some people and spend some time listening. When you've got a good feel for how people interact on that platform, start easing your way into the conversation.

It's a lot like being at a cocktail party. You can just go barreling up to everyone you see and start yelling at them about how great you are... but that's not likely to have such a great result for you. Same thing if you do nothing but sit quietly in the corner and never talk to anyone at the party (or, worse yet, never even enter the room to start with).

On the other hand, if you take some time to get to know a few people, are respectful of their time and the other conversations they might be engaged in, and invest the effort to come across as interesting and entertaining, you can attract a lot of positive attention.

If you search the web on things like "getting started with social media," "effective social media techniques" or "how to use social media for business" you will find literally thousands of articles with tons of good advice on how to get started.

--Torka

Old 15th March 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
sandraellis

To be effective at social media if you are starting out you should try and find one person to interact with. Retweet their posts with comments. You might also comment on their blog since it is probably in their twitter profile. They will notice you, especially if they don't have 100,000 followers.

sandraellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
alocsin

This may sound a bit obvious, but dig around in the Help files for Facebook and other social media in which you participate. They're typically full of advice as well as technical know-how.

alocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
shellyf

I learned everything I know about social media from the SBI forums.

Actually, I learned everything I know about building a successful web business from SBI.

The forums are incredibly helpful and give step by step instructions for getting started with facebook, twitter, and now Pinterest.

Depending on your niche, Pinterest can give your traffic an incredible boost.
It is most popular with 25-40 yr old women.

I just started using it last week and was surprised to see that some of my pages had already been "pinned"...that's a good thing, in case you are wondering

shellyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 08:22 AM   #6
SanWay
VIP Contributor

I read several blogs and wikipedia and forums of course, there are many articles in which people are talking about their own experience, best practices and mistakes. And of course i have several people to ask questions!

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

If you'd like some info and training from an expert, there's a live Q&A being held on Tues, March 27th @ 6 pm EST on our Facebook page: facebook.com/sitesell.

It will cover both social media and affiliate marketing.

Should prove to be helpful.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:37 AM   #8
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

Searchengineland.com, Johnchow.com, smo ways are some sites you should go for to learn.

Old 5th December 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
accurate.cygnet

Internet Marketing is easy to do, but hard to master. As a beginner you should find your potential customers on social media. It is said about Internet Marketing that Go where your market is. It's a long term process so you need to update your customers regularly. All the Best!!!

accurate.cygnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 09:00 AM   #10
AdamMBSmith

I found that having a website with great content provides awesome leverage for social media.

That way you've got something to talk about with your audience and something very link worthy, rather than just exchanging banter.

AdamMBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote