Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2007, 11:59 PM   #11
Crimson Fox

Do those templates include administration areas (Content Management)?
If so, how can you tell which ones have these facilities?

Or are they just static sites?

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th August 2007, 08:38 PM   #12
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If you know your way around a text editor and have a good understanding of HTML/PHP, there are a number of very attractive, clean and professional-looking free Wordpress themes that can fairly easily be adapted for use on other (non Wordpress) sites as well as customized for use on Wordpress-based sites. For instance, I've downloaded a "portfolio" of around 50-60 themes that I refer to when I want to put a site together without a lot of fuss, regardless of the platform I plan to build on.

Note, I would not recommend these for those whose experience in "web development" is limited to WYSIWYG editors. You must be familiar with code editing. A basic understanding of how WordPress theme files are organized would also be helpful.

A Google search on "free wordpress themes" should turn up any number of theme repositories. http://themes.wordpress.net/ is a good starting point.

--Torka

Old 6th August 2007, 12:13 AM   #13
Crimson Fox

I've done a bit of that with wordpress, but I found there were a few limitations. But it's still not a bad option for smaller sites. Do you style the admin area as well, or do you just leave it as wordpress?

Also, how do you find this works with updates to the blogging software?

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:58 AM   #14
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As I say, I also use these themes as the basis for design on non-Wordpress sites. Just because the theme file contains calls to the WP database, this doesn't mean I have to leave them there. I have several non-blog, non-database-driven websites out there whose design started out as a Wordpress theme.

I'm using what started out as a Wordpress theme as the basis for a Joomla template in my latest site. So just because it began life as a WP theme, it doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

Getting back to WP, I don't know of any way to style the admin area of a WP blog without hacking the WP core itself, but (IMO) why would you need to?

For me, since I don't style the admin area to start with, there are no implications when updating the WP software.

If you want to hack the core to style the admin area, you certainly can. It would just be a matter of making a note of all the changes you've made and storing that somewhere so you can reapply those hacks every time you update.

Frankly, that seems like more trouble than its worth. Anybody who's had any experience with WP will likely not expect to find a back office styled to match the front-end presentation.

And given the fact that you can use the theme selector to change the presentation of the front end on the fly, without a similar functionality for the Admin area you're better off just leaving the admin area with its default styling, IMO.

My

--Torka