Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2004, 01:23 PM   #1
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default A small "difference"?

I am very new to this whole SEO things, but find it extremely entertaining to say the least.

I rank #2 on google for "personal finance excel spreadsheets" but I don't even show up anywhere on google without those handy little double-quotes. Isn't it much more valuable to be ranked high where people don't have to use those quotes?

Jesse

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th August 2004, 01:48 PM   #2
divshow
VIP Contributor

Jesse ~

Could you put your website up so we can take a look?

Old 18th August 2004, 01:58 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If you are referring to the site listed in your profile, you need to concentrate on getting some external links to your site. Currently Google does not show any links pointing to your site and you have a PageRank of '0'.

Is your site brand new?

Old 18th August 2004, 02:08 PM   #4
BWelford

I'm guessing from the Google hint that the website is www.youneedabudget.com.

It may be tough to sell such low-priced items on the web at present when they don't know who you are, jmjj215. Even your About Us page doesn't let us know who really is behind this.

I believe people buy from people. The website visitor has to feel confidence that the outcome is going to be pleasurable. I often suggest that a website should have NBC.

NBC stands for:
News - something to indicate that your company is a mover and a shaker. People are talking about you.
Bodies - Some indication of who are the real-live people who are enthusiastic, energetic, knowledgeable and experienced and who will be putting out everything they've got to make sure the customer is satisfied.
and
Customers - Testimonials from real-life customers they can relate to who have benefited by buying the products and services.

Just my two cents.

Old 18th August 2004, 04:42 PM   #5
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default I'm overwhelmed!

I thought about the NBC idea (although not with the acronym). I read that it was unprofessional to show who was "behind the scenes" of a business. I guess I found bad information. What type of personal information would be appropriate?

Also, I am yet to sell one product, but I refuse to write fake testimonials (which I've seen toted as a great initial way of giving people assurance). How do I manage the problem of a business still practically in the womb, so to speak?

Sorry I failed to mention the site was www.youneedabudget.com.

In reply to the external links needed. I'm in a bit of a quandry there because I've found very little content on the web with which I agree (a budgeting website that has advertising for quick cash loans for instance - horrible!) or the site looks very unprofessional, which would indirectly hurt the image I'm going for. Will the search engines crush me if I am so picky about my link partners?

Sorry for the long post. BWelford, in response to the pricing of the items. I intentionally priced them lower than what the market has for similar items (although I've checked 90% of them out that are at least semi-visible and I feel I've got quality over them too ) - do you think such low prices lead people to believe the product is also low quality? i had that thought.

I'm overwhelmed from the response of all of you great people! Hence the subject line. Looks like I have many many hours of work ahead of me (but isn't it great?).

Last edited by jmjj215; 18th August 2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 18th August 2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Old Welsh Guy

There is nothing that says testimonials have to be from paying clients. Find someone who does not use a personal finance thing, and let them use yours for free. Then ask them to answer some questions. After getting the answers use them as a testimonial. Find someone who uses similar software, and ask them to ry yours. Do the same and you have real testimonials.

Why not provide a time limited version, or a feature limited version as a trial?

Old 18th August 2004, 05:20 PM   #7
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default Great ideas

That is a great idea, to give away a few copies. If anyone here is interested let me know and I'll send you the whole enchilada . I'll talk to some aquaintances to see if they would like to do the same.

I offer trial versions of everything but the Budget - but I offer plenty of screenshots and explanations. I guess I am worried about people downloading the trial version and then cracking it. Should I worry about that with an $8 product? Excel is not the tightest of applications and can be easily hacked.

Do you honestly feel a trial version of the budget would be beneficial towards instilling confidence in potential customers? I thought the unconditional moneyback guarantee would do enough for people.

Thank you so much for your comments everyone,

Old 18th August 2004, 06:56 PM   #8
StupidScript
Administrator

I'll be ordering, soon, never fear.

There is a "preceived value" issue, where your software is SO below the competition that it might be perceived as having a lower value...not just the price, but the useability, etc.

Maybe you can inject a bit more "B" into the site with a quick explanation of why it is so low-priced? Nothing too fancy, just write from your heart. ("I am sick and tired of paying a lot for a program and having it turn out to be..." ... oh wait...that's MY heart! )

You are right in that Excel is exceedingly simple to hack, but once someone purchases a copy, that's not much of an issue. Their copy doesn't need to be hacked, and can be distributed with ease. So I wouldn't worry too much about protecting the files in their useable form. You are in a position of being forced to trust people, and you probably won't get burned too badly.

If you want to time-limit or feature-disable them, you'll need a more robust format anyway.

You might consider publishing a few of the lesser spreadsheets as "shareware", where you heartily suggest that folks who use the software send you a bit of something in return. You'll gain users, and sales of the whole suite may compensate. Plus, you'll enjoy good karma, and gain a loyal following of people who look forward to your future works.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 07:07 PM   #9
divshow
VIP Contributor

I can help on the personal side of the business. If you go to my website click on the "about us" link on the navigational menu. I have a picture of my family and tell why I got into the business. I have more people call me up and act like they know me when they place an order.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any help constructing what to say.

Old 18th August 2004, 09:04 PM   #10
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidScript
Their copy doesn't need to be hacked, and can be distributed with ease. So I wouldn't worry too much about protecting the files in their useable form. .
I've actually built the budget to only work on one computer...so it does keep people from copying it - unless someone's really friendly with their register Of course I wonder if I should even worry about it...

Are you suggesting I raise the price to slightly above market? I know the products I offer are superior to those I've worked with thus far. I just priced them low because I'm not looking to score big or anything with this - just want to get people out of debt and steady with their finances.