Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2016, 04:50 PM   #1
mondo

Default Business Idea Intermostat

Hey,

I discovered this forum while doing research for our business idea.
I hope it is okay to open a new thread here, and I am very thankful for some responses.

At the moment, our idea is to build an a device called InterMoStat:
The InterMoStat is an easy to install device in your home/office to primarily monitor internet traffic, band width, and usage for each device connected to your WI FI Network. Management of each device can be administered on a computer, Tablet, or Smart phone with easy to use app.
With the InterMoStat you can monitor, which device is using which part of your total WIFI bandwidth and website usage information.

What do you think about this? Would this needed by some people?
Or have you any ideas what to change/add/...

Thank you!
Best,
mondo

mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th February 2016, 04:52 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As the parent of a 14-year-old, I'm certainly interested in seeing how much time he's spending online. Will this also allow me to see which websites he's been visiting, and for how long, as well as the overall device bandwidth consumption?

I think there are a lot of parents who would get some great peace of mind from that.

But those people may be intimidated by installing a device (or might imagine they're "tech savvy" when they aren't, really -- my experience in the tech support trenches tells me there are a lot of folks out there who fall into that category... ). So, the friendlier and more intuitive you can make it, the better. And that could be a primary selling point for this audience: peace of mind + no headaches.

A second audience might be the technophiles who want to know what's going on with their network all the time and who are interested in eking out every last little bit and byte of bandwidth. You know, the ones who already have battery saver and bandwidth monitor apps installed on their smartphones and check them multiple times a day to see how they're doing.

They'd probably like the peace of mind + no headaches angle, too.

My

--Torka

Old 12th February 2016, 07:35 PM   #3
bda_iv

Given it will require a lot of R&D to create this product, I would really encourage you to understand what the use cases are.

What are the pains families and businesses have when it comes to shared WiFi usage?
Can your product alleviate these pains?
When it comes to businesses, would this be an invasion of employee privacy?
What sensitive information could be discovered if your technology was hacked?

The more you can understand what your customers want (and the privacy concerns/limitations), the better a prototype you can build.

bda_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 09:14 PM   #4
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

WiFi bandwidth usage monitor (meter/management system)?
Those are readily available, however; I'm not sure about them having "website usage information". Can you help me understand what you mean by that? Recording websites visited by each device connected to the network? I don't think the current monitors do that.

I like the questions Torka & Brian are asking.
Who needs this? Nosy, technophobic moms? The IT technophile manager looking for employees stealing company time? Both? The jealous girlfriend? You need to identify and locate these people, then you need to communicate with them on their job experiences, pains/gains.

Why do they need it? What are they trying to accomplish? What's going on now? Are they having problems? Big problems,
Little problems? Does this solve all their problems, the biggest problems, or all the little ones?

What solutions exist now? How well do they address those problems? Is your solution so simple a great-grandpa (who's never seen a computer before) have it up and running in a jiffy? What value does your product bring? Find out by talking to those people you found.

Are those people in a contract? Even if yours is better and priced lower, they may not be able to afford to switch to your product(s). They not be able to afford what they're using now. You won't know until you ask them.

Prepare all your questions you'll need, "Get out of the house", and start asking. Don't forget to watch people performing the actions. They might say "I have no problems", but you see they're mistaken.

And even if you decide it's not the best of ideas to pursue, you might discover another idea in the process.

It's a terrible idea until you prove it otherwise. Or, it's a great idea until you prove it's not. Find out as fast as you can.

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 05:42 AM   #5
wordsbvibe

How about if you go through to open an online shopping business store which could be your long time investment and gain you a good enough money.

wordsbvibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 03:09 AM   #6
CodyDeegan
VIP Contributor

I think it is needed by people especially companies. There are actually already existing softwares with the features you mentioned. How can you be sure that yours is better than the existing ones?

Old 17th March 2016, 03:53 AM   #7
geeksonrepair

Yes, i also agree online business store is a great idea to earn money.But for this you will have to build an effective website and also have to do its online promotion,add number of excited deals and offers.In this way you will get great success in this business.

geeksonrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 10:37 PM   #8
CodyDeegan
VIP Contributor

Yes, OP will have to build a superb website with all the information about the product, how to contact for purchasing purposes, etc.

Old 5th April 2016, 09:07 PM   #9
mondo

All,

thank you very much for your ideas and thoughts!

Like you said we have talked to many people. After that, the results haven been similar to your answers: We had mainly 3 oppertunities:
1. Focus on families --> parental control
2. Focus on techies/geekies/technophiles (monitor bandwidth usage of e.g. own server)
3. Focus on small business (block e.g. pandora)

After talking to more people, we decided to focus on parental control, because this seems the most promising way. Parents want to know what their children are doing online and have the oppertunity to receive alerts, if e.g. a device is online longer than 2 hours.

We are now trying to fund the development of a prototype with an Indiegogo campaign: www.indiegogo.com/projects/intermostat/x/13549780
Check it out if you are interested!

And if you have more thoughts on it, let me know.
I am really excited about your answers!
Simon

mondo is offline   Reply With Quote