Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th February 2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Shani

Smile Advice and Help Needed...

Good morning all,

I joined the forum a few weeks ago and have been searching the archives to incorporate some of the advice given to my web site.

Just a little background;

I've built my site from scratch using Photoshop 7.0, sliced it and moved it into golive 6.0. I don't have any html or web designing background. I've read books, forums and such to learn how to build the site. I launched the site in Aug 2005, and since then I've had a few retail sales and wholesale inquires from various forums I've joined.

I need help crossing the second bridge, search engine optimization. I'm clueless how to optimize a site for better search engine rankings. If some of you wise search engine gurus can review my site and advise on what I can do to receive better search engine rankings it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Shani

Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th February 2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Shani. One suggestion to consider. Search engines don't factor in the text within your images. So any text/links that are in images would be better if they were html. For example, the image links you have for "Vanilla Butternut", Coconut, Banana Creme, Pina Colada. Those are image links. Making them text links would help the search engines reference your site for those words.

For starters - Consider changing any text within an image to html. You need to do more. But that is where I would start.

Old 8th February 2006, 01:29 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

One thing you might want to do is buy "Small Business Guide to Search Engine Marketing" written by Search Engine Guide Editor and Small Business Ideas Forum Moderator Jennifer Laycock.

I would also direct you to not only the Search Engine Optimization section of this forum but High Rankings Forum as well. These two forums are great places to learn more about SEO. Good luck!

Old 9th February 2006, 12:37 AM   #4
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I heartily second David's vote for HighRankings.com Start by reading through the Pinned sections first, or else you'll find yourself skimming and reading posts for hours on end (which isn't a bad thing but that place is pretty addictive)!

( Hi David!).

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 03:50 PM   #5
uba33
Banned

Default Link Swap

I'm no expert but for one of our website we simply linked swapped with hundreds of other small business owners & professionals. We dont really do anything now and we are always #1 under our name search in google.

If you would like to review what we did, you can visit www.unitedbusinessalliance.com. click on affiliated partners

Erik

Last edited by uba33; 16th February 2006 at 07:11 PM.
uba33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:40 PM   #6
a1steelbuilding

Think of the search engines as blind people. They can't see anything that is not text. You can put tet into your site with html. I found that learning html is easy. I bought html for dummies and taught myself. Once you have content that the search engines can read you need to start working on the popularity contest. That is getting as many links as possible to point to your content. Good luck

a1steelbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Dynamic

I am by no means a SEO guru of any sort, however I've noticed and learned that Link Popularity and utilizing the power of a Blog is such a tremendous factor in getting high rankings.

Submitting content rich articles with links back to your website also helps boost your site link popularity. ALWAYS track your link popularity using any link popularity website tracker, and see where you stand against your competitors link popularity...this way you'll get a good feel as to what you're up against in the SEO battle.

Just my 2 cents.

-Cedric

Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 11:00 AM   #8
searchguru

I love the poetry on the home page! But, you need better meta tags.

The title on each page should be a coherent sentence with your keywords. The description tag can be two concise sentences with more keywords, and the keywords tag itself can be 25 words.

You have changed the tags on each page, but the search engines respond better if it is consistent.

searchguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Ralph

All above is great info and will give you a start. Another forum with a tutorial is http://www.seo-guy.com/forum/ It can be very tecnical at times, but the tutorial is very streight forward.

While building your links try to keep as close as possibe to staying with like companies. To have a good white hat site takes a lot of work as does anything else worth while.

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchguru
You have changed the tags on each page, but the search engines respond better if it is consistent.
Are you saying each page should have the same title? If so, that is not correct. You want each page to have a unique title describing what the page is about.