Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2006, 12:49 PM   #1
grafikrtist

Default What types of businesses need my graphic design services ?

I own and operate my own graphic design business. I have seven years plus in the graphic design industry and would like to promote my business and help promote other businesses by networking. Does anyone know what types of businesses large or small might need my graphic design services ?
Please view my work samples at

flash.perfectusds.com/2082/portfolio.html

grafikrtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th February 2006, 06:51 PM   #2
pixeltorch

You could try doing freelance work over at designoutpost.com or a freelance site such at elance.com or guru.com. Another idea is to contact some design firms asking if they need some extra help.

pixeltorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
visitor

A good graphical representation will enhance the given topic/service and/or product's relevancy, a significant factor in conversion. With that said, the need for your service(s) is not limited to a certain 'type' of business. In previous years, it was difficult to track effectiveness of graphical presentation(s), but with various analytic programs available nowadays, it's easier to obtain the conversion data of graphical representation(s).

Having a tracking-record of your work will make your portfolio more attractive, but it's not a necessity as many companies evaluate the quality of your service by its visual aspect(s). As pixeltorch stated, taking a proactive approach is worth the effort. If not found, make yourself to be found

From looking at your portfolio, I noticed some Halloween related product designs. Perhaps, you could contact companies like OTC (Oriental Trading Company), FrightCatalog, etc. They probably do have in-house staff working on their graphics, but during their busy seasons (Halloween and Christmas), there might be some opportunities for freelance work.

Best wishes to you

Your humble,
Visitor

visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 11:38 AM   #4
esearing
VIP Contributor

ALL businesses need graphic work for websites, brochures, and other materials.

Like anything else, find a target niche. Create items for non-profits, small businesses, churches, be an expert on car window stickers, anything that will define you as unique from the "we design logos and do graphics" crowd.

Try advertising on Craigslist.com
Try your local small biz administration, chamber of commerce, or visitors bureau.

Put more examples in your portfolio, or at least have them available. Learn what it takes to do this as a full time business even if only working part time.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
a1steelbuilding

I agree with the suggestion for elance.com and guru.com. those are two places that i regularly use to find people. also you might want to attend some of these internet conferences and give out your business cards that would probably be a very targeted crowd you.

a1steelbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Sherm

I have used elance a few times w/ good success, so I agree you should look into that....

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote