Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2015, 05:18 PM   #1
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Arrow Is YOUR Website Mobile-friendly?

Are you ready? Google’s punishing new search algorithm-update — its most severe ever — will begin rollout next Tuesday. It’s not too late yet to get your site mobile-friendly.
Not sure if your site is mobile-friendly? Test it here (this is the ONLY test that counts, not matter what you think being "mobile-friendly" means!):

https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

The test will tell you if you pass or fail — and WHY you failed and what needs fixing.

Google says it may take up to 2 weeks to complete the rollout, so that gives you some time to upgrade your site if needed.

But if your site is NOT mobile-friendly, and you rely on your online presence to get customers, be prepared to have your site vanish from Google's Mobile Search Results — and plummet in rankings in other Google Search Results (organic and local).

MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:56 PM   #2
JOSourcing

Honestly, I think there's a little fear-mongering going on here.

First, Google will not remove a non-mobile-friendly site from its search engine. It will simply demote it in favor of sites that are mobile-friendly.

Second, since this change only affects mobile search, rankings in other Google search results will not be affected.

JOSourcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 06:28 PM   #3
kindsvater

Whether a site is "demoted" versus "removed" is mostly irrelevant. I agree it will be a demotion. But if your site is not seen by visitors because it was demoted, then it might as well have been removed.

Considering Google has said approaching half of searches are on mobile devices, I don't see any fear mongering. That's a big chunk to kiss-off as "only" mobile searches.

kindsvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 03:02 PM   #4
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Talking It would be fear-mongering if linked to an offer

Google is paying attention these days to social signals of various kinds.

If your site drops from page 1 to page 10, it effectively becomes invisible, because even secondary social signals will cease, leading to an even faster loss of visibility.

There's no longer much simple causality in search engine results these days.

As for fear-mongering, Google's own comments on this restrict it to less-than-ethical agencies using it to promote unnecessary services.

If you look carefully, I make NO reference to any offers in my post. (I don't even offer such services in my business.)

Old 18th April 2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

No worries John, I know you weren't mongering.

I'm not ready with my own sites. More programming to do over next few days. This site needs an upgrade to VB5. Basically any VB forum that isn't up to date with the latest update, poof - gone from mobile - including us until we update.

Old 18th April 2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Spider
VIP Contributor

Google's goal is to deliver the most relevant sites, or so they say.

Google can tell where a search is coming from, and on what device it is being made.

So, I don't see why Google would want to reduce the exposure of desktop-friendly sites to desktop searches, when relevance is an important factor.

They seem to be saying they will reduce the exposure of non-mobile-friendly sites to mobile searches. Regardless of the site's relevance to the search? That seems to me to be counter-productive.

Therefore, seeing as I don't altogether trust Google, I think there must be some ulterior motive for Google to come up with this idea.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
They seem to be saying they will reduce the exposure of non-mobile-friendly sites to mobile searches. Regardless of the site's relevance to the search? That seems to me to be counter-productive
When you program the webpages for the site and the mobile version, each page is annotated so that google knows they are the same page, but one is a mobile version. Technically the mobile version is not ranked separately or on its own merits. Instead what happens is Google provides the user results based on serps that are filtered only to show mobile friendly results. So the relevance of the page is not important IF there is no mobile version provided.

What I find interesting, in the above scenario I don't have to have the same content on my mobile page as regular site. Seems an area for exploitation to me.

Old 18th April 2015, 10:58 PM   #8
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What I find interesting, in the above scenario I don't have to have the same content on my mobile page as regular site. Seems an area for exploitation to me.
Damn right — I've got an entire new business system in the pipeline based on this dichotomy. And because there are such fundamental differences between searcher motivations on desktop and mobile platforms, I don't see Google being in any hurry to change their strategies.

Old 18th April 2015, 11:31 PM   #9
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

The first thing that comes to my mind is...Gamification Marketing.
Has anyone tried testing those waters since most mobile devices are used to play games?

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 02:44 AM   #10
designdigital

Still enough time to make your website mobile friendly.

designdigital is offline   Reply With Quote