The best strategy in my opinion is the following:
1) Make sure your website is optimized (titles, meta descriptions, internal links, sitemaps, rss feeds, etc) for your keywords that you are targeting.
2) Make sure your Google Plus Local (former Google Places) is optimized
3) Claim and verify as many 3rd party directories (yelp, yellowpages, manta, etc) as possible and make sure your contact information matches to the letter the one you have in Google +.
4) Create accounts on the major social media websites. Even if you don't plan or using them, it is a good idea to create them. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Gravatar would be a good list to start with. Make sure your business contact information matches the one in Google +
5) Make a video. It can be a a video of you, a powerpoint presentation and screen capture, an animation, etc. Preferably create a couple of videos. Make sure your keyword and phone number is in the title of each.
In the description of each video, provide a link to your website and also create a citation with your business contact information.
The above strategy, while basic, will provide you with a pretty strong foundation in terms of links, social signals and citations.
After all of that is done, you can go into more advanced link building and promotions but that is a totally separate topic.
Hope this helps,
Last edited by Robert; 10th September 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Reason: links removed