Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default If You AdWord I Have Some Great News...

This may be the most simple advice and maybe even common sense, but it can be so easily overlooked.

If your like me your obssessed with keeping your PPC properly managed and your constantly changing and testing Ads, Landing Pages, Keywords.

Here is the best advice I can give you...Stop for a second...breathe...now let me tell you that your results that your receiving will be the worse results you will ever have. Thats right your only going to get better each day, month, year.

You must have at least two ad versions for every ad group. No more than four and never have more than three. Two ads must be created.

Now turn the ad rotation to evenly shown. Do not accelerate the ads for the best performing. WHY? because that option really benefits Google more than you. It will show the best CTR ads more often. Well CTR is click through and we should be more concerned with Conversions. So one ad may have a good CTR but poor Conversion. We want to determine the best ad with Conversions and Conversion Rate (this will require you to turn on Conversion Tracking).

Ok now that you have 2 Ads and Conversion Tracking you now have your floor and should only get better from today on. HOW?

Once your ads are created never, NEVER change that ad. If you want to change something about that ad, create a new one.

Wait for 30 clicks per Ad and see which ones have the higher Conversions and I do look at CTR but Conversions is my main metric.

Simply, delete the worse performer and create and ad that tries to beat the best performing. Use components of the best performing in the new ad and wait for at least 30 clicks - 50 would be ideal.

Did the new one beat the previous winner? Delete the worse performing.

Over time your going to create a killer ad and because your constantly improving your CTR will naturally go up and Google will reward you with higher positions at a lower price.

There you go - Good Luck. This simple advice (as oppossed to tweaking existing ads, deleting all ads and trying new ones etc...) will pave the way for you success.

Old 29th April 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Man, my grammar is terrible - I should read the post before hitting enter.

"I never have more than three ads" is what I meant to say.

Old 30th April 2009, 07:24 AM   #3
smallbizzpro

Default Create a ezSmart Site

New way of advertising your business Online is creating ezSmart Site using WOWzzy.com

smallbizzpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 07:37 AM   #4
dennisg

Send a message via Skype™ to dennisg

Thanks for the information, I found this very useful because being new at the adwords I need all the tips I can get.

dennisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
royhunters

Yeah Man that is EXACTLY what you do. Carve that post in stone and dont forget to use that info as a way to help modify your website, what works in the ads, works on the website!

Cheers! Great post!

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:26 AM   #6
lunartcorp

This is the best advise in Google Adwords someone can receive.

Thanks for this post. Hopefully people do not overlook this idea anymore!

Regards,

Jose

Old 14th August 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
smallbizmkter

Absolutely good advice! You would be amazed how many clients' adwords accounts I see with only one ad! They have no way of knowing whether it is the ad that is not performing or the keywords, etc.

The other aspect of having 2 or more ads in an adgroup that should be considered is don't change more than one thing about the ad when creating the split test ad - e.g.

Ad 1 - Headline A, Body A
Ad 2 - Headline A, Body B
Ad 3 - Headline B, Body A

So you can compare each ad with the other (30 clicks minimum as Johnny suggests) and really know what it is about a particular ad that is working or not.

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 05:46 PM   #8
mdb3sgte

WOW! Great info! Going to try it out tonight.

mdb3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote