Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th August 2009, 06:30 AM   #1
MRchamps

Default SEO Updates Of 2009

Some of the major SEO Updates that took place this year are

1)Google improves flash indexing
2)Canonical link element
3)PR and backlink updates
4)Search refinements ans snippets
5)Google show options
6)The launch of Microsoft bing
7)No more pagerank sculpting
8)Google webmaster update-summershine
9)Google caffeine

These updates are discussed in detail in SEO Updates

Old 18th August 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I agree regarding flash, but my thoughts after meeting someone who manages a top brand site that is flashed based. Even though google has made improvements with indexing, most flash sites when they were developed were not created with the search engines in mind. Because of this, even though google may be improving things doesn't mean the sites were developed with search in mind. Typically they weren't, based on my experiences.

Old 20th August 2009, 01:40 AM   #3
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

You have nicely presented those facts which made huge uproars in the search engine optimization industry. I think Canonical issue is the best update because it was the result of the joint endeavor by all three major search engines.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 02:30 AM   #4
juliasmith

Thanx for posting

juliasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 05:17 AM   #5
sytun

Send a message via MSN to sytun

What is pagerank sculpting?

sytun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 05:47 AM   #6
MRchamps

Each time you link to a page, you are voting for that page and passing on PageRank, even if you are linking to an internal page in your website. So, it is important not to pass PageRank to unimportant pages of your website.
By structuring the links on your pages, you can have influence on how the PR is spread on your site. This is called Page Rank Sculpting.
Search engine optimization professionals started using the nofollow attribute to control the flow of PageRank within a website. This practice is known as PageRank sculpting.
PageRank sculpting is an SEO tactic that involves adding the nofollow attribute to links for which PageRank flow is not necessary

Old 21st August 2009, 07:58 AM   #7
imsmall

Google "Caffeine" will make SEO harder?

imsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

I don't think so imsmall. My understanding based on the research I've done of it is that Caffeine has little/nothing to do with the algorithm (the formula used to rank pages) but instead the infustructure/file system google runs on. In the long run, this may mean they can do different things ... but currently that is not a concern I have.

Old 22nd August 2009, 07:02 AM   #9
megri

Send a message via AIM to megri Send a message via MSN to megri Send a message via Yahoo to megri Send a message via Skype™ to megri

I like Google caffeine, it has good keyword ranking for my websites

megri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 03:17 PM   #10
SBMarketingGuy

Google's Caffeine update will not make SEO harder. It will only penalize those who use blackhat and unethical techniques. If your website has relevant content to the search terms you are attempting to rank for, then you will not be hurt by Caffeine or any future updates. Remember, the goal of Google is to deliver the most relevant results for any given search. So concentrate on content, white hat back linking and website promotion, and you will never have to fret over any search engine update.

SBMarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote