Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2012, 05:45 AM   #1
webdesignseo

Default Link Baiting

Hi guys, Could you tell me about what is link baiting?

webdesignseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Link baiting is the process of creating and promoting interesting, informative (and usually controversial) content in order to gather links.

It's like "baiting a hook" when fishing. You need to use bait the fish will bite in order for it to work.

In link baiting, you use content as the "bait." Some link baiters don't even think the content has to have anything to do with the rest of what's on your site, as long as it gets people talking about you (and linking to you).

Link baiting, if done correctly, can get you a lot of links and social media buzz. Whether posting a lot of compelling but unrelated content is good for building your brand or encouraging people to buy what you're offering... well, that's an entirely different matter.

From what I can tell, it's a tactic used primarily by people who think that "links, links and more links" is the key to success online.

My

--Torka

Old 13th July 2012, 03:51 AM   #3
HenrySmoof

Really nothing to add to Torka's post.

An example of link baiting is for instance on websites where contributors/writers that are responsible for content are paid for the amount of clicks their article generates. This means that the title of their article or w/e needs to be as catchy as possible. Something that draws attention like "Madonna on drugs!!" then you open that article and it can be a complete non-sensical jibbrish showing Madonna going out from drugstore.

HenrySmoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Link baiting is the process of creating and promoting interesting, informative (and usually controversial) content in order to gather links.

It's like "baiting a hook" when fishing. You need to use bait the fish will bite in order for it to work.

In link baiting, you use content as the "bait." Some link baiters don't even think the content has to have anything to do with the rest of what's on your site, as long as it gets people talking about you (and linking to you).

Link baiting, if done correctly, can get you a lot of links and social media buzz. Whether posting a lot of compelling but unrelated content is good for building your brand or encouraging people to buy what you're offering... well, that's an entirely different matter.

From what I can tell, it's a tactic used primarily by people who think that "links, links and more links" is the key to success online.

My

--Torka
Great explanation Torka but I'd like to add in that before attempting anything like this, you need to have your website 100% completed. I mean every page needs to have the proper on page SEO. You need to MAKE SURE your category names are EXACTLY what you want them to be.

I have worked on websites where the category titles needed to be changed, and link building (and baiting) was already done. Nobody found them because they had bad category titles.

If you change your category titles your changing your URL's which means your changing every link under that URL, which means, NO MORE LINKS. There is loss of a LOT of time and effort. So make sure everything else is done.

As far as Link Baiting Tactics, You need to write quality articles, make quality video's, or give away a PDF that other people will post on there site with a link back to your site in that PDF.

Here are a few other ways

Content Link Baiting

E-Commerce Link bait

Social Media Link Bait

There are many other link baiting tactics and let me tell you, some of them get very creative.

Link building IS the BEST way to make your site #1 in the SERP's AFTER your website has the most quality content it can have on its own and your still hanging around #5-#20.

Another way to link bait, take a look at my medicalproductblog, it's got great content that would be hard to put in my E-commerce website. I have a lot of links going to my E-commerce website from my blog. So once i have enough articles and time on my blog I will link build to my blog with the bait that I make every day, and that will bring some juice to my main site as well.

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com

Last edited by Mike.Bean; 13th July 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySmoof View Post

An example of link baiting is for instance on websites where contributors/writers that are responsible for content are paid for the amount of clicks their article generates. This means that the title of their article or w/e needs to be as catchy as possible. Something that draws attention like "Madonna on drugs!!" then you open that article and it can be a complete non-sensical jibbrish showing Madonna going out from drugstore.
I would have to disagree......

This is not the case by any means.

www.mediabean.biz

Old 13th July 2012, 08:27 PM   #6
ronsidney

I am in process of adding a free pdf download to get people to visit my site..It was suggested by a friend of mine who is helping me learn SEO..I am very knowledgeable about my industry(vending and coin operated amusements) and i have posted in forums for years just passing the time.

Is what i hope is like you mentioned is that people will link to my site so they can get the free download(id say competing manuals sell for $25 or so)

are you saying (the last guy who responded) that this is bad idea??

also..there is this seo guy that helped me build website the wants me to hire him to post links to my site in network he has of like 500 articles/blogs...He said this will really bring me up in the rankings as they are all highly ranked sites.

I read a few of them and they seem dumb as the guy is actually in Europe and i don't think the writers know my business too well..Is this something that should be a no no also??

you guys are great for helping newbies like me..thank you

and also i noticed alot of new guys posting their link in their responses but when i tried to put one in mine (as i was told i need to put in everywhere possible) it was deleted by moderator?? Do i really look like a spammer here??

thanks again
ron

ronsidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsidney View Post
and also i noticed alot of new guys posting their link in their responses but when i tried to put one in mine (as i was told i need to put in everywhere possible) it was deleted by moderator?? Do i really look like a spammer here??
Hi Ron,

I set up your signature file for you so your link will show up automatically each time you make a post. You can learn to make changes to your signature file here:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...hread.php?t=56

Due to the amount of spam we do receive there are many automated and manual filters that occur and sometimes this will affect good members by accident. Sorry for the hassle and it's great to have you here with us.

Old 15th July 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
ronsidney

Thank you Robert,

I have been placing my listings on classified sites across the US for my products as well as auction sites.. Some of them will allow link but not all,,I'm doing this for the SEO as well as i hope to get sales from these sites.
My product is a worldwide product and i have exported but 99% of my sales are domestic.

Torka mentioned the Great Links and I've been searching those out , i have read that the great directories like dmoz will give your link the oomph she mentioned. But does the links i post on forums like this and on classifieds sites really help at all??

I think i could post links all day everyday and never make a dent on the WWW!!

Can i start a new thread about vending a coin op as it is a great small business for alot of people as it has real low start up costs?

thanks again Robert,

ronsidney

ronsidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 01:01 AM   #9
sophieperrone

as far as i know, this is not link baiting Henry,

kindly read Mike.Bean's above post for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySmoof View Post

sophieperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsidney View Post
I am in process of adding a free pdf download to get people to visit my site..It was suggested by a friend of mine who is helping me learn SEO..I am very knowledgeable about my industry(vending and coin operated amusements) and i have posted in forums for years just passing the time.

Is what i hope is like you mentioned is that people will link to my site so they can get the free download(id say competing manuals sell for $25 or so)

are you saying (the last guy who responded) that this is bad idea??

also..there is this seo guy that helped me build website the wants me to hire him to post links to my site in network he has of like 500 articles/blogs...He said this will really bring me up in the rankings as they are all highly ranked sites.

I read a few of them and they seem dumb as the guy is actually in Europe and i don't think the writers know my business too well..Is this something that should be a no no also??

you guys are great for helping newbies like me..thank you

thanks again
ron
I wasn't saying that it was a bad idea I was just saying that is not what Link Bait is.

I think people would stay on your pdf page more if it had a relevant title though. People will click on a spoof title like that more but they are more likely to close it right away if the article in your pdf has nothing to do with the title like that.

use a relevant title for better click through rates, lower bounce rates, and more convertions (if you are trying to lead them somewhere to buy something with that pdf)

www.mediabean.biz