Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
GoldenEclipse

Default What is happening with google?

something happens to google - in last 2 month it works much slower. indexing of websites takes much longer.
but msn opposite - indexing of website is much much much higher than on google. what the reasons?

GoldenEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:49 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

I've read of others having similar experiences but I don't know why.

Old 16th March 2006, 06:21 AM   #3
KevinW
VIP Contributor

MSN definitely indexes much faster now. Google second, and often Yahoo/Inktomi is notorioulsy slow.

Did you submit your sitemap to google? That helps...

Also, having HIGHLY targetted inbound links helps a lot. My forum sig here doesn't count. It's targetted, but not HIGHLY targetted.

I have a site about CafePress, new, with links to it in the CafePress forums back to it. My whole site was spidered in days, and I had a PR5 in less than 2 months. I also ranked #9 for the search term CafePress almost instantly.

I have another site (my business site in fact), that has MORE inbound links, but not as targetted, and it's not doing nearly as well with G. So it seems to be there MO these days.

I think MSN is spidering quickly these days in preparation for the actual launch of Live.com, which is in Beta now if you want to check it out.

Old 16th March 2006, 10:58 AM   #4
copywriter

Google is in the middle of a rather large update (Big Daddy) that has their datacenters going bonkers for the time. Sites have been reported popping in and out of positions daily as well as falling completely out of the index (seemingly) then returning two days later.

Your sites are probably experiencing the results of the ongoing update that will probably last another 2-3 weeks or so. Nothing to "do" about it, just hang on tight for the ride. It will all settle down soon.

Old 16th March 2006, 12:02 PM   #5
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Big Daddy certainly will have an effect. The Googlebot is VERY active on one my sites (hundreds of visits a day), and inactive on the other. Very inconsistent at the moment, but as you mentioned, nothing we can do about it.

Old 23rd March 2006, 03:34 PM   #6
davidlt

Default google's web page information is missing

one of my sites (the one in my signature) has missing web page info. I put my url in google and hit search and sometimes only half the info is there.
Also, when I click on "similar to" and "link to" I have no information. What can I do, and does it matter?
PS Yes i'm a newbie

davidlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 03:37 PM   #7
copywriter

Nothing you can do. It's Google's engine and Google's update. Just hang on 'til it's over.

Old 23rd March 2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Old Welsh Guy

Big Daddy is INDEED big. It is an infrastructure update rather than an algorithm one. I have seen massive changes in it. An example is the phrase 'Internet marketing consultancy' a month ago (and for the last 12 months or so) the search return amount has been around the 20million figure. On Big D datacentre http://64.233.179.104./ that search now returns some 64 million pages. it is slowly propagating across the web.

Itv appears that the new infrastructure allows Google to query far more pages than they could before.

Old 23rd March 2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlt
one of my sites (the one in my signature) has missing web page info. I put my url in google and hit search and sometimes only half the info is there.
Also, when I click on "similar to" and "link to" I have no information. What can I do, and does it matter?
PS Yes i'm a newbie
As a newbie I hope you take this advice as advice and not criticism. But most of all I hope you take heed to these suggestions.

1. Be careful with your hidden text (the bright yellow writing down the bottom of your page) that says:

Commonly misspelled words:
Leese, lese, laese, opshun, opton, optoin, optin, rent to one, rend to own, financeing, renttoown,rent 2 own,rent2own, renttobuy,rent 2 buy,rent2buy, Henepin, Hennepen

2. Be careful of your keyword stuffing of all the suburbs at the bottom of the home page. I would suggest you amend this quick smart before Google picks it up as a spam attempt or someone in your industry comes along and reports it. Turn that into a few paragraphs of real contextual writing, rather than stuffing the keywords the way you have. Eg. We service the following areas in XX County/State .... suburb name, suburb name, etc.

3. Reduce your title length and optimise it for the engines. The less you have in your title, the more weight engines put on those keywords or keyword phrases. Eg. Rent to Own Houses and Lease Option Homes in Anoka will be a majopr weight for your ranking as it is the first basic term in your title when you do get indexed/ranked properly, but how many will search for that EXACT term on engines? Perhaps instead of having Rent to Own Houses and Lease Option Homes in Anoka, Chisago, Isanti, Sherburne, Andover, Ramsey, Hennepin, Henepin, hennepen, Washington, Carver, Dakota, Scott, Wright, MN as your title go for this option instead ... </title>Rent to Own : Houses : Lease Option Homes : Anoka : Pick 2 or 3 major suburbs/counties here</title> This will ensure that your phrases/keywords used in your title get more "weight"

4. Your keyword meta tag is just way tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo long and you need spaces after each comma! <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="rent to own,rent to own mn,rent to own Anoka,rent to own Chisago,rent to own Sherburne,rent to own Andover,rent to own Ramsey,rent to own Hennepin,rent to own Henepin,rent to own hennepen,rent to own Washington,rent to own Carver,rent to own Dakota,rent to own Isanti,rent to own Scott,rent to own Wright,renttoown,rent 2 own,rent2own,renttobuy,rent to buy,rent2buy,lease option,lease option MN,lease option Anoka,lease option Chisago,lease option Isanti,lease option Sherburne,lease option Andover,lease option Ramsey,lease option Hennepin,lease option Henepin,lease option hennepen,lease option Washington,lease option Carver,lease option Dakota,lease option Scott,lease option Wright,lease with option,lease with option MN,lease with option Anoka,lease with option Chisago,lease with option Isanti,lease with option Sherburne,lease with option Andover,lease with option Ramsey,lease with option Hennepin,lease with option Henepin,lease with option hennepen,lease with option Washington,lease with option Carver,lease with option Dakota,lease with option Scott,lease with option Wright,lease with option to purchase,lease with option to purchase MN,lease with option to purchase Anoka,lease with option to purchase Chisago,lease with option to purchase Isanti,lease with option to purchase Sherburne,lease with option to purchase Andover,lease with option to purchase Ramsey,lease with option to purchase Hennepin,lease with option to purchase Henepin,lease with option to purchase hennepen,lease with option to purchase Washington,lease with option to purchase Carver,lease with option to purchase Dakota,lease with option to purchase Scott,lease with option to purchase Wright,lease to purchase,lease to purchase MN,lease to purchase Anoka,lease to purchase Chisago,lease to purchase Isanti,lease to purchase Sherburne,lease to purchase Andover,lease to purchase Ramsey,lease to purchase Hennepin,lease to purchase Henepin,lease to purchase hennepen,lease to purchase Washington,lease to purchase Carver,lease to purchase Dakota,lease to purchase Scott,lease to purchase Wright,lease to own,lease to own MN,lease to own Anoka,lease to own Chisago,lease to own Isanti,lease to own Sherburne,lease to own Andover,lease to own Ramsey,lease to own Hennepin,lease to own Henepin,lease to own hennepen,lease to own Washington,lease to own Carver,lease to own Dakota,lease to own Scott,lease to own Wright,lease to buy,lease to buy MN,lease to buy Anoka,lease to buy Chisago,lease to buy Isanti,lease to buy Sherburne,lease to buy Andover,lease to buy Ramsey,lease to buy Hennepin,lease to buy Henepin,lease to buy hennepen,lease to buy Washington,lease to buy Carver,lease to buy Dakota,lease to buy Scott,lease to buy Wright,contract for deed,contract for deed MN,contract for deed Anoka,contract for deed Chisao,contract for deed Isanti,contract for deed Sherburne,contract for deed Andover,contract for deed Ramsey,contract for deed Hennepin,contract for deed Henepin,contract for deed hennepen,contract for deed Washington,contract for deed Carver,contract for deed Dakota,contract for deed Scott,contract for deed Wright,purchase contract,purchase contract MN,purchase contract Anoka,purchase contract Chisago,purchase contract Isanti,purchase contract Sherburne,purchase contract Andover,purchase contract Ramsey,purchase contract Hennepin,purchase contract Henepin,purchase contract hennepen,purchase contract Washington,purchase contract Carver,purchase contract Dakota,purchase contract Scott,purchase contract Wright,leese to purchase,leese to own,leese to buy,leese option,lease to perchase,perchase contract,leese to perchase,owner financing">

Try instead to reduce this to something like: <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="rent to own, rent2own, renttoown, rent 2 own, county name x 5, state name x 5rent2own, lease with option, mortgage, a few other keywords here but don't overload it>

5. Same with your description. Reduce it.

6. SEO should not be done by stuffing keywords. Engines pick up on this and it ends up hurting you for a long long time, sometimes getting you completely banned. If you wish to span priority keywords across each page, write for humans and not for search engines. You can still write copy that includes keywords, but ensure it is written for humans to read and not the other way round. Add lots of pages of hints and tips, guides on how to watch out for rogue industry professionals, how to check for termites and rodents and other pests, how to check with local authorities or local schools for parents, etc, etc. Content is your key to both search engines and other site owners. But content written for humans to read. This will then give other site owners a reason to link to you - eg. Other industry professionals that are not in direct threat of your product you are selling (garden maintenance, house maintenance, insurance agents, etc) will link to you if you have good advice for their clients to read. And ultimately the more NATURAL links you get to your website from other site owners, the better your rankings and positioning will become (as well as lots of human click traffic that follow those links that you would perhaps never have received before).

7. Use Alt Tags on your pictures. This also helps with search engines.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gav

Last edited by Gav; 23rd March 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 10:12 AM   #10
dre

Quote:
MSN definitely indexes much faster now. Google second, and often Yahoo/Inktomi is notorioulsy slow.
It seems like Yahoo is just as fast as MSN for me.

dre is offline   Reply With Quote