Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2011, 10:06 AM   #1
elsoft

Send a message via Skype™ to elsoft
Default What Are The Steps In SEO?

Given a website to be optimized for search engines.Where do you start and what are the steps that you plan and implement to get the best possible results.Please share.

Old 28th June 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Websites are a lot like diamonds... they both take several facets to make them shine. For that reason, there isn't a magic bullet for SEO. There are several issues that you need to address.

If I were starting, the very FIRST thing I would do is sit with (brainstorm) the different words/phrases or terms people would be expected to put in a search box to find you. What is YOUR customer looking for? Build that list (and it never stops growing) and start with content for those terms. A page of content should be between 250-500 words or more if you like... and include many of the terms/phrases related to that topic.

With good content, I would work on Page Titles and Meta Descriptions for each page. I know some will argue that meta descriptions don't matter, but I have watched some of my pages rank high in search not necessarily for the title... but for the terms used in the meta description.

So in short, you need GOOD ORIGINAL CONTENT that is placed on pages with RELEVANT TITLES and GOOD META DESCRIPTIONS.

After that, and depending on your business, put emphasis on things using bullet points and in site link strategy to be sure that you include relevant anchor text in your links.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Johndiv23

There are a lot ways to optimize a website. But before optimizing it, you must first identify certain key points. First off what kind of site are you optimizing, identify the sites niche so you'll know where to promote the website.

Next is keywords, choose the right keywords for your site. Research these on the internet to have some good keywords.

Next check out the competition. if a certain keyword has millions and millions of competition then its advisable to look for a new one.

Once these are all done, you can then start out on optimizing it. There are a lot of ways to optimize a site, like blog post, social bookmarking, etc.

I hope this helps.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Sanity Check

I agree with BeTheBest. Here are my thoughts.

(1) Pick your keywords carefully. Make sure you are picking keywords that maximize your chances of success.

(2) Build your web pages.

(3) For each page on your site, focus on ONE keyword.

(4) Title, Headline <h1>, and body text (400+ words in my opinion, although many say less) are your priorities.

(5) Meta-tags are like believing in God according to Pascal's Wager. It doesn't hurt, and it might help, so add both keyword and description tags.

That's it for on-page SEO. Off-page involves trying to acquire backlinks from relevant content on other sites.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 02:28 AM   #5
mauricegreen

Basically SEO process involves two major steps:
1) On-page optimization.
2) Off-page optimization.

Now, what actually you do in these process actually gives you results.

mauricegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Raylau

It is a big thing, what we have to do and where we need to start. There is over 200+ terms that affect our search engine ranking and we should consider more and more things in our strategy and it should be according to google and other search engine's guideline.

Second step is,

Does your website is able to beat your competitors or you are going to wast your time.

I mean by doing competition analysis, do it before start.

Raylau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:20 AM   #7
SunilSamuel

I thought I might elaborate on those points a little.

1. SEO Friendly Website Design
1.1 Ensure you do not have dynamic links (e.g. index.php?var=value) - Search engines do not tend to pick up on these very well
1.2 Do not have duplicate words within your meta keywords
1.3 Every meta keyword and description tag should be unique for every webpage
1.4 Titles should be different for every page
1.5 Ensure there is plenty of unique content on every webpage
1.6 Your link structure should be carefully designed

2. Check what Keywords to use
Use something like the Google Keyword Tool to find potential keywords:
http://www.google.com/sktool/#

Try to pick a phrase with at least three keywords in it - these should be easier to rank for. Check the KEI for each keyword to see the competition.

3. Competitors
Find your potential competitors - which websites do you want to beat in gaining business from the search engines? Analyse their websites carefully, some things to analyse:

Webpage Title
Meta Keywords
Meta Description
H1 Tags
Internal Link Text
External Link Text
No. Outgoing Links
No. Incoming Links to website
No. of webpage indexed on the search engines

Try searching Google for some off-site SEO ideas. There will be loads of articles out there!

SunilSamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Hulbert Lee

Start with keyword research. Pick out the keyword you want to target. Create on-page SEO factors for a webpage for the keyword. Build quality content around the on-page SEO factors. Promote webpage through getting good back links. That's the basic steps in SEO.

Hulbert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 10:37 PM   #9
smallbus01

SEO requires a long-term outlook and commitment. You need to have a good website design. Optimize search results by using good keywords on headers, tags and titles. Make a research on what keywords to use. Make a research on your competitors(always good to have a heads up). Put up good content in your website, remember generating a lot of traffic isn't good enough. You have to convert those into sales.

Good luck.

smallbus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbus01 View Post
SEO requires a long-term outlook and commitment. You need to have a good website design. Optimize search results by using good keywords on headers, tags and titles. Make a research on what keywords to use. Make a research on your competitors(always good to have a heads up). Put up good content in your website, remember generating a lot of traffic isn't good enough. You have to convert those into sales.

Good luck.
Your post reminded me of something else that's critically important. If you have a large site, strategically link your similar pages together directly. Don't just rely on the drill-down method, because that doesn't do as good of a job of passing link reputation to your third tier content pages, and link reputation is everything.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote