Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th October 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Default Is Traffic Affecting The Top Ten Of Google?

I have a AdWords campaign and I was thinking about closing it down. (to try something new threw AdWords) I know you need some form of traffic to be considered for a top ten or a good listing anywhere. Shutting down my adwords will cut 30%-40% of my traffic. I will still have a good ammount of traffic.

How will this affect my SEO and Google top ten spots?

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
FixCourse

Default Maybe, Maybe Not

Hi Mike,

It may or may not affect you.

Your success depends on a lot of factors including,
- Competitiveness & search volume of each keyphrase you're targeting
- Quality and quantity of back links
- Site usage data (including traffic, bounce rate, loyalty, etc.)
- Social signals (social media recommendations)
- Quality and quantity of site content

Usually, paid traffic (AdWords) is just one individual factor that goes in to organic rankings.

If your traffic is diversified and these other factors are good, then it probably won't affect you too bad.

However if you're relying on paid traffic and these other factors aren't strong, then you could slip in the rankings.

Hope that helps!

FixCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

The way that works is not logical. You could be spending $1 a click per adword and get traffic from it, or you could go to stumble upon and pay 5c a click, granted the adwords traffic is a lot better traffic (more relative and someone might actually buy your products) but if traffic is all your looking for you might as well go to stumble upon and get 5x that ammount of traffic.

www.mediabean.biz

Old 18th October 2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Is the quality of your traffic such as time spent on your site also a factor?

www.mediabean.biz

Old 19th October 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
shah123456

Default Measure your conversion rate.

If your site is ranking good, then also PPC make a good impact to force users to visit your site.

It works like an addon for you, more over your should also check the conversion rate for your site, if it still remaiins same then no issues, it it get affected then you should keep your adwords account live.

shah123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:49 AM   #6
henricsmayores

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixCourse View Post
Hi Mike,

It may or may not affect you.

Your success depends on a lot of factors including,
- Competitiveness & search volume of each keyphrase you're targeting
- Quality and quantity of back links
- Site usage data (including traffic, bounce rate, loyalty, etc.)
- Social signals (social media recommendations)
- Quality and quantity of site content
Hello, I would just like to ask of what you mean about "social signals" ?
I am very new to SEO and I would like to know the more details about it.
Thanks!

Henrics

henricsmayores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 12:11 PM   #7
FixCourse

Hi - thanks for your question!

So one of the big future impacts on search will be social signals. Basically, they're social media recommendations based on how many direct Tweets, Likes, and +1's your pages and domain receive. You can see more on this link from an SEOmoz report on the future of search ranking factors.

Search engines are trying to make the search results personalized for each person. So the results will be tailored to recommendations from your connections in social media. The big three are Twitter, Facebook and Google+, so it's important to at least create an active presence.

Also if you're new to SEO, I would suggest reading over these SEO articles to give you so practical information.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions!

FixCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henricsmayores View Post
Hello, I would just like to ask of what you mean about "social signals" ?
I am very new to SEO and I would like to know the more details about it.
Thanks!
Like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and all of the many other social networking sites.

www.mediabean.biz

Old 20th October 2011, 05:31 PM   #9
henricsmayores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Bean View Post
Like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and all of the many other social networking sites.
Okay. I thought "social signals" are those that I heard one of the "signals" being tracked by Google in ranking the websites.

henricsmayores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 09:11 PM   #10
numeric

I noticed that adwords will “use” SEO to evaluate the quality of your site and give you a quality score based on that to some extent. The higher the quality score, the lower your click cost will be. In fact, ads will start showing less or not show at all if the quality scores starts to dip below 5. I have seen adwords impacted by low quality sites, but not the other way around. There are plenty of high quality content that never use adwords. Google is committed to serving up quality content and that is why they are the #1 search engine on the planet by far. Think about it. If google gives better SEO to sites that use adwords… or in other words, PAY GOOGLE to get better rankings, what do you think will happen? Google will most certainly get slammed by every media outlet on earth. Google tries very hard to be unbiased with their search results, so that is why they want to keep the influence of Adwords away from SEO, but not the other way around.

Why are you considering dropping your adwords campaigns? Are they getting too expensive? Are they not effective in getting you sales? What you want to do is systematically test out keywords using exact match first. One keyword per ad group so you can track exactly how well each keyword is doing. Adwords work really well for some sites and not well at all for some others. Before you drop your campaign, you really want to know whether or not its working well for you or not.