Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th January 2008, 03:17 PM   #1
JackieHFS

Default How To Increase Radio Ad Sales In NH, MA And RI

Looking for ideas on selling radio ads in the NH, MA and RI areas. We are a small weather forecasting company located in southern NH. We provide weather forecasts to cities/towns, colleges/universities, airport ground crews and radio stations. Some of our radio stations pay us with radio ad spots. We are great at selling our weather products but trying to sell this radio ads has been extremely challenging. I know our rates are fantastic and many of the ads we have are tied to the weather for sponsorship which is a big advantage when trying to generate name recognition. We have more stations wanting to sign on with us and for barter (more radio ads) and we don't want to take on more radio stations until we can set up a distribution channel for our current ad inventory. I have contacted a few ad agencies but have not had any takers yet. As I mentioned we are a small comany so if we continue to spend all resources trying to sell these radio spots, we are neglecting selling our weather products to cities/towns, colleges/universities. Any ideas on what we should do to get these radio ads sold?

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:57 AM   #2
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Who are you trying to sell the radio ads to and what are your current marketing methods for the radio ads? Maybe we can brainstorm ideas. I sell traditional radio advertising for a local station and podcast advertising for a small group of podcasters.

Old 11th January 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
JackieHFS

Default Radio Ads

Thanks for the brainstorming help. I have tried small businesses, large businesses, current clients that we have for weather forecasts, political campaigns especially since we just had the NH Primary! I met with one small ad agency and there is some interest but nothing happening as of yet. As you know getting to the decision makers in the large companies is a lot of work but I have made some inroads but nothing yet and as a small business we are doing these radio stations for free until we sell this block of inventory.
Thanks again.

Old 11th January 2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

For starters, do you run any radio ads of your own promoting the radio advertising available? I would start there, mentioning that people could try free.

Old 11th January 2008, 10:53 AM   #5
JackieHFS

Default Radio Ads

Yes, we have run ads on some of our stations to call us to sponsor this weather forecast and so forth but so far no luck. It is frustrating since I know our rates of about $7.25 per spot is a very good rate but so far no takers. Some of the radio stations do not want us to advertise the ads at great prices though because I know our rates are way below what they charge, if they sell it to a customer. We also can't advertise the fact that we can get your company on 6 to 8 stations around your target area because the radio stations don't want to promote other stations. We are working to revamp our website too so we can include the information about the radio ads. But for know I just keep plugging away and banging my head to get this done. However, it is taking a lot of time away from being able to sell our weather products to cities/towns, colleges/universities and so forth. Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Old 11th January 2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Hi Jackie, I realize it can be frustrating. While we haven't tackled your problem yet, I'm confident that the initial info you are sharing will help and RadioGirl/ others will be back with some more ideas for you. You might also want to search through some of the forum threads here about marketing your website. For example, have you tried running a pay per click search advertising campaign. You could target the keyword "radio ads" or even "buy radio ads" to those within your geographic area?

Old 11th January 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
JackieHFS

Default Radio Ads with Pay per click idea

I haven't actually tried the pay per click yet but have thought about it. Not always sure the best place to try it. Through one of my searches, EBAY was also mentioned but I am just in the preliminary stage of checking into that. Thanks

Old 11th January 2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Logan
Administrator

I would give ebay a shot, especially with your pricing. They do have a huge audience, and a few here do have very good success - although not with radio ads as far as I know. It should be very inexpensive to promote your offer on ebay - and see what happens. Testing different ad tactics is really the best way to go. I'd go for it with ebay, just may solve your whole problem seriously. and if not, then you know for relatively minimum costs.

Let us know if we can help any answers with pay per click. But I suggest trying ebay first.

Old 12th January 2008, 09:31 AM   #9
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Unfortunately it does take a long time to sell radio - often multiple visits and follow up.

One thing that you might want to consider is article marketing - something that explains the benefits of radio advertising in an informational manner. Link to a media kit that concentrates on the benefits, pricing and so on. That's been fairly successful for me with the podcast sales aspect. I am updating and upgrading the media kit now...it's a constant process with the network that I work with as we are really in the starting stages of working together so I'm learning more as i go along.

As with all marketing you'll have to focus on the benefits and nurture the relationships.

Another idea you will want to consider is audio testimonials from your current advertisers. Adding these to your current commercial rotation will be more effective than just promoting that ads are available. One way to sell this to the client is to tell them it gives them extra free name mentions when their testimonial plays. They can be very simple. Hi I'm so-and-so from such and such company and we advertise through sponsoring the Weather reports in blah-blah town with great results. -- and then add you too can reach your target market with us - call/email/etc (only one choice...always only one call to action in audio) and your contact info.

A PPC campaign and a Ebay campaign may be helpful as well...though to be honest I find that with audio advertising, there are not a whole lot of people who actually look for it! But your mileage may vary...

Old 12th January 2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Logan
Administrator

I agree with the 'not a whole lot looking for it', but I was thinking that there may be a few that do ... who seek out very low rates ... I don't think it would work in most cases, but if you have an offer that is ultra competitive that might be a difference that matters in this case.