Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2006, 01:52 PM   #1
RobinClapp

Default Questioning Free Trackers

I have had my website 1 1/2 years, never looked into tracking.

I recently realized that the host has been keeping track all a long. So I looked through those stats.

I had been given the suggestion of using free add on stat trackers. So I tried extreme yesterday.

Loved it, it was definitely an improvement on my host stats.

But I soon found out that anyone can click on the icon and view my stats. I'm not sure I am confortable about that. So I then tried the addfreestats.

Question, do I have to add the free code to every page of my 5-page website to get tracking on multiple pages?

I was able to password protect the icon with addfreestats, which I like.

Anyone see a down side to these free tracker? Since they are so new to me, I'm just not aware.

I'm a vacation home rent-by-owner, with a personal website. But I rely heavily on advertising sites to bring me business. So I've never took the SEO very seriously. But I was pleasantly surprised at my ranking on some searches that clicked thru to my personal website yesterday. Considering I've never done anything to my website (knowingly) to grow this ranking...

Very exciting to me.

Robin

RobinClapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:57 PM   #2
a1steelbuilding

These free trackers do provide some service. You just need to realize the down side and decide if you would rather pay for a better solution. If you are not making alot of money on your site you will probably be happy with a free tracker that keeps your data between you and the free provider. I would suggest that you add the code to all of your sites to make sure you have the best stats.

a1steelbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default Extreme Tracking follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1steelbuilding
I would suggest that you add the code to all of your sites to make sure you have the best stats.
(Hey Robin - good to see you here! Fellow vrbo-er)

anyway did you mean to add the code to all sites or pages? Is there any harm is using the free stuff besides savvy competitors checking out your stats, keywords, etc? Right now there is enough business to go around and only a few even pay attention to this, I think...

How much does a good tracker cost?

Old 28th February 2006, 06:47 PM   #4
iconcameras

Robin,
Maybe my eyes missed that you were in MA, but I went to your site and saw the property in NH and had to look twice to see if I misread! We're in NH and it always seems like no one else is from the area.

One of the top free trackers out there is SiteMeter, and I believe they give quite a lot of info. with their free account and they let you make your stats private as well. I actually met a fellow student in law school who was related to the founder of the company. Another tool that I use (on my personal website only) is gvisit (www.gvisit.com), which actually shows you a map of the world with the locations of your visitors plotted on the map. It's pretty impressive, really.

The only real drawback to trackers is minimal, but they always add a little piece of code to your page(s). Most often this is a javascript or similar file to the tracker website, so technically it could affect your page load times, but again this is probably not noticable.

-Matthew

Last edited by iconcameras; 28th February 2006 at 06:49 PM.
iconcameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
RobinClapp

Hi Matthew,

Yes, my vacation rental is in NH. But I live in Ma.

I'm on my third free tracker, I tried:

extreme tracker, addfreestats, and now statcounter

I'm trying them on for size. I understand that all this information is only useful if I know what to do with it.

I might try a few more before I am done. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am learning that search engines are finding my site and people are clicking thru. This is new and welcome information to me. I don't do adwords, so I'm not sure how to go about using this information. I can see however that the words of description under my website title are different for each search. And I believe this tells me that the text on my site is what is making it into the search engine.

Is this assumption correct? If so, then, I should continue to keep my site's content rich and useful and hope the trend continues and brings business in my direction.

Sentences from my newsletter that I posted on my webpage last week made it onto a MSN search today, that quick, isn't it?

Robin

RobinClapp is offline   Reply With Quote