Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
georgia_peach

Default Twitter, Facebook?? - Help Me!!

I am so behind with the social websites. I have a Myspace page. But what is going on with all the other sites. Are they effective to help you promote your business? If so, which ones? Help a social butterfly!

georgia_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

I have been "twittering" for a while now and have found that it has helped me network with & follow other professionals in my industry. It also gives me an opportunity to listen and watch for good tips and articles. It has not done anything to increase business, however. (Not ruling that out, just not yet). It takes longer to generate "followers" then with facebook because w/facebook you usually have a large base group of friends.

Twitter uses status updates similar to facebook, but since they only list updates (no notes, pictures, etc.) it is quicker to scroll through.

I am finding that I use facebook more for personal networking & twitter for business, but you can combine both.

Old 6th March 2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm definitely in the same camp as Kim. That is, facebook is where I basically have fun and see what's new with friends and family. Twitter is by far my preferred tool for networking with like minded business people. I find twitter to be incredibly friendly and "reciprocal."

I firmly believe in the power of twitter to grow your business but you have to use it with a conscience and a purpose. You have to contribute and pay attention.

Could say so much more but do check out all the great articles on twitter over at Search Engine Guide. You'll learn a ton!

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 08:11 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

For business, LinkedIn can be a good alternative. There are a few others (Fast Pitch and eCademy spring to mind -- there are others) that are specifically for business generation / getting hired and the like. They're generally much friendlier toward overt business promotion than more "social" places like Twitter, Facebook and MySpace.

The important thing to remember, IMO, is that the real purpose of most social networking sites is socialization. If you push too hard on the "develop your business" aspect, you end up a pariah -- much like the stereotypical insurance salesman who buttonholes everyone at the class reunion, trying to sell them a policy.

IMO, for best results, use these sites for networking, not so much for direct selling or overtly pushing your business.

My

--Torka

Old 8th March 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
businessbeware

I'm in the same boat as most of the ones that responded. I use Twitter more for business rather than facebook. The hard part about facebook I find is that you can invite your friends but it's hard to network with people in your target audience with what your business might be. The nice thing about Twitter is you can update your new posts on your blog, things related to your business, etc. A lot of businesses (even top news sites) are on Twitter that you can follow and they might even follow you. I was suprised at how many decided to follow us and that are still coming in. I think both are great tools to use for your business.

businessbeware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 04:02 AM   #6
Gate2Shop

Send a message via Skype™ to Gate2Shop

I think Facebook has proven to be very useful, it is leaving most of the others behind as far as advertising and exposure.

Gate2Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
PRpro

I think it depends what you are trying to accomplish with the site. I like facebook for the shear fact that people can become fans of your product,site etc. Linkedin is great for networking with other professionals but may not help you get to your target audience. I don't know much about twitter, but it seems like it could be an alternative avenue to try and create buzz about your products.

PRpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
customtollfree

Myspace is the thing of the past, too much junk in it. Now, twitter and facebook are the social media common to many online marketers. Twitter, if used correctly can drive massive amounts of traffic to your site. Now with the "new" Facebook, the really cool thing about is its news feed.

customtollfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 02:35 PM   #9
menexis

Send a message via Skype™ to menexis

most of these social network sites are only good for increasing brand awareness about your business. as far as sales and conversion, i would not bet on it.

menexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 03:08 PM   #10
SteveSe939

I haven't read up much on this Twitter, but it seems like there's good results from it, so I'll check it out.

SteveSe939 is offline   Reply With Quote