Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th February 2008, 06:16 AM   #1
JackieHFS

Default Trade Show Giveaways

HI All,
I am getting ready to order 3 different trade show giveaways thank to all of your helpful input and some of the ideas I had.

1. 250 LED mini flashlights with key ring in a case and additional batteries. (these will be what we give to our medium to hot prospects that we send pre show letters to).

2. 500 bottle openers w/ key ring or tape measure (still trying to decide based upon pricing). These will be given to people as they stroll by our table and speak to us.

3. 1,000 business card size magnets (which will be at the registration desk since we have the registration desk sponsorship at this trade show we are attending)

I should also list an additional item. The registration clerks will be wearing our company shirt. I think we may do a light, sleeveless fleece vest since that looks better than a t shirt. Also we have to provide shirts fo 2 days and the vest can be worn over a solid color shirt each day. We have a local vender who has done some company shirts in the past so we need to see how much they will charge for this.

Anyway, what has your experience been working with the promotional companies that sell and create these giveaways with logos. I am hoping I can find one company that has the 3 items I am looking for and will work with me on pricing (since I will be ordering 3 items), design and such. Some of the companies, I used websites for want $36 to ship one item. Of course, once I find some with the competitive pricing and the 3 item we want, I will try to work with a sales rep.

Maybe the promotional company is interested in radio ads? - Hey have to try every angle in today's economy right?

As always, thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th February 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
SmallMerchant

Send a message via AIM to SmallMerchant

Hello Jackie,

I have done a lot of trade show work, but do not have much insight as to where to buy the best giveaways.

However, I do have an idea for your pre-show mailing. If you send them a flashlight they may remember you, but unless they carry the flashlight with them, they probably won't remember to specifically go to your booth. What I have done in the past that really works, is giving them a reason to come to your booth. Instead of spending tons of money on your flashlights buy one really cool item, like perhaps a GPS unit OR Nintendo Wii. That will cost you far less than a bulk order of giveaways.

In your letter give the prospect tickets to enter your raffle. Tell them to come by the booth and drop in the tickets to enter the raffle. Since they are special prospects tell them you are giving them an extra ticket... or something like that.

This brings them to the booth without the serious cost of little giveaways.

Best of luck!!

Nick

Old 9th February 2008, 11:16 AM   #3
JackieHFS

Default Giveaways

Nick,
That is an interesting idea. We plan on sending the pre marketing info to our med. to hot prospects and invite them to come buy and give us the enclosed paper and they will get the small LED Flashlights and also as we speak with them, we are going to ask for a business card (with their complete info) and enter that into a drawing to win 2 tickets to a local pro team. (Bruins, Celtics and possibly Red Sox if I can get tickets and they are on sale prior to the conference). I am going to talk to the CEO and see what his thoughts are as well. I know we are trying to come up with stuff to have a the registration booth, stuff at our booth and the promo giveaway and it is getting pricey. I am hoping I can find a company that will cut me a deal on the 3 items. Plus we have the sponsorship of the registration desk and have the option to provide the clerks with our shirts, so there's more money. I am hoping we sign 5 to 10 clients out of the 1,000 that will be attending and it will all be worth it. Thanks for your ideas though.

Jackie

Old 9th February 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
SmallMerchant

Send a message via AIM to SmallMerchant

Jackie,

I am glad to help! I know how darn expensive the custom giveaways can be but our company has slowly tried to get away from that because we just don't see the return. Be sure to find some way to measure response... well I suppose if you book those 5 - 10 clients you'll be all set!

What trade show is it?

best, Nick

Old 10th February 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
JackieHFS

Default Trade Show

Thanks.

It's the New England Facilities Expo in Boston. We are targeting Facility Directors/Managers for colleges/universities, large campus facilities, and cities/towns Public works directors/managers.

Jackie

Old 12th February 2008, 09:35 AM   #6
mktgbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMerchant View Post
Hello Jackie,

I have done a lot of trade show work, but do not have much insight as to where to buy the best giveaways.

However, I do have an idea for your pre-show mailing. If you send them a flashlight they may remember you, but unless they carry the flashlight with them, they probably won't remember to specifically go to your booth. What I have done in the past that really works, is giving them a reason to come to your booth. Instead of spending tons of money on your flashlights buy one really cool item, like perhaps a GPS unit OR Nintendo Wii. That will cost you far less than a bulk order of giveaways.

In your letter give the prospect tickets to enter your raffle. Tell them to come by the booth and drop in the tickets to enter the raffle. Since they are special prospects tell them you are giving them an extra ticket... or something like that.

This brings them to the booth without the serious cost of little giveaways.

Best of luck!!

Nick

Great point Nick.
One thing I'd recommend..........don't send them away empty handed. Give them something decorated with your logo.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
MYSB Editor

Hi Jackie,

People have posted some good ideas. We have been in many, many trade shows and have found that the promotional items with the longest shelf life have been the ones that people need---and will use---daily. Ours is a B2B (business-to-business) market, so we print up note pads with our logo on them and people snatch them up because they are always looking for pads for their desks (writing down phone messages, etc.)

We also see a lot of consumers pick them up. They aren't really our market but you never know if they have a side business or know a friend or relative who could use our services. We keep our logo and contact information fairly small so there is lots of room for writing. We hear from people who have had one of our pads on their desk (a daily reminder!) for months and tell us how handy they are. Lots of firms give out pens with their name on them (I must have a dozen different ones in my desk right now), so we stay away from them. Your needs may be different, but this has worked for us. (We have a printer who we give a lot of business to and he prints 1,000 or so every year for free!) Hope this helps.

Judy

MYSB Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 08:28 AM   #8
JackieHFS

Default Tradeshow

Judy,

Thanks for the thoughts. I finally ordered my products earlier this week and I am hoping they will have some impact. I felt I ended up with some good prices on everything after getting quotes from about 12 places. Since most of the people attending will be facility managers/directors, I thought the LED Flashlight key ring will be a great giveaway for our hot prospects. Our pre marketing letter will invite them to our booth for a special giveaway (hence the flashlight) and they will also be entered to win professional sports tickets. Since have the sponsorship of the registration desk (and were limited on what we can giveaway because other sponsors signed on for pens....) we decided to go with something inexpensive but still got our name out there and it was a business card magnet . These will be at the front registration area which will also have our name on 3 to 4 lighted panels across the front of the checkin booth. We have another giveaway but that one will not be focused on our med/hot prospects but attendees who stole by and we start to talk with.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Jackie