Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Writers Block???

According to the dictionary, writers block is usually a temporary psychological inability to begin or continue work on a piece of writing.

I've personally never had writers block, but I know several people who have.

I just don't understand how it's possible for someone to get writers block.

Ideas are all around us - on television...on the radio... in the newspaper...at the park...driving in our cars...in our triumphs... in our tragedies...etc., etc., etc.

Ideas are everywhere.

All you have to do is keep your mind open and be receptive to those ideas.

Please don't think I'm making light of writers block, I'm not.

I'm just trying to figure out how it's possible for someone to have it, that's all.

I know it's a temporary, psychological issue.

Can someone help me understand how writers get it?

Have any of you ever had writers block?

How did you overcome it?

What are your thoughts about writers block?

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th November 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

My own experiences with writers block are correlated to a lack of interest. For example I have experienced writers block in college when assigned writing that was not of interest. Motivation can be a factor in my opinion, but that applies to just about anything.

Old 27th November 2006, 09:22 AM   #3
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

My college writing professor told us not to wait to be inspired to write, but to write anyway. If you always waited for inspiration very little would ever get written. I know that doesn't have anything to do with writers block but it does lend to always trying to keep the creative part of the brain primed and working, so when inspiration does come you're ready for it.

I think for some, writers block doesn't have anything to do with the availability of ideas but the availability of ideas that one has enough interest in to put pen to paper and/or to be able to adequately put down good words on that topic. There is plenty to say but sometimes we feel as if we've said it all. There are plenty of good ideas but no passion behind them when it comes time to write.

Most of all, I think writers block is simply a bit of creative burnout. Most people, when they write, they want to give something a unique perspective. If they can't then they are effectively creatively blocked from writing.

Must my $0.02.

Old 28th November 2006, 08:51 AM   #4
mysterygirl

I think that a writers block can stem from various reasons. OF course, motivation is one of them, an important condition. Without motivation to write something, you're nowhere.
Furthermore, I think that your expectations are an essential part. If you expect to much of yourself and are unable to deliver on that expectation, it may result in a writers block...

mysterygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 10:38 AM   #5
DougWrite

I've had writers block and it stems from the fact that it's hard to get all of my ideas in an organized and logical fashion. I know what the objective of the article I have to write, but where to start is a different story... I guess with experience it helps to find tips and tricks to overcome. I found that writing an outline and brainstorming a bunch of ideas together helps put a logical sense to it all.

DougWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
arena_buzz

writers block - for me - is more of an absolute fear of a blank or unoriginal page

There are many many times i find myself not in a creative mindset and i have to work on techniques that i know get me thinking

it's hard! some people just have the gift of ideas, i guess.

glad to hear you're one of them

arena_buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
reemshuks

I've experienced writers' block before too. I think it helps when you're writing about a subject you are passionate about.

reemshuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
twitchy

it's true, if the topic doesn't interest you'll end up with nothing to write. usually i find it hard to start a topic. one more thing, when i write i like my surrounding to be very quiet, no music or any sound at all. just the sound of my fingers tapping the keyboard, or else i'll have a writers block

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 01:07 PM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Dale I envy you since I have had writer's block from several of the reasons mentioned above. I think a lack of focus for me is probably the biggest reason I may be blocked over a particular piece of writing.

St0n3y nailed the solution though which is not to wait for inspiration, but just to write. The inspiration will come once you're writing. I've seen the advice several times before and it's good.

I've had days where I needed to get something written and the last thing I wanted to do was write. I just wrote anyway and in the beginning the words weren't all that inspired, but eventually they became so. And even those uninspriing words were able to generate ideas for later writing.

Old 5th March 2007, 04:18 AM   #10
ffaust

I feel hard to start a topic too. But after it's simple to write on the topic. All current events could be considered from different points of view.

ffaust is offline   Reply With Quote