Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th July 2005, 06:03 PM   #1
A Little Hut

Angry The definition of plagiarism

Check out these logos:

www.tdc.org
www.desert-troon.com

When I found out about this case this morning I shot an email to all parties involved. As a graphic designer this makes my blood boil and I just can't sit on the sidelines and not speak up. Not only is the plagiarism blatant to the extreme it is affecting one of the most respected groups in the design industry that would completely expose anyone doing the same to someone else. It's absolutely ridiculous.

The only reply I received was from the TDC Executive Director and she said that they were taking care of things. The logo was designed for them in 1994.

BTW, the trademarks are official on the USPTO for the name only (Desert Troon) not the logo.

These aren't small businesses by any means but just thought I'd share.

Stepping down from my soap box.

A Little Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st July 2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Holy Cow! I expected to see two logos that were "similar" not exactly the same! Good job shining the light on this.

Quote:
BTW, the trademarks are official on the USPTO for the name only (Desert Troon) not the logo.
The sad thing is the "trademarks" confused me at first as to which site rightfully owned the logo.

Old 19th August 2005, 09:56 PM   #3
A Little Hut

Today I have another rant along the same lines. This time it is a lot more serious because it involves the complete degradation of what I do for a living. As a graphic designer I am appalled by the "trend" of the cheap-quick-fix logo sites that are out there. Not only do they completely degrade my career by offering hacked out services but they are stealing the work of reputable designers and selling them as their own work.

To check out a summarized version of what's been going on today at several design forums I frequent check out this blog:

http://www.thepreparedmind.com/pm/in...-or-logojerks/

Basically you get what you pay for. Please help spread the word and hire REAL designers that will care about your business, your goals and the future well being of your business.

Old 20th August 2005, 12:05 PM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Wow. How do you spell b-l-a-t-a-n-t?

A good graphic designer is still a must. Those logo shops spit out cheap, nasty stuff. And I used the word "spit" intentionally.

I discovered a domain that completely lifted my ENTIRE site some time last November (I know it was then because my site has changed a lot since then.) I mean, they took every single word. The "About Us" page is still about me. The only difference they made is to sub their domain name wherever I mentioned mine, and they of course changed the "Buy Now" links so it goes to their email address.

In the meantime I'm using another way of purchasing (still through paypal, but protected) and I've had an attorney draft a letter to the hosting company, and registrar (same company). The contact info doing a whois is, of course, bogus.

I'm waiting to see how GoDaddy responds. They should take down the site immediately. I haven't been too bothered because they haven't appeared anywhere competitive. I just googled my name and it was all over their site so I found it.

Should I be flattered someone thought my product was worth stealing? Nah - just ticked off.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 04:57 PM   #5
A Little Hut

Actually you can go to www.copyscape.com to see if anyone is using any of your content.

Old 20th August 2005, 06:27 PM   #6
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I had changed my main pages enough that copyscape wouldn't have helped too much. Although they are pretty useful. Does anyone pay for their monitoring service? It would get rather tedious to enter in every URL for every single article...

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:56 AM   #7
A Little Hut

The stolen logos found so far...

http://www.baddesignkills.com/logoworks/index.htm

Old 26th November 2005, 08:17 AM   #8
marvinniven

Default Amazing ...

I know this is not a current thread but I had to post when I followed the link to the rip off logos. It is amazing how many there are and how obvious the copy is. Check out the site posted by A little hut - its well worth it.

marvinniven is offline   Reply With Quote