Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > Questions About the Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th September 2007, 12:55 PM   #1
klock75

Default Spam Spam Spam

Wow, this forum is just loaded with SPAM! Provide value and include a signature file, but flat out sales pitches....sheesh...sorry was that too harsh on my first day?

klock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th September 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

It seems like the last week or two the Spammers have been heavy hitting. But the mods here are very efficient and right on it. You can probably help them out by reporting posts as well.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Not to harsh, but would you care to point out the threads you are referring to?

Posts that are just a sales pitch are removed. But those that provide valuable info without pitching their stuff are ok and not considered spam as you describe.

A post isn't considered spam here just because of a signature link. We are ok with others providing their expertise, and having a signature link.

We think those who do contribute (different than a sales pitch) should receive some exposure/benefit for contributing to the community.

As always feel free to report anything you think is spam and I can assure you that all are reviewed quickly and fully. We get very few reports - although a hat tip to Ken as he has reported a few.... so I can say most spam is removed before many waste their time viewing it.

Again, please let us know what threads you are referring to so we can address things specifically.

Old 25th January 2010, 05:24 AM   #4
larrym0515

Smile

yes, it would be highly appreciated if you could report spam on this site, so our mods can delete them

larrym0515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
jadesummer9

Hi there, If I may just ask, what are the criteria on how to distinguish spammers. Because for me, by looking on the signature alone is not a spammer. If you will going to concentrate with the signature then why they have to put in the user cp in the first place. Moderator can actually remove signature button right. You cannot call them spammers as long as they can contribute to the forum, share knowledge and learning as well. If you will going to ask me, spammers are those member posting a simple sentence or one word comment such as "Nice, Cool, Very good, etc." Those simple and non relevant reply, for me those are the spammers.

jadesummer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 02:52 PM   #6
BrittMalka

Hi klock75

Well, I've noticed a few posts being like "oh, nice post. I agree", but only a few.

Most of the posts I've seen has had a high quality, and I've learned a lot just from reading.

And I guess the icon "Report Post" can be used to report spam, can it not?

Old 6th April 2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittMalka View Post
And I guess the icon "Report Post" can be used to report spam, can it not?
Yes it can and it's very much appreciated! It really helps keep the spam out.

I'm glad you are enjoying the forum.

Old 7th April 2010, 01:38 AM   #8
AndreyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadesummer9 View Post
Hi there, If I may just ask, what are the criteria on how to distinguish spammers. Because for me, by looking on the signature alone is not a spammer. If you will going to concentrate with the signature then why they have to put in the user cp in the first place. Moderator can actually remove signature button right. You cannot call them spammers as long as they can contribute to the forum, share knowledge and learning as well. If you will going to ask me, spammers are those member posting a simple sentence or one word comment such as "Nice, Cool, Very good, etc." Those simple and non relevant reply, for me those are the spammers.
I'm totally agreed with you. And the another thing - I think the report button can be used incorrectly. All posts go to the moderators for confirmation at all, I can't understand why once confirmed post have to go to moderator again, because of somebody's mind. I think that's needless. Although moderators deleted few of my posts I think they do their job sufficiently, I'm pleased with their diligence and the results are good - the spam does not bothering in the forum.

AndreyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Hi AndreyC. Its good to hear you are happy with our moderating. Let me clarify this for you -

Quote:
All posts go to the moderators for confirmation at all, I can't understand why once confirmed post have to go to moderator again
While the case may be that all of your posts were reviewed by a moderator, that doesn't mean that applies to every post here at the forum. There are certain criteria that determine if a post is reviewed by a moderator. If the case was all posts were reviewed by a moderator, then you would be correct that a report button would be redundant. Additionally, we also do realize that we can make "mistakes" as moderators by approving something that is spam. Members reporting spam is part of our system in place, and does help us keep the board as clean as possible. When you see it, just report it and you can be sure that we will address it. This in turn makes the forum better for everyone. Thank you to all who report spam for that!

Old 9th April 2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I find this forum is very active with the spam, you have to be these days. I run a forum and was flooded with spam, so much so that I had to make the rules so tight just to stop them. I have even blocked China and Russia because majority was coming from there

Unfortunately on the internet there are those who do not know how to use forums and think spamming gets them somewhere, providing the forum moderators and admins are on the case then it is removed, just glaze over the spam or tell them they are idiots hehehe

But all told, this forum is very good for eliminating those who think spamming is a good idea