Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th June 2010, 10:44 AM   #41
ajohnstone

I use Craigslist for my consulting business, which is fairly new. It's been successful so far, seeing as how it's possible to take on new clients in a matter of minutes. Sure, they are very small businesses with small budgets, but as a new consulting firm we need all the clients we can get. The goal is to use Craigslist to establish enough of a client base so that our future business will come from referrals and word of mouth. I would say it's a great place to get started, but I don't see it as a place to make a career.

Last edited by ajohnstone; 1st July 2010 at 10:11 AM.
ajohnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:42 AM   #42
onlinehandyman

Default works for the handyman

Craigslist works great for my handyman business. Although some are looking for us to work for free we have also gotten some excellent leads. Not to mention the price being so right to advertise.

onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:42 PM   #43
offroadaction

Craig's List is a double edged sword. I own a few websites that really benefit from CL, Kijiji, etc. They are information based websites. One covers vintage 4x4's (restorations, vintage photos and event coverage, etc) while the other covers off road racing across Canada. I typically get 100-200 hits per ad and most of them end up reading an average of 2-4 articles. What I am not sure is if I am retaining them and if they are coming back to the site the following week, etc.

However, like others said, I have found that a lot of CL users to be interested in price only. They only want the cheapest and do not want to compare quality to the price. I have posted ads for a few companies and in the end we have decided not to continue. Because the companies deal with high end auto accessories, it was not a good match.

For my racing site, I use google alerts to notify me of upcoming events across Canada. A lot of these alerts come via Craigs List or Kijiji ads and I have made some great contacts. So, if you are planning an event, both venues are a great way to get the word out.

offroadaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 03:36 AM   #44
netpup

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Like just about everything else in life, there's a high road and a low road. You ALWAYS win when you take the high road. In my opinion, CraigsList isn't what I would call the high road.
you always win in life when you dont post on Craigslist? Wow. Thats pretty amazing

netpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:05 AM   #45
k0ded

Default Gray Areas

Depends on your goal...

Shooting for stability, longevity? Stay away.

Want to attract customers who's beliefs are "low-price first, great service second"? Go for it!

Either way, it's a tedious way to generate new business.

I know this would work well to generate "side business" and "weekend cash" but be sure your certain of your goals when employing it.

Hope this helps.

k0ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:54 PM   #46
johntomp

I find Craigslist works well for my business. We offer small business outsourcing services and I've been able to find some great clients by going through the help wanted section and replying to people who have opening that don't need to be filled by an on-site employee.

We initially tried posting our services and had no luck, but replying to people's needs has worked great.

johntomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 12:41 AM   #47
Green Tech Guy

I have used craigslist numerous times and it does work. BUT use a dispposable email address because you will get tons of spam. I made this mistake and now my email address [email protected] is now useless to me, which sucks.

it has gotten very difficult to use now so when i do use it i pay a guy to post ads for me. He charges me a $1 per post and that works out well.

Green Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 06:20 AM   #48
vasilisa

as i know there are many articles which describe tips you should know before using Craigslist, and i didnt heard that you can be banned for a word...it is interesting, neccessary for me.

vasilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 01:33 AM   #49
RashmiP

How many days an ad will be there in craiglist?

RashmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 08:42 PM   #50
LifelinkCPR

How about for a CPR business just starting out?

LifelinkCPR is offline   Reply With Quote