Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Strive4impact

Default What to look for when choosing Affiliate Programs

So you've decided you want to become an Internet Marketer? Will you sell someone else's products or sell your own?

If you choose to sell someone else's products, how will you know what to look for? After all, this is a new venture for you.

Or maybe it's not. Maybe you have been trying out some affiliate programs which have not brought you any money, or, worse, have not paid you for the affiliate traffic you have sent them.

If you are the new person, or the person who is floundering in Internet Marketing, this article will offer you some simple tips for choosing an affiliate program.

This article doesn't cover getting traffic to your site, which is another huge piece of the puzzle, and will be covered in a later article, but let's just start with choosing affiliate programs.

#1. You should find affiliate programs that:

a) are relatively easy to set up (code is either created for you or easy to create)

b) will pay you well. This depends on your definition of what being paid well means, but generally, for most beginners, and some novices, if you can see yourself being able to make more than $250/month, the program is at least worth looking at

c) give you products which people actually use. There are lots of products in the market which will sell, but do you really want to be selling pet rocks? If you do, please don't take offense. Most legitimate affiliate advice sites won't feature affiliate programs that are exclusively selling something like 8-Track players and tapes. While there are probably collectors out there who would love an 8-track player and cassettes, the fact is that the market is done with 8-tracks. The point is, there should be a genuine need for, or interest in, what you are selling/reselling.

So you find a program which meets the above criteria. Now what? Do a Google search on the company. Find out what people are saying about them. You may have to dig a bit, but the combined experience of the professionals (and not-so-professionals) who develop and contribute to the Internet on a regular basis is, collectively, the best source of advice you will find on making money, or affiliate programs, anywhere.

If you want advice on some great affiliate programs, you can visit sites which have already reviewed the information about companies and present it to you in a straightforward way. If you are ready to find some great affiliate programs, then you will be able to find categories of affiliate programs on these sites, which will generally represent the type of products you would like to sell.

Search engines love content, and so do your site visitors. Content is one of the most important aspects of getting people to your web site, and helping them to see the value in what you're selling. You should strive to choose programs with products which are related to your web site.

In other words, if you have a site which features information about the Toyota Camry, you're going to be pretty hard pressed to be able to get your page content matched up so that you could sell, say... baby rattles.

Find affiliate programs which relate to what you already do, and then promote those products.

Finally, see if you can find someone to actually talk to (ok, email would be okay) who has received regular checks or payments from marketing products. We think that this is, perhaps, the most important part of any affiliate program, because the main reason you promote their products is to receive a check for your efforts.

So there you have it, some simple tips for choosing great affiliate programs! Hope this helps you to reach your income goals, and also helps you to develop a long-term plan for on and off-line financial and personal success.

Jonathan Kraft has been an online marketer for many years, and now helps others understand affiliate programs at affiliateadvice.us. He is currently working to help people find the best phone and calling card affiliate programs at http://www.affiliateadvice.us/phone-...-programs.html

Last edited by Strive4impact; 1st July 2004 at 11:52 AM.
Strive4impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st July 2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strive4impact
Do a Google search on the company. Find out what people are saying about them. You may have to dig a bit, but the combined experience of the professionals (and not-so-professionals) who develop and contribute to the Internet on a regular basis is, collectively, the best source of advice you will find on making money, or affiliate programs, anywhere.
Great advice!

Welcome the the forum, Jonathan!

Old 15th July 2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Lynn Terry

We were just discussing this topic on my own forum, so I thought I'd share my response there here as well - hopefully some will find it helpful!

----

I think a lot of it is in the marketing... I've had success with a wide range of affiliate programs.

Some affiliate programs convert better than others, obviously. You should put some consideration into:

- whether the merchant offers a general or specific landing page (or allows deep-linking if general)

- how professional the merchants site is (do you feel visitors will buy from this page?), and how easy is the order process?

- whether the merchant offers multiple payment options (some of which you wont receive commission if chosen), including that they may accept telephone orders (and promote that heavily on the page)

- is the sales copy strong?

... etc. Maybe a few Members can add to this list, also

Lynn Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Strive4impact

Default Thanks!

Hey! Thanks for the comments on the article and for posting your own. Glad you enjoyed your reading. I do send out a weekly newsletter with tips like the above, if you're interested.

http://www.usaaffiliateprograms.com/...ewsletter.html

Thanks!

Jonathan Kraft

Old 17th September 2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Strive4impact

Default Lynn's tips are awesome

Hey Lynn! Those tips are awesome as well. I'm wishing I had incorporated them into the article. Good suggestions!

Jonathan

Old 18th September 2004, 12:19 AM   #6
Lynn Terry

Thanks! Just signed up for your newsletter - looking forward to it

Lynn Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Search4news

Send a message via Yahoo to Search4news
Thumbs up

Hello Jonathan,

Great article with good advice on how to choose profitable affiliate programs.

I agree with your points that affiliate programs should be easy to set up, pay well, and offering products that people are looking for. I think there is a market for everybody, it depends on what niche marketing we are focusing on. The other point is to offer FREE resources too.

Good points Lynn!

Last edited by Search4news; 12th February 2005 at 01:28 PM.
Search4news is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 09:10 AM   #8
gomziwms45

Default Affiliate Programs

Thanks for sharing such a great piece of information. I am sure, this will really help new people joining such programs to make a better choice in selecting such programs.
I think, the main point that poeple should consider while selecting such programs is the source of such programs and the turnout as well as the duration of the turnout from such programs

gomziwms45 is offline   Reply With Quote