Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
The Diamond Pen

Default Small Business Content Starter

Hey all. Not sure if this is in the right place, so mods, feel free to move it if you want.

I'm working on developing a new writing "product" for my business. I want to create something for small business start-ups that includes a business plan, letterhead templates, customer agreements, SOPs, other internal documentation, web copy, 50 or so blog posts, and some press releases. Basically, it will be a complete start-up content/documentation kit that would be completed within 30 days.

However, I'm having trouble with pricing. (I am in general, as I think I'm aiming too high right now, but that's a different discussion.) I'd like to ask you folks here, since I've grown to trust this forum pretty well. So I ask....

What do you think is a reasonable sticker price for this "product"?
How much would you pay for it?
What would you want it to include?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

P.S.: Feel free to also comment on my other prices, if you care to see my website.

Old 14th February 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

How about for free? I know it sounds a bit crazy on first impression but I believe it would be your best approach. Look at Google as a business model. They give it all away for free and earn money on advertising associated with the service they provide. I think you will have a hard time finding demand that is willing to pay a decent price.

For an in depth look at this approach read the book ...

FREE: The Future Of A Radical Price
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Ra.../dp/1401322905

Old 14th February 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
The Diamond Pen

Default !!!!

Wow. You just blew my mind, Logan. Thanks for that.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly (or maybe I did, and I need to blow my mind again). I'm not envisioning something like a template where a user just types in their material. I'm talking about well-written, researched, thorough, heavily proofread, original, unique, hand-written stuff. My thoughts are of providing a personalized, customized "one-stop shop" of sorts to get a business off the ground with all of the content and documentation it would need, completed and delivered. I have plans to include web design in there too, once I find a web designer to partner with. :P

I've looked over Mr. Anderson's theories, and I'm failing to see where the 100% free model fits in with that. I do understand the "freemium" concept...maybe that's where you're leading me? But that seems to fit ready-built products (Skype, WordPress, etc.) more so than services.

Old 14th February 2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Hi Matt, glad I could blow your mind today

I follow you and understand. But give the full book a read, there are so many ways to apply a free pricing approach.

Quote:
I'm not envisioning something like a template where a user just types in their material. I'm talking about well-written, researched, thorough, heavily proofread, original, unique, hand-written stuff. My thoughts are of providing a personalized, customized "one-stop shop" of sorts to get a business off the ground with all of the content and documentation it would need, completed and delivered.
Who says a template approach couldn't. Look at business plan software out there. There are tons that provide highly customized approaches. Outside of your scope, look at tax preparation. Tons of free approaches. Yet some provide paid approaches. you can offer a free version, to attract and market your services. Then also provide a premium paid version to those interested. I'm willing to bet the amount you would make from advertising off the free version would blow away earnings from a premium version.

My approach would be to create a package for a "restaurant" (or other broadly based generic business) with the one stop vision you have. Provide it for free and watch the bees come to it like honey. Then experiment once you have the audience viewing it on how you can earn income. As said one popular approach is advertising.

Old 14th February 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

I would look at your current offering, and see what are the best selling products and in what price range. Price your start-up kit within this range - but on the lower end, since you are trying to (a) attract new business (b) attract companies at the beginning phase of their development (c) presumably looking to retain clients ongoing with new packages as they grow

Old 15th February 2012, 09:07 AM   #6
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

How about research on similar services provided by other companies and gauge how they price it? I believe there isn't really a market price for this, it all depends on how your propective customers value this service. the quality they perceived and the alternatives available.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 06:34 AM   #7
paulplan2profit

Default Tease 'em

Who says you have to give away the whole thing. Give snippets away and tease them. Make them yearn for more. If what you have is good and different you may get them to bite.

I give away "free" stuff and try entice people to BUY more whether it be products or services.

Check this out as an example:

http://www.plan2profit.ca/site/smallbusinesshandbooks

paulplan2profit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 07:51 AM   #8
KateStevensB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
How about for free? I know it sounds a bit crazy on first impression but I believe it would be your best approach. Look at Google as a business model. They give it all away for free and earn money on advertising associated with the service they provide. I think you will have a hard time finding demand that is willing to pay a decent price.
Indeed, part of a better business promotion is freebies. People just can't resist it Might as well think of cool promotional products to distribute.

KateStevensB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 08:15 PM   #9
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Pen View Post
Wow. You just blew my mind, Logan. Thanks for that.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly (or maybe I did, and I need to blow my mind again). I'm not envisioning something like a template where a user just types in their material. I'm talking about well-written, researched, thorough, heavily proofread, original, unique, hand-written stuff. My thoughts are of providing a personalized, customized "one-stop shop" of sorts to get a business off the ground with all of the content and documentation it would need, completed and delivered. I have plans to include web design in there too, once I find a web designer to partner with. :P

I've looked over Mr. Anderson's theories, and I'm failing to see where the 100% free model fits in with that. I do understand the "freemium" concept...maybe that's where you're leading me? But that seems to fit ready-built products (Skype, WordPress, etc.) more so than services.
In order to provide the kind of services you described, you would most probably need a lot of communication with the customers to understand their businesses in depth. You would also require some marketing and branding skills because your writeup needs to serve your customer's expectation, which is most of the time for branding and marketing purposes.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #10
dkern

Hi Matt,

I pondered the same question on a product I am developing with a friend. Here was my thought process:

Free vs $ IMHO, Google, Facebook etc can make tons of money with advertising because they get tons of hits on their pages everyday. No matter how successful my site would be, I couldn't imagine thousands of hits per day. So, other than a free offer to get customers to opt into a email list, etc. I put free aside.

If not free, how much $? I plan to see what the market bears. If $10 does well, I'll try $20? If traffic increases at $20, why not try $40. I spent thousands of dollars starting my bricks and mortar business because i was willing to pay for quality. If you have quality content, why not ask (or test to determine) a fair price?

Dave

dkern is offline   Reply With Quote