Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Arrow Why Does Local Realtor Drop Off Her Print Advertising Flyer Every Week?

Every Tuesday I have the morning off to take one of my daughters to her music lesson. And without fail the local estate agent or realtor walks by with her backpack and dog on a leash and drops a new printed flyer into my letterbox.

The flyer has an image of the latest property she has sold and an invitation to an upcoming open house inspection.

I'm not in the real estate market at the moment, but I admire her passion, effort and commitment to just keeping going. I bet this gets her many sales, as all the neighbors have noted her efforts.

Do you think this is a good strategy, and what would you suggest ways she could improve her return on investment? I am - so curious to know.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:11 AM   #2
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampers View Post
Every Tuesday I have the morning off to take one of my daughters to her music lesson. And without fail the local estate agent or realtor walks by with her backpack and dog on a leash and drops a new printed flyer into my letterbox.
If it works, it's a good strategy. I assume she continues to do it because it works.

It sounds like a good strategy to always inform people of the latest property you were able to sell. It shows you get alot of business, which would make most people assume you're good at what you do.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
platnumcn

Its not just the flyers that matter at times, it is the flyers reaching the right people, which matters. If she wants to make better returns, my suggestion would be to distribute flyers at the right place, then at random ones. That way, more interested people will reach her for her services.

Old 1st August 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumcn View Post
Its not just the flyers that matter at times, it is the flyers reaching the right people, which matters. If she wants to make better returns, my suggestion would be to distribute flyers at the right place, then at random ones. That way, more interested people will reach her for her services.
True. Rather than just blanket the neighborhood she should be optimizing her efforts in order to improve her return.

Old 10th August 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
RoyD.

It works and it is apparently legal in Australia. In the US that's a federal offense I believe. I know it is illegal to put anything in the mail box.

RoyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyD. View Post
It works and it is apparently legal in Australia. In the US that's a federal offense I believe. I know it is illegal to put anything in the mail box.
Wow. Federal offense? Jeez, and yet restaurants are always stuffing restaurants in to our mailbox.

I wonder, are door hangers also a federal offense or is it just the same as putting something in someones mailbox?

Old 9th December 2013, 05:07 AM   #7
ossgraphics

This idea is apparently legal in Australia but not in the US. Its a question of common sense that it is illegal to put anything in the mail box.

ossgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Hampers
VIP Contributor

I can tell you the update is that there are approx 21 houses sold in this suburb monthly, and she is getting seven or so of those sales - plus making a real connection with people who see her out andabout and pounding the pavement as it were.

Illegal? It's illegal to knock on doors selling stuff, but droppping off a flyer?

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 11:37 PM   #9
xthoms

Hampers, we recently wrote an article on what it takes to be a good real estate agent, that you may find interesting given the topic of this thread.

http://contractorquotes.us/what-does...-estate-agent/

She's obviously nailed the "persuasion" bit of it, even though I'd probably personally get a bit annoyed from getting mail from her that often.

I hope it's okay I posted the link even if the thread is old.

xthoms is offline   Reply With Quote