Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th May 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Websumes

Default Average Cost Of A Website?

The question says it all in terms of type of site, lets say:

How much does it cost to build a dating type website?
How much does it cost to build a magazine website like for videogames (i.e gamespot) website?
How much does it cost to build a job board type website?
How much does it cost to build a typical product selling e-commerce website?
How much does it cost to build a (your other ideas)?

What would be typical costs as each of these can fluctuate greatly depending on how big or small the site in question is going to be.

Here's a site that has their take on the matter
http://www.executionists.com/blog/we...websites-2013/

I'd really like to know what some others on here have paid for their sites and who'd they'd go through.

Old 22nd June 2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Babiesbase

Default Websites

I always try to think in terms of whole costs.

for me there is little value in building a website without promoting it, and I think more than 95% of costs should go to that activity.

Its different of course if your business is web design, or you need a large number of sites for a project.

Old 22nd June 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Websumes

Thanks Babiesbase for chiming in on this.

Promoting a website certainly does factor into the equation. I was curious about those of us in situations where you have to hire a firm to design, build and maintain a website, what are the costs associated with that method?

I was trying to gauge this because some people might try to save and build a site on their own, while others use a firm or do a combination of both. In the event of a combo approach one might hire a designer but handle all the back-end stuff themselves or vice versa depending on the site they wish to create.

Promoting a website seemed too variable for my initial question; I'm not sure if I omitted it or just didn't think about it. But certainly if anyone would like to share that information they can as it can only benefit. It is a tricky "science."

Old 23rd June 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
phanio
VIP Contributor

What does the cost really matter if you have to have a website to run your business? The cost is not the issue - the issue is what you do with that site to earn money to 1) cover that website development cost and 2) earn your business some significant revenue.
Might be focusing on the wrong thing. Plus, there are many things that you can do on your own - learn to do on your own - that can take your website development (initial and on going) costs to near zero other then your domain purchaser and hosting.

Old 23rd June 2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Websumes

I understand what you are saying Phanio.

My question is pretty broad so there are many ways to answer. Thanks for adding onto the discussion.

"What does the cost really matter if you have to have a website to run your business?"

This question is really geared toward those who might consider starting a web business. But can also include brick and mortars that is just starting out and are curious as to what the cost distribution is generally speaking.

Some people might simply be curious as to what it takes to own and operate a professional looking website. Though one can learn these things it takes a tremendous amount of skill to make it look right. Then there's the back-end infrastructure one may have to learn as well. The challenge also depends on if you use services like Wordpress or do the unthinkable and hardcode everything yourself. All things one can learn but gaining that knowledge takes you further away from focusing on how you will run your business (depending on what that business is of course). If someone's running a blog maybe one can invest some time in developing everything themselves but if you have a Joe's Hammer Shop you're probably going to want to pay someone to set the website up for you.

So for some people they may want to hire a development house who has the expertise in aesthetics and infrastructure to really give their site a leg up in whatever market they are trying to get into. Even serial entrepreneurs eventually hire firms to build their next company.

In regards to your question I suppose I could have said what are/were the initial costs of setting up a website? Whether one chooses to make their own or hire a firm.

Cost can be an issue if one chooses to hire a firm I think.

Once one understands the initial costs involved they can perhaps find where they fit into the spectrum with regards to their business idea. They made need to save a little more money to hire a firm. They may realize they can build it themselves or do some mixture of both.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks.

Old 20th July 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
platnumcn

The cost depends upon the vendor, who you choose for the services that you require. A reputed vendor might charge a bit higher, whereas a newbie might offer the same services at a reasonable rate.

Another factor, which is considered, is your requirement from your site. The more the requirement, the higher will be its cost.

Old 30th July 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
OmniLeasing

I would say it really all depends on what you want done on your site. Images, how many pages, how much content you are wanting placed on your home page, and other pages you want added. It's hard to just give out a price range not knowing all the details.. But I would say about 1500-2000$ will get you a well built site.

OmniLeasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 02:49 AM   #8
Cindy16

I think the cost would depend on what type of site is to be built.. If it's a plain site then its cheaper but if we talk about e-commerce and/or system sites then I think that would require you to drop thousands of dollars.

Old 14th February 2014, 05:33 PM   #9
MWCC TC

If you just need some designing done then it would be much cheaper than most sites. But if you need some programming done, which most sites do, then it could cost a few bucks more.

I've never paid over 3k for a website. I've dealt with horrible designers who try to charge an arm and a leg. I've also dealt with amazing designers who lump in the programming cost with the initial design and it costs 1/4 of what I thought it would.

You will pay too much when you start to get websites built unless you're the lucky one who finds both a good programmer and designer right off the bat. And if you find someone who can do both programming and design AND doesn't charge a lot, well then you should go play the lottery lol

I have a few people who do programming for me and one guy who does all my designs. It took me roughly 8-10 designers until I found the one I liked and it took me 20+ programmers until I stopped getting mad at them lol. I just wasn't lucky when it came to hiring a dedicated programmer.

Everyones experience is different though.

MWCC TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 07:32 AM   #10
sb1 design

Send a message via Skype™ to sb1 design

Cost really depends on the type of company you target to build your site, and of course the brief you give them.

These days a small business or sole trader can have their website built by a one man freelance web designer for just a few hundred pounds.

With the power of Wordpress and the availability of thousands of themes online, (many of which are increasingly sophisticated, with responsive smart phone/tablet ready design and eCommerce functionality if required) - a client can have a professional website built within a very short turn around time and no need to deal with a team full of developers.

Themes are also easy to customise to a clients needs, and the style of their business.

However, a larger business/corporation will always end up going for a developing house to design and build their site. Here they will pay several thousand pounds to have a bespoke site built to their specific requirements.

I actually supply the former, affordable small business sites. However, recently I have helped a friend who has paid 5000 for site built by an inhouse developing team. I have actually been shocked by what they have spent over 6 months creating: A site no more sophisticated than a $50 premium Wordpress theme. (That doesn't even work on smart-phones).

Although you can obviously get great results with the right company, if you go down the expensive route for a website for your business, I really think you have to be careful and have a clear understanding of what it is you need.

Last edited by sb1 design; 16th February 2014 at 03:45 PM.
sb1 design is offline   Reply With Quote